The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Life is Strange

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #164849  by kali o.
 Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 am
This game is SE's take on the Telltale formula...and I have to admit, it is pretty promising. It's hard to make a final judgement on just one episode, but definitely worth checking out.

The only complaint I have is the episode has no real climax or intense moments. Telltale is pretty good about ending each ep with some major drama and making the player want the next episode immediately. Life is Strange doesn't quite do that.

You can find Life is Strange on Steam, PSN, XBL or your local torrent site (PM me for linkz!!!).
 #164850  by Replay
 Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:00 am
Looked very good to me, worth checking out for sure - kind of like the Dreamfall titles, some real narrative storytelling using the medium. If my Xbox HD weren't full up I would have bought it.
 #164861  by Shrinweck
 Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:55 pm
This is up my alley, but I'm probably going to wait until most of the episodes are out before I purchase it.
 #165338  by Shrinweck
 Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:26 am
I picked this up and went through the first episode and wasn't disappointed. I do kind of have to agree that not ending on some kind of cliffhanger is probably a weakness for this game. While I'm certainly going to play through all the episodes, I feel a lot less anticipation than I would with a Telltale game. I do like how the consequences in this game work. In The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us series when you do something you're basically greeted with life and death consequences, or at the very least an obvious good/bad outcome. I'm not really getting a sense of that in this game.
 #165346  by Shrinweck
 Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:40 am
Finished episode two. Lots of Twin Peaks references in this game.
Spoiler: show
I think Nathan and David Madsen are the easy scapegoats here, but I'm going to guess that Jefferson is the real villain here. I get the sense that Madsen's heart is in the right place and that Nathan is just some idiot being used by the real antagonist. Just don't trust the super suave teacher and there was that rumor that was hinted at in the first episode that Jefferson slept with Rachel Amber. Even that trailer trash guy with the dog had a bit of a heartfelt moment in the montage with his dog and I hate to be that person, but people who treat animals well don't make for good villains. That includes weird, in an X-files kinds of way, janitor dude.

Also if you snooped enough through Chloe's house there are medication bottles in the bathroom. Since the last shot in the game had medication bottles on the desk with the weird stalker scrapbooks, I think it's safe to assume that the books belong to Madsen. I'm not really sure what explanation could indicate that someone with these scrapbooks wouldn't be a creepy kidnapper, but I just don't think Madsen did it. On this note, I think with this episode that if you did things like photograph the Kate-Madsen argument, and implicate him there's probably a good chance that at some point you can implicate Madsen, over, say, Jefferson/Nathan in a more permanent way. I think that decision in the principal's office was a pretty big indicator of where the game will go with who will end up being the villain. I went with Nathan since at the very least he's fucking drugging women and deserves whatever the fuck he gets for that shit, but I get the sense blaming Jefferson will be the better choice later.

I get the feeling that this is not a game with a planned (or possible) sequel, at least with the current characters (time traveling episodic story games I think should definitely keep getting made, probably with recurring themes). I think this (unlike Telltale Games) lets them have a last episode with very different endings where it's quite possible to get the wrong person in trouble (or even permanent protagonist death). I also want to say the fact that Chloe keeps almost dying is probably very significant, but that could be going a few ways - Max sacrificing herself at the end to protect Chloe (weak) or maybe permanently saving her being what fixes things in New Arcadia
 #165361  by kali o.
 Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:49 am
I thought I was special...
...but ya, that was my thought too. The dirty teacher thing...it could apply to Rachel, Kate and, even Max. But I guess it could be a misdirect...and what would that have to do with time manipulation (unless it was Max just imagining it all due to trauma of rape/sexual exploitation/dirty photo session...but that seems like a dumb twist).
Anyway, I still like the quality of the game...and the *choices* appear to have the promise of consequences. I wish there was more action though. The final part of episode 2 was really cool...but I wouldn't call it action.
 #165365  by Shrinweck
 Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:50 am
Yeah that last little sequence was neat.

