The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Final Fantasy 15

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #169562  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 am
The meta score is sitting at 83.62%, which is actually fairly good, but lower than any of the mainline FF games to date. FF11 and 13 are the only ones that came close to as low. I tend to think of FF games getting brownie points from reviewers, while FF13 got an 85%, I found it to be more around the quality of games that get 70%. Depending on tastes, an 83% game might be your favourite of all time; Crusader Kings 2 is only 82%, for example.

But the reviews of FF15 are significantly harsher than CK2 in their words.

Bad points brought up are linearity of scenarios, boring story, bad music, bad magic/summon mechanics, poor pacing, bad camera. There are disagreements on characters, some like the bro-like characters, others find them difficult to like.

Conan O'Brien and Elijah Wood slammed it badly a few weeks back.

Over a decade in development...
FF7 Remake is still in the pocket. It will be devisive, but I can't see the critics going below 90 on that one.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/932981- ... index.html
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #169570  by Replay
 Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 am
Want, still. The critics are going to fuck up on this one. Game journos get spoiled sometimes by playing all the new games and get burned out and out of touch with the public.

The public wants this. I want it if nothing else because it's very clearly the frontrunner for Graphics of the Year - if not decade - and I need to study the hell out of it. There is nothing like the PBR (physically based rendering) in a realtime title like this that I'm seeing in terms of their study of gloss surfaces, water and reflectivity, structure mesh complexity...I could go on and on. It is advancing the utter Hell out of the industry right now in my eyes.

#169571  by Shrinweck
 Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 am
I've been watching this a bit on Twitch and it appears to be a very good game marred by some very poor design choices.

If you're not going to put level scaling into your game then you need to balance side quest rewards so you aren't disgustingly overleveled for content by the time you get to it - even if it's an open world game. There needs to either be limitations in what side quests you can acquire (with more becoming available as you progress through the story) or they should not offer the experience reward that negates difficulty. At the very least, you could have an option to get brought down to the level of the story quest you're doing. Overleveling may have a place in RPGs but it shouldn't be forced upon you in a punishing way just because you want to actually play optional content. Having to artificially change the way you play a game is a let down.

Stuff like that really seems to hold back the game. It seems like they built a very enjoyable world with potentially (maybe lay off the quick time events in the future, square) fun encounters. Also since the game starts open and ends linear, it leaves people with a sour taste in their mouths as opposed to, say, XIII which opened up and left people liking the game more than they did in the beginning.
 #169572  by kali o.
 Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:57 pm
Too early from me to have a solid opinion of the game yet. I think I may end up liking it, despite it not really feeling like much of an RPG any more....

- Story. I am hooked so far.
- Combat. For the most part, it's fun. I don't like what they did with spells as a consumable, but maybe that gets better.
- Gameplay. Doesn't feel like much of a RPG. It's an action game with an open world.
- World. I have been largely out of the FF loop since 7...so I dunno. It's cool I guess. I really hate the open world thing though because, so far at least, it seems really pointless to the actual gameplay.

Final Fantasy for first timers? Don't know what that is about...story is full of unreferenced name drops and strange cut scenes. And starting your epic RPG off pushing a car....a dumb move.

My opinion could change as I play more, but for now, I am leaning towards positive.
 #169577  by kali o.
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:41 am
Havent finished it yet (but chapter 14, so more or less done).

- liked the story well enough, but some really strange aspects and pacing (beyond the usual 'because Japan'). It feels very rushed after Altissia.

- Every side quest was MMO-fetch. Utterly boring, nothing fleshed out.

- the game was better when it was on rails/linear. The open world stuff was a mistake. Gameplay wise, the latter half of the game is better.

- Combat is fun, but strangely balanced. Camera is a hassle. Magic, while I get it, is a lame way to handle it.

- a lot of junk loot; actual junk. Not a lot of weapon selection. Again, feels unfinished.

- a fair amount of bugs/glitches.

