The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Koji Igarashi launches teaser site(Castlevania successor?!)

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #165718  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 05, 2015 6:31 am
That's fairly awesome! Back to the 8-bit pallet too? Shovel Knight really did a great job bringing 8-bit graphics for the current decade. I think Iga can do it too.

Aside from a return to classic graphics, I would love to see another Dracula's Curse style game, or at least a Super Castlevania style one. One that focuses on the action and skill, rather than grinding and level ups just so bosses don't take 3500 hits.
 #165727  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 06, 2015 5:06 am
Very much so. Since Super Castlevania, my biggest memory of the series is grinding for cash and exp. I wasn't a fan of it at all. While I do love RPGs, I find exp and cash mechanics are a needless chore to add into Castlevania games.

You could say Castlevania is divided into two different series within the same franchise. The original I am a fan of, the later one I am not. Then there are the 3D ones, which I really have no opinion or interest in.
 #165886  by Zeus
 Thu May 14, 2015 12:36 am
As Mighty No 9 proved, just because the big publishers don't believe it don't mean there ain't no appetite for old-school gaming.

And Order was the last 2D-playing Castlevania? What do you consider Mirror of Fate?
 #165911  by Zeus
 Fri May 15, 2015 10:48 pm
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:What do you consider Mirror of Fate?
Trash. :P

Order was the last Castlevania Koji Igarashi was involved with.
But it was 2D, wasn't it?
 #165913  by Eric
 Sat May 16, 2015 12:05 am
Zeus wrote:
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:What do you consider Mirror of Fate?
Trash. :P

Order was the last Castlevania Koji Igarashi was involved with.
But it was 2D, wasn't it?
Yes, but that's irrelevant, it was awful. You don't include Zelda's Adventure(CD-i) in the discussion when you talk about gaps between Top-Down Perspective Zelda games do you?
 #165916  by Zeus
 Sun May 17, 2015 10:43 am
Eric wrote: Yes, but that's irrelevant, it was awful. You don't include Zelda's Adventure(CD-i) in the discussion when you talk about gaps between Top-Down Perspective Zelda games do you?
That was a European-only, licensed game made completely independent of the IP owner. All the Lords of Shadow games were made with an in-house developer overseen by Kojima who was in charge of all Konami console development at the time (this fell under that umbrella)
 #165917  by Eric
 Sun May 17, 2015 12:10 pm
Zeus wrote:
Eric wrote: Yes, but that's irrelevant, it was awful. You don't include Zelda's Adventure(CD-i) in the discussion when you talk about gaps between Top-Down Perspective Zelda games do you?
That was a European-only, licensed game made completely independent of the IP owner. All the Lords of Shadow games were made with an in-house developer overseen by Kojima who was in charge of all Konami console development at the time (this fell under that umbrella)
You say tomato, I say tomato....that doesn't translate well into text! I have no idea why you're arguing with me about this lol. The last GOOD 2D Castlevania was Order of Ecclesia(And Koji Igarashi's last Castlevania), and I dismiss anything after it because they were trash. If you liked Mirror of Fate because Kojima was loosely involved more power to you.
 #165928  by Zeus
 Mon May 18, 2015 8:01 pm
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomato....that doesn't translate well into text! I have no idea why you're arguing with me about this lol. The last GOOD 2D Castlevania was Order of Ecclesia(And Koji Igarashi's last Castlevania), and I dismiss anything after it because they were trash. If you liked Mirror of Fate because Kojima was loosely involved more power to you.
I've only played the first Lords game, it was amazing. I played a little of Mirror but not enough to have a full opinion. My bud finished it and he thought the original 3DS version was great with a good challenge but the remake was made too easy. And he's the biggest Castlevania fan out there, I trust his opinion on this one.

Personally, I still think Aria is the best of the Metroidvania games. It was amazing
 #168530  by Oracle
 Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 pm
Castlevania Symphony of the Night surpasses all the other metroidvania games. SotN is the pinnacle, period. I eagerly look forward to my annual November 11th single-sitting 200.6% completion run this year.