One of the things I forgot to mention was that it was definitely a good idea to change the "This action will have consequences" line to little butterflies because, I'm sorry, but watering my plant is probably not going to have consequences :D

It WOULD be funny if the episode five reveal was the plant only needs to be watered once a month and we killed it.
 #165534  by Shrinweck
 Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:05 am
I gave this a little more thought, and while I stand by my prediction of the villain based on the information we have now, it dawned on me that at 2-3 episodes in Telltale Games made it basically impossible to guess who the main antagonist that would get dealt with in the final episode was. I'm going to guess by the fact that Max has been given the ability to control motherfucking time, that some asshole kidnapping teenage girls probably only plays into where the story will go in a transitional way. Depending on how much this game is going to actually borrow from Twin Peaks (which is a fair amount so far), the main antagonist could literally be the embodiment of evil, which could potentially play into all the times Max essentially has a good/evil decision that can be made.
 #165883  by Shrinweck
 Wed May 13, 2015 5:21 pm
Episode three is out next week. I wonder if I'll play it over Witcher 3 lol
 #165889  by kali o.
 Thu May 14, 2015 12:42 am
It'll be like ~90 minutes...I am sure you can find the time :)

Personally, I am looking forward to Life is Strange ep3 more than the Witcher...but I am sure I will enjoy Witcher more in the long run.
 #165893  by Shrinweck
 Thu May 14, 2015 8:59 am
Heh you're probably right. There's a satisfaction to the condensed story of games like this, where in Witcher 3 I already know an awful lot of it is going to be walking/fighting from place to place so I can gather things so I can gather more things from this other place I have to walk and fight to. Also my video card is still one under the minimum requirement so I may be overnighting a $60 video card lol. My BIOS and videocard do heavily support overclocking though, so I'll probably be able to tweak it so I can run Witcher 3 if I'm feeling daring
 #165930  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 19, 2015 12:23 am
Played through this since Witcher 3 is a no go for me until Wednesday. The end was pretty nuts but basically nothing happened/got revealed in this episode. Not bad, but by far worse than the other two episodes. Too much indie music reminiscing, not enough actual investigation. Still an 8 or 9 out of 10 series but this was a rather poor showing.

So little gets revealed that I can't even adjust my theory on what's happening. In a word: disappointing.
 #165944  by kali o.
 Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 am
Ya...all of the "evidence" revealed nothing...and I dislike Chloe more each episode. Odd twist at the end too... it's like a sudden B story that overwrites everything that happened so far.

Confused now...

Strangely, I enjoyed playing this episode more though...not sure if it was due to the gameplay or the lesbian undertones. Will have to run through again on my second save slot and see if I can put my finger on what I liked about this ep.
 #165946  by Shrinweck
 Thu May 21, 2015 12:48 pm
Yeah, DUH, kiss Chloe. How is that even a choice? 92% of the people who played agreed lol
 #166332  by Shrinweck
 Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:00 am
I looked up release estimates (which AFAIK they've been hitting) and episode four is due this month.

Also the devs confirmed that if they were to make a sequel it would be with a new cast, which'll probably be the biggest difference between this and the TTG competitors. Looking forward to the end even more now. Unfortunately, they're developing a vampire game called Vampyr about a vampire doctor in the early 20th century. As annoying as the prospect of more vampire shit is.... it does kind of look interesting in the teaser. Maybe Life is Strange'll end up being successful enough for them to develop the sequel at the same time.
 #166447  by Shrinweck
 Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:48 pm
Episode four due out on the 28th which technically makes me right but I was honestly expecting it two weeks ago. Still, it's gotta be better than Game of Thrones :D
 #166455  by Shrinweck
 Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 pm
Fuck episode four was so good. It took me over three hours to get through which was a pleasant surprise in an episodic game that are usually dominated by 90-150 minute iterations.

The ending reveal was surprising in that I didn't expect them to reveal it before the last episode. I had guessed that
Jefferson was the villain here and the idea was still banging around in my head even though the game was so consistently pointing the finger at Nathan. Still, Nathan did buy the GHB and I guess the fact that the dark room had Nathan's jacket in it proves that he's complicit in this in some way. I'm surprised that Chloe was so unceremoniously shot, but not so much that she died. In every episode she would have died without Max and in a game about time it just stinks of inevitability. Even in this one in the alternative reality it ends with her dying. I'm also surprised that it happened in this episode rather than the next one (but it does make the cliffhanger so much better). I honestly find it hard to believe in a time travel game that she won't be involved SOMEHOW with the last episode. That fucking dream deer was there. Maybe the writers'll magic her ass to safety. I hope so - I really like her as a character in the game even if she is a teenage brat.
I really liked this episode in just about every way. LOTS of little things to investigate and have Max indie bullshit monologue her adorable way about. The investigative sequence was also really enjoyable. Max even gave me the solution to one of the adventure game sequences before I even had a chance to start to get annoyed. All in all, this game is constructed wonderfully and this episode is a ten out of ten compared to the last one.

Theory/guess work:
It isn't blatant as to how Max is going to get out of the dark room. She has her magic time plot power, but it's clear that drugged up she can't do anything. Either she sobers up and does her thing or Chloe's step-father goes into Chloe's room, puts things together, and shit goes down involving him and guns or at least finding her and getting her out of there.

There are a LOT of story triggers involving her friends at the school. While little consequence butterflies don't pop up every time you ask about Nathan at the party, it's hard to believe that Max's disappearance wouldn't be ALL KINDS of connected the second anyone started to try to put things together. She was also sober and turned down multiple attempts to get her to drink/smoke pot. But in the end, I think helping the school children will basically only amount to a happier ending, not necessarily contributing to the actual plot.

Nathan's father is clearly involved in something sinister. Getting people to clear out of town makes me think that something really, really terrible is there and the father wants everyone gone so he can cover it up. All this world ending shit and Max's superpowers and that dream deer make me think that something pretty nuts is going to get revealed.

I really just.. have no idea where this last episode can really take us next. Looking forward to it.

Edit: After sleeping on it - I could definitely see Max depleting her power forever to retcon Chloe's death. This could be done well before the ending of the last episode, giving permanence to final decisions thus giving people an excuse to replay/talk about the game once it's over.
 #166473  by kali o.
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 am
Ya, I shouldn't be surprised, as I also agreed with you, but it did surprise me a little bit after everything involving Nathan...that said...my rambling thoughts:
The last part was kind of stupid, since they basically went to the party to kill a student. Rather poor writing.

I admit, prior to the Jefferson reveal, when Victoria won the contest, I also figured the game would somehow end later with Max retconning the whole thing with a time travel and submitting her photo that was trashed in the first bathroom scene (not particularly inventive writing, but the clues, including the contest name, are there). But with Jefferson reveal...I don't know how it will play out. And I am totally confused on how time travel and the secret Prescott cabal plays into it all.

David is out there armed, and has no problem tailing Chloe, so I guess he could save the day...

I doubt Chloe stays dead...but how many times do I have to save the ungrateful bitch?

I found Max to be overly emo in dialog this episode...it started to annoy me.

I am totally amazed Warren lived through the episode.
 #166478  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 am
Someone I follow on Twitch was playing this and I checked them out as they played the first ten minutes
Jefferson has this great line about putting any student into a corner and taking a picture of them with desperation on their face.

I think you might be right about the total time wipe to the beginning of the game, but it feels a little disappointing to just leave behind all of the established story - it could also be that time travel type thing where she gets sent back to a perfect world but shakes it off and ends up going back to the completely fucked one to fix what she can.
 #166483  by kali o.
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:04 am
Yeah, I remember that. I plan to play through all Eps again before the final release. Some of the messages found through Nathan (assumed from the Dad) appeared pretty....odd...kinda want to re-read them to see if I am remembering correctly.
I doubt it, but it is not possible Jefferson is Nathan's dad...is it?
 #166488  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 am
No there's 1-2 pictures that include his father and it definitely isn't him. The
Jefferson-Prescott connection has yet to be made, both towards the father and the son. It's odd the father hasn't been introduced yet, though.
 #166490  by kali o.
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 am
Shrinweck wrote:No there's 1-2 pictures that include his father and it definitely isn't him. The
Jefferson-Prescott connection has yet to be made, both towards the father and the son. It's odd the father hasn't been introduced yet, though.
Ya, I remember 1 in his room and possibly 1 in a paper but...
I remember some strange comments like: "You can't be calling my name out in public!" and "this is not a hobby, it's a job!" or something similar. I may be misremembering or putting it out of context. Even the picture aside, the likelihood of his dad becoming a famous photographer under a different alias is absurd...but again, the emails/messages from the Dad were pretty odd.
In any case, I do plan a new play through, and see if things look different with what I know now.
 #166492  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:13 am
Yeah the
hobby thing means that the father probably knows both what is going on and put him up to it/taught him how to do it in the first place. I also attributed it to the old Prescott link to the town and whatever big thing'll get revealed in the final episode pertaining to how it's their fault.

Calling his name out in public probably has more to do with him not wanting his son flipping out in public and people knowing it's due to family tensions/whatever fucked up shit they're doing in the first place. I got the sense that on the surface it's supposed to look like a father in the public eye not wanting his name dragged through the mud, but it'll probably end up having to do with what is probably a family tradition of ritual murder. This is somewhat further supported by his father telling him to use burner/temporary cell phones.
I started a second play through when my computer was broken a month or so ago. I might go back to it at some point. I don't think there's any choice I've made that I want to change at this point though. There were a couple things in episode three that I thought I'd made a mistake with, but in episode four they actually ended up being positives (i.e. not finding the gun in the trailer).
 #166525  by kali o.
 Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:18 am
My random thoughts after playing through again...
- max destroys photo, butterfly (effect) enters, max gets powers. So I imagine she will retconn the whole thing with the photo. Name of the 1st episode is chrysalis.

- I used to think the spectral doe was Rachel or a tie back to the native mythos, but now I think it might make more sense if it was Chloe (snow globe doe and all that) somehow.

- Chloe's death is inevitable. The fact that max keeps saving her just causes ripple effects fucking up the world / timelines. Chloe needs to die in the bathroom.

- Max gets the tornado vision whenever chloe is going to die...more like a warning to "stop fucking saving her". The second moon winks out when they head off to Chloe's final death.

- I know why I thought maybe Mark was potentially Nathan's dad...some of those notes that are framed to be from his dad (the throwaway cell phone and not a hobby messages) are actually from Mr. Jefferson, who is mentoring Nathan...but why then does Nathan think Rachel is still alive in the Café?

- I think Sean Prescott is just a red herring - a distant rich Dad, made to seem cultish when you take in some of Jeffersons messages.

- But then who was Jefferson talking on the phone after Kate Marsh? Nathan was in the classroom...

- Principal seems likely...if for no other reason than he has pretty much been designed to not be suspicious and the Whiskey connection (Office, Episode 2 ending, Dark Room). But I suppose that could just be another red herring...though oddly timed near the end of the episode.

- How does it all tie together...? No idea. I doubt it is a simple serial killer / time travel paradox.
Not claiming any of that is right but those were the thoughts that popped in when I played through again with a new perspective.
 #166527  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:33 am
I dunno, I think the principal is just an asshole

Pointed guesses:
kind of like Chloe's step-father - a mislead in the beginning for people not paying attention. He just isn't used enough as a character and that sad bit with him in I think it was episode three was a sentimental moment that Jefferson never had. Also the principal would just be out of left field. He wasn't even in the fourth episode. Just doesn't work as the mastermind - he's just a Prescott pawn that facilitates whatever they're doing by keeping the school up and running and acting in their interest.

The Prescotts are clearly up to something big and have been for a very long time in the town. Evil shit that wasn't worth establishing if it's just Jefferson murdering children. It's possible Nathan was just complicit with the photographing and kidnapping of people - this would kind of justify Victoria liking him and his story not ending with him being completely nonredeemable.

I just don't think it isn't some butterfly effect from Chloe getting rescued. The snowglobe deer thing seems possible, although at this point it could just as likely be William her father as a guardian.

I don't think the tornado visions happen closely enough to saving Chloe to be linked with it entirely - maybe if she were passing out after/immediately waking up to it every time (kind of like the first episode, but even that had quite a delay). The tornado vision still happens despite Chloe getting murdered at the end of episode four, although at that point if you are correct obviously the damage is already done.

My guess is along the lines of the Prescott father masterminding whatever Super Evil Plan gets revealed in the last episode. He's trying to raise his son to take over the family business so to speak and brought Jefferson to the school in order to help him along or some shit. Maybe something went wrong with the way Rachel Amber was ritual murdered. I think in the past it was people without links to society/the world - transients, homeless, drug addicts - people that 'won't be missed.' I think Rachel Amber was something Jefferson fucked up (also she was missed, obviously) - and some occulty shit happened. In this scenario Rachel Amber would be the dream deer, I guess.
Bullshit off-the-cuff-ery:
I just think taking everything back would just be a shitty ending. I'd like to think the chrysalis episode title had more to do with Max transitioning from useless to actually getting involved in matters. In this ending in order for there being a point to this game at all somehow it would have to involve Jefferson already being in prison and Nathan Prescott wouldn't even kill Chloe in the first place. Unless the suggestion here is that somehow killing Chloe in the bathroom balloons out to Jefferson/Nathan getting caught but even that's pretty meh. I don't think this is a butterfly effect kind of game, despite the THERE'S CLEARLY A BUTTERFLY THE SECOND SHE GETS HER POWER response to that lol. I think the butterfly was more of a messenger/symbol kind of thing.

There is a LOT of nature in this game - the dream deer, the lengthy discussions with the groundkeeper Samuel about nature/animals, beached whales. It's hard to imagine that a big part of this won't be the Prescott's doing something unnatural that upsets nature and that's why Max was basically given her power BY nature to fix things. Before they bring about this unnatural disaster (the big ass tornado). If it's the butterfly effect then the tornado would be Max's fault which just doesn't seem to jive with me. She was given these powers to use them - Chloe's death is definitely getting hit on as being inevitable, but I'm not seeing it as a major role in the disaster - maybe more of a "sometimes shit just happens like it's supposed to and we can't do anything about it" kind of lesson.

At its simplest I think two moons represents getting pulled in two directions/having two choices to make. One going away may mean that going to the junkyard with Chloe was one of these choices and could likely lead to complete and utter failure. That would mean we're in for a depressing as fuck opening to episode five before she time travels and chooses the other option. I dunno though, symbolism can mean so god damned much.
Edit: Separated after I realized how long this post was lol
 #166529  by kali o.
 Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:49 pm
All interesting points. But to play devils advocate:
Since you brought up Samuel, there is a point in the game where he is talking about the animals dying and says something along the lines "its ok if it is their fate". At another point, it is said "nature is trying to correct itself". So when you apply those statements to chloe continually avoiding her fate, it kinda makes sense. Of course, a simple paradox in that scenario, doesnt make sense on its own, like where/why did max get powers exactly..so I am sure I am at least missing something.

As for who else is behind it, I look to the most reliable evidence in this case....business reality. Its likely too late (and too expensive) to add a new voice actor/model to the game for a single episode. If there is anyone else, it likely has to be an existing character....the principal is the most likely, with Samuel a far distant 2nd.
 #166536  by kali o.
 Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:21 pm
Actually, I just had another thought while rereading our discussion, that I am pretty sure is 100% accurate and at least partially supports my position...maybe..
Chloe is obviously coming back in the last episode, which means Max is going photo diving again. The reason the second moon winks out is because that is when the two timelines diverge. Which means Max is jumping into warrens drunk selfie and they dont stupidly peel off to the junk yard again.
 #166547  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:43 pm
Oh I forgot about that last selfie I was trying to remember if there was a picture she could use or if they'd just introduce something else and I guess that would be it.

I don't think the cost of a model/voice actor is prohibitive enough for that to be the case. I think voice acting is done mostly through contracted voice acting studios so grabbing another person already on the payroll won't be a big deal as long as they don't go for like Hollywood A/B listers. It's hard to believe that if it is an unintroduced character that they haven't even modeled them yet, but these studios that do episodic games aren't transparent in what goes on the months between releases so it's hard to say. They aren't really making an action game here, the guy only really needs to walk and talk and he's already in pictures so at the very least the model can do poses.
 #166552  by kali o.
 Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:13 am
The month+ wait is going to annoy me this time...

I need to avoid episodic games until all eps are out.
 #166943  by Shrinweck
 Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:44 am
Looks like October 20 for episode five.
 #166959  by kali o.
 Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:31 am
I assume I will be neck deep in fallout but I will make time for this on release day...I am intensely curious whether answers will prove cool...or silly.
 #166961  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:36 am
We'll have 20 days to circle jerk about this game before Fallout 4 unless you're talking about replaying the other games.
 #166972  by kali o.
 Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:56 pm
I had October on my brain for the release of FO4. No idea why.

Oh well...thats actually a good thing, I am super busy until november.
 #167006  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:49 pm
I'm looking forward to this more than Fallout 4.
 #167065  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:12 pm
On the off chance you hit this thread before you go in the last episode I finally figured out how to do those damned polaroid focuses. Hold A or D until the photo flashes white and then immediately stop. Then do the same with the mouse buttons. Just was not evident for me until I'd done it a few times.
 #167067  by Shrinweck
 Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:10 am
Okay I finished it...
I think the story meshed together pretty well and the endings were... strong for what they were. The sacrifice Chloe ending was the better ending and basically what I was expecting once the story shifted to the storm being Max's fault. I think the butterfly effect was a weak premise to tell this story with and they didn't even bother explaining how she got the power over time in the first place. All of my theories were based on the premise that they'd explain her powers but they didn't even try, so yeah, looks like we were on the money with the whole Chloe needing to die thing and you were more right about that being what ended up basically the sole reason the environment was going to hell.

The sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending was pretty god awful. This is basically the psychopath ending. I'm not really sure anyone who could actually sit by and watch a town get wiped away and then smile as they drive through the wreckage because they still have each other would be any better morally then Jefferson and Nathan. To be perfectly honest I sacrificed Chloe in my first go at the endings just because I assumed she would fucking kill herself to force Max to not destroy a fucking town to save one person. While I think this is the psychopath ending, the other thing to call it would be the teenager ending. You give the power of a fucking god to a teenager, expect them to do the right fucking thing, and next thing you know a fucking town is annihilated and they're smiling while driving through the wreckage.

I really liked the last moments you got with all the other characters... excluding the students who (other than Warren) got zero face time because I guess fuck them. I think the biggest problem is that the game made you think the other students did matter but all the game did with you spending all this time with their bullshit was throw it all in your fucking face during the dream sequence. (Edit: it occurs to me that Kate, Nathan, and Victoria all got adequate send offs, but the choices you made with them still didn't matter)

Also fuck that stealth sequence. They programmed it so that if you got stuck it would typically return you to a safe point but at one point (when I was 97% of the way through the damned thing) I got stuck and had to reload the entire-fucking-thing because I actually managed to get stuck and it didn't respawn me. This sequence really didn't need to be the game. At all. It didn't do anything for the story. And it probably fucked up the atmosphere. Also fuck those bottles. If I knew it was for a photograph achievement I 100% would have skipped it lol. The line about bottle karma kinda made me smile though.

So in the end I would give this game a strong eight out of ten. Despite the cop out on explaining her powers, the fact that literally no choices but the last one actually mattered (especially if you sacrifice Arcadia Bay), and the heavy lean on the butterfly effect I think that in general this game was quite a strong way to tell a story. I do however think that the cop out on explaining her powers and focusing instead on the butterfly effect basically killed the premise (at least for me) for this game getting a sequel. They said they would throw out Max and Chloe to tell a completely new story and at this point I'm not 100% sure I would be into that. As a series where the iterations are linked by individuals given a power (it would not have to be time travel) I think this could have worked, but without an explanation it just doesn't feel like the series could or should go anywhere. It would just be a thematically similar sequel which just doesn't really need to happen.

I think this game is a GREAT example of why it's simultaneously better to wait for an entire episodic series to fully release before buying it, but also why it's better to buy early. On one hand the ride is a special thing to be a part of, but I dunno, if I wasn't somewhat pleased with the story ending (mostly because it actually ended without any "To be continueds") I would be SUPER disappointed by the lack of explanation on her powers.

I'm looking forward to this Vampyr game they're putting out next but not as much as I was, say, a few hours ago.
TLDR no spoiler review of the game as a complete product: Strong 8/10 game which probably tells a story better than its Telltale Games counterparts but ultimately didn't meet the high expectations it inspired in me in episodes one, two, and four. Still as a whole, this is closer to what I wish episodic games were.
 #167082  by kali o.
 Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 am
Reading some of my earlier comments again, I am happy my guesses were mostly correct...but like I said, if that's it, it is pretty weak storytelling... What actually kind of annoyed me was...
...the writers literally...like three times...said some version of "and we will never know the source of your powers!". That's just lazy and I really wish there was more.
Still liked the game though.
 #167087  by Shrinweck
 Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:43 pm
I would say that to exacerbate the lack of an explanation,
the deer came back to lead you to the bathroom again in the dream sequence AND during said dream sequence Rachel Amber's text to you was something along the lines of "I'll see you soon, bitch" which gave me hope that there actually would be an explanation.
 #167095  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:55 pm
PC Gamer did a nice little write up (obviously spoilers) of the ending that I agree with and brings up another point that bothered me a whole lot but I didn't mention.
Mainly the idea that using her power to mess with events was the wrong thing to do. But it's a game designed around this mechanic. I mean, what the fuck. That would be like... Euro Truck Simulator 3 ending with a flood because people like you were pumping carbon into the atmosphere and the sea levels rose. I mean, really? So what actually is the ultimate premise behind this game? Acceptance that shitty things sometimes happen to people we love? Is it just another fucking story about the butterfly effect? I wish people would just fuck off about the butterfly effect. It has to be my least favorite time travel cliche.
 #170171  by Shrinweck
 Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm
Picking up the prequel Kali? I played through the first episode and it took about three hours. I enjoyed playing it just as much as the previous game.

I'm going to do my best not to place high expectations on the game giving me a good explanation on what the fuck is going on this time. I do really like where the game is going so far, though. I think it's establishing characters for the eventual proper Life is Strange sequel.

I really like how the time travel mechanic with Max inspired the idea of trying to make everything perfect, but knowing Chloe and how things end up just make you much more okay with just leaving things in shambles. The humanizing moments with Chloe are fun too but fucking with dickheads with her is definitely entertaining.
This prequel does make the original game much more depressing though. Knowing that Chloe died thinking Max basically abandoned her and no longer cares is really depressing. Knowing that all this shit lead to her fucking up her life enough to get killed by fucking Nathan Prescott is upsetting. I do kind of expect some kind of fucked up explanation that leads to the Prescott father being fucking horrible and all this stuff spiraling out from him, but I would imagine that would happen in the sequel.
Edit: A lot of people seem to find a great deal of the game super cringy. Given Chloe's personality and the original LiS I'm surprised they have this much of a problem with it. In any case it definitely is at least a little worse given that Chloe is 2-3 years younger so she's definitely more of an annoying turd. Still liked it overall. I still found her dumb ass angst charming in that way where you're with your younger family or out around people and you see a teenager doing something HORRIBLE and all you can do is laugh (at them) in your head.
 #170172  by kali o.
 Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 pm
I played Ep1. My opinion is both rachel and chloe are not at all likable. Couple that with my disappointment in the overall plot in LIS1....well, I am not confident I will like it at the end. But obviously I will play them as they release.

Ps - ep1 was a little too short. I did enjoy the d&d game though.
 #170173  by Shrinweck
 Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:59 am
This new episode helped me forgive for how much I hated the last episode of the first game.

The D&D game was definitely a highlight. I do agree we haven't really been given any real reason to like Rachel yet. I've always liked Chloe for the most part and even though she's a shittier teenager at 16 then at 19 there's still some of that. The game seems to reward you for playing her as more likeable but there are definitely opportunities to forgo that and dislike her. I tried another playthrough without trying to burn bridges quite so much (I still argued with David, though) and came out feeling not quite as icy towards Chloe. Oh and Victoria - I liked trying to be kind with her as Max but being a bitch to her with Chloe just feels right.

The writing seems to want you to play Chloe as a good person who needs to advocate for herself because of preconceived notions, but if you play her as horrible the writing falls apart a bit. The mood in conversations seems to waiver between hostile and understanding at odd intervals if you play agro against, say, her mother.

So I guess Max's symbol was the butterfly because *shiver* the butterfly effect, Chloe's is the raven because.... death and freedom? and I'm guessing Rachel is the doe but I'm unsure of the symbolism other than I suppose youth and nature. Chloe having a snowglobe in her house with a doe in it seems like something that could mean something symbolically at some point, though. Actually... she shakes it up and it starts snowing - maybe it's already symbolically relevant lol

Max's visions seemed to tend to push her towards solving the mystery of Rachel Amber's death and Chloe's visions seem to be about mellowing out and befriending Rachel. I can't really fathom where this really seems to be going, but this game series is one giant Twin Peaks reference after another (Firewalk is a reference to the Twin Peaks movie Fire Walk with Me, for example). Having watched this new season of Twin Peaks has made me more okay with just sitting back and enjoying the ride with certain shows/games.

I'm getting character design-y vibes off the arm-sleeve-tattoo'd smoking woman. My out-of-the-blue guess is that the upcoming proper LiS sequel will feature her in some way.
 #170270  by Shrinweck
 Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm
This new chapter was probably much better although it didn't have any D&D-like stand out moments. I half expected Rachel Amber to use the candles to set everything on fire but I'll definitely take that interesting story reveal instead. Before chapter one I was curious where things were going to go with this - I wasn't sure if this series was going to be more about their relationship or with Chloe dealing with the disappearance. I think the main task of this series (other than a view into Chloe's world) is to get us to like Rachel Amber... and I'm not sure they've done that yet, but this chapter was a step in the right direction.

It isn't perfect (I noticed 2-3 extremely awkward snap-to instant animations) but I think one of the strongest things this series has is the animation and graphics. In this regard this series really just shits all over everything Telltale has to offer.

Like the first episode it took me three hours to complete but I look at everything and speak to everyone.
 #170279  by kali o.
 Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 am
I think the Tempest was intended to be Ep2's " D&D moment". But that was kind of weird because Chloe, as far as I know her, would in no way have actually participated in the play -- Rachel or not.

I am still hampered by not really giving a shit about Chloe or Rachel -- and if I don't give a shit, it's hard to like the game. In fact, if I don't care about them, I am more likely to get annoyed at the little things (shitty/annoying dialog, plot oddities, fucking annoying indie soundtrack).

As negative as I sound (and it is a largely negative experience for me so far) I will play ep3...hell, I have to since apparently that was the only way to buy ep2 in a bundle...

I do agree that graphic-wise, and just overall production quality, it puts Telltale to shame.
 #170283  by Shrinweck
 Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:43 pm
While I do like this prequel in general, I'm probably looking forward to the extra younger Max episode they're going to put out after episode three more than episode three.

And yeah I think the Tempest was supposed to stand out more but... maybe there's already enough storm symbolism in this series lol
 #170357  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm
Well it's over. I thought the last episode itself was a bit of a mixed bag but I generally still feel good about the prequel as a whole. The actual end of the episode and the epilogue montage were likeable for me, though. I'd hoped for more but I'm not disappointed with what I got. The end of the montage with the reference to her murder was done perfectly.

The D&D scene was not very good, in my opinion. It's like they heard us loud and clear that it was the stand out moment in episode one so they rushed to put it into episode three. As an actual coming together moment it was a nice addition to the game, but they missed a big part of what made the D&D scene great which was Chloe being a savage. Maybe they felt that that kind of levity would have been too much of a mood changer given the circumstances in the hospital buuuuut it just wasn't as good as episode one.

Still looking forward to more Max and the original voice actress for Chloe returning for the bonus episode, but I can't imagine her part being anything more than flashbacks and/or voicemail.
 #170383  by kali o.
 Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm
I dunno...the last episode was both the worst in quality and the most enjoyable. I'm not totally sure why it was the most enjoyable...maybe it was just the fact that it tied everything off finally.

Quality wise, there was some seriously weak voice actors, plot holes, very odd writing (Elliot, the DA w/ Damon, etc). Actually, that last one is the most glaring issue...was this written by a whole new team? Frank doesn't make sense anymore...and why would they introduce a generic villain like Damon when the DA colluding with/through, say, Prescott, would have made way more logical sense in the overall story? I'm not saying a Prescott is a thug, but he is an immoral guy who would have connections to bad people -- and that's putting aside killing Sera as being stupid to begin with.

I didn't get the DnD scene...I'm surprised you gave the money to Damon in that scene. Very un-Chloe-like :)

PS - Oh ya. I think the "bonus" episode thing is essentially scummy DLC. I won't be paying for these games in the future thanks to that decision.
 #170384  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 am
I dunno Chloe is greedy (drug dealing and all) but she's never an excessively shitty person other than the drug dealing that gets her killed. She's shitty but her heart is generally in the right place. I felt like giving the money at the last second was suitable to her. Although a big part of that is how much I liked Max. Fat lot of good that did me in the last game. But i still acted out in response of those feelings. In a world where the previous game doesn't exist I would let this world burn to justify some LULz. Even as much as the last episode of LiS ruined me on the series I like Max enough not let Chloe set the world on fire and walk away. Although I 100% get how ridiculously encouraging it is to do so.

Yeah though it was written by a different dev team. The LiS people are doing Vampyr and LiS2 on the side. This series was done by a different team entirely.

Deck9 (this, other bullshit) and DontNod (vampyr, the original game, dont remember, also other games that I don't remember hahahahaha I'm funny)

But honestly even worst case scenario (which this isn't in terms of predatory DLC) I'm hungry for some more Max content.
 #170586  by kali o.
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 am
Shrinweck wrote:Unfortunately, they're developing a vampire game called Vampyr about a vampire doctor in the early 20th century. As annoying as the prospect of more vampire shit is.... it does kind of look interesting in the teaser. Maybe Life is Strange'll end up being successful enough for them to develop the sequel at the same time.
Decided to bump this instead of doing a new post -- Vampyr appears to be out now...but reviews seem pretty all over the map. If you try it -- let me know.

Normally, I'd just buy it and take the risk...but I've already spent way too much on games this month (and I'll likely buy Jurassic World Evo...which has like a 50% chance of being a stinker).