Summary: Feels like an unfinished game. Game tells an OK story. I dont feel like its a total chore playing through it but I doubt I will remember it fondly. I wouldnt recommend paying full price unless you are a serious FF fanboy.

7/10
 #169580  by Oracle
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:27 am
So my impression so far (just got to Lestallum).

Game is freaking slow. Open world travel is unreasonably cumbersome, even with the fast-travel mechanisms. Hate being tied to that stupid car.

I made the mistake of going hard on side-quests. Other than the xp earned, seems to be a waste of time. As Kali mentioned, purely MMO-fetch quests, not really all that fun to do.

Bounty hunting is OK, but again, very MMO-ish feeling. Feels like I'm grinding just because.

I think I've put too many hours into the game compared to where I am in the story (about 20 hours, although to be fair some of that is idling). In the beginning I spent way too much time just wandering around. I should have pushed the story much more aggressively, I assume I'll have time later to do the side stuff (if it's even worth it).

I feel like I've just been tossed into a world that doesn't really draw me in (at least yet). Story is OK, but it seems everything cool that's happened in the game so far is related to cut scenes my party isn't involved in.

Hope it picks up. Pacing issues are likely my own fault at this point, but if you're going to do side quests in general in this game, I expect them to suck up a significant amount of time for anyone (unless I'm doing it wrong).
 #169581  by kali o.
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm
Ya. There is an odd disconnect in the story where everything prior to Altissia has to do with others, then it centers around you after (seemingly even neglecting all other plot characters).

I focused on side quests early too - but it gets boring. And you hit a wall where you need to grind out AP or XP (dungeons/bounty rank 4+)...which sucks. Even with the perks, its a grind.

EDIT: ....and done (the main story). Ummm...again, still felt rushed. I managed to kill everything outside of Insomnia at level 60...but it was tough (maybe I shoulda just ran by). The story was kind of a bummer...and the ending was in 3 pieces and out of order, because Japan...?

I cant imagine that season pass will be worthwhile...i have a feeling they will just be adding high level bounties and maybe another dungeon or 2.
 #169636  by kali o.
 Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:37 pm
I've had time to reflect on my opinion (and platinum the game) -- everything I said was fairly accurate.

The Story
Japanese are always odd, but this story just feels off in all sorts of ways. It starts off rushed and without much context (I understand some film(s) add more context). Gameplay starts off completely blah (pushing a car). Then you are plopped in this world without much prodding to head to your next destination after Hammerhead -- and given the events that just took place, this lack of prodding feels strange and out of place. When you do start advancing the story, it's mostly grand event cut scenes that have little to do with your party; a party that is mostly completing mundane fetch/kill quests at the time (again, another strange juxtaposition). Eventually, you head to Altissia and the story suddenly focuses on you and, for the most part, drops all the other "grand events" and characters. Your journey isn't all that interesting and, in the end, is really dark
Spoiler: show
(and given the open world nature of the game and end game side content, I am surprised the ending isn't more...happy...for no other reason than a logical game mechanic and doing away with the stupid Umbra mechanic)
There is a time travel mechanic (a...dog. Umbra.) introduced ham-fistedly that is essentially there to allow you play side content and completionist, since the game basically locks you into a linear game from Altissia onward. It's awkward and feels tacked on.

You can see the points where SE will add DLC side stories for each of your buddies...I mean, it's overt. It's overtness is actually a little offensive.

Gameplay
Combat is the main thing and after significant time spent with it...I am not a fan. Its fairly bland, even after you unlock everything, and you are always fighting the camera. Essentially, it's just a mash fest. Yes, you can use wait mode or evade/parry cheese, but you simply do not have to. The only positive I can point to is it allows for some pretty epic scale...but as seen in the promoted Adamantoise fight...it doesn't add any depth or strategy.

Other
NPCs are introduced, then seemingly disappear. Some have context...some don't. No relationship ever feels truly established or real (primarily looking at Luna, Regis and Ardyn