And now - TAKE MY MONEY. Totally getting this game.
 #168532  by Oracle
 Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:23 pm
ManaMan wrote:I'd say Super Metroid is just as good as SotN.
Fair enough, I'd agree. My wording should have been more specific, I wasn't really considering anything outside of the castlevania IP.
 #168549  by Replay
 Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:26 am
Eric wrote:Image

The common trend that unites all Kickstarter devs it seems heh.
Not all, just the major developers who created games that founded the industry, who are now getting the long dick from scabby greedy publishing CEOs who don't give a damn about developers.

Video games have matured. They slightly out-revenue movies now.

That has produced a situation and industry where a lot of greedy fat-fuck jackoffs who can't make a game themselves and don't care about gamers have piloted themselves into positions of power in the industry, telling devs who have hit home runs out of the park over and over what mismanaged focus groups say gamers do and don't like.

I say - good for Igarashi.

I'll be buying into Bloodstained and he's gotten $5m off of the Kickstarter, which is very clearly enough not just to finish the project, but for him to establish his own development company, maybe even publishing company, if he wants and tries to and is frugal about his costs.

I'd rather have a million Igarashis running the industry than a single Bobby Kotick - CEO of Activision and notorious for his role in trying to fire, withhold $100m from, and legally fuck over the devs who did Modern Warfare.
 #168557  by ManaMan
 Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 am
Eric wrote: This looks fantastic.
I was expecting 2D sprites not 3D/2D. Probably will still be good though. Classic soundtrack.

Now I want to play Super Metroid again to see if it *was* just as good. I haven't played it since I was in college.... 2000? Wow. I played through SotN again last year and liked it a lot. Easier than I remember it being though. Almost too easier compared to some other Castlevania games.
 #168560  by Eric
 Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:56 pm
ManaMan wrote:
Eric wrote: This looks fantastic.
I was expecting 2D sprites not 3D/2D. Probably will still be good though. Classic soundtrack.

Now I want to play Super Metroid again to see if it *was* just as good. I haven't played it since I was in college.... 2000? Wow. I played through SotN again last year and liked it a lot. Easier than I remember it being though. Almost too easier compared to some other Castlevania games.
I'm kinda glad it's not sprites, all of the sprite based kickstarters I've backed are taking years to come out lol. This looks great to me, the artistic style captures the essence of a Castlevania game, character movement looks smooth, and of course the music is on point.
 #168576  by Replay
 Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:12 am
Igarashi is brilliant, I think there is every reason to have high hopes for this. I also think the art is fantastic and that the team's work on shaders will bear lots of fruit.

I will still never forget the first day I saw the original Castlevania. I had just come to my friend's house, he was playing it - and played through the spike-crushers on level 2, dying once to them I think. I thought, "Wow, how brutal and hard for the player, but what a brilliant piece of level design" - especially how I watched how the second one had subtly different timing, but allowed the player to duck under it.

He has formed so many of our ideas as a culture about what a platform game should be - for me personally, a great, great many. I *still* play SoTN from time to time and have pined never to have another outing in the night of such depth and scope - the Game Boy games never really appealed to me; I need AAA graphics on my gaming journeys to the night and underworld.
 #170592  by Eric
 Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 am
Oh that little game is goddamn excellent.

I beat it my first playthrough in 90ish minutes, it wasn't terribly dificult, but there's multiple difficulties and if you sacrifice your potential allies at the end of the stages you can drain their powers and play the main char differently.

Very awesome game :)
 #170777  by Eric
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:02 pm
Zeus wrote:So what was that little 8bit game released on the Switch? A bonus for early buyers only?
If you backed it at a certain tier you got it free, it was basically Castlevania 3 but more modern take, and not nearly as difficult/punishing.

I think you can still purchase it separately.
 #170803  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:06 pm
You can purchase it separately. And yeah, I was surprised to discover the game was a modern take on Dacula's Curse, which is one of the few Castlevania games I go back to for relays (the other being Super Castlevania, and I intend to do Symphony of the Night again sometime, I believe I have it on Vita).
 #170843  by Eric
 Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 am
Replay wrote:How is this thing? Worth the price of admission? People keep saying it's good.
The actual Kickstarter game doesn't come out until next year. Curse of the Moon is out and worth admission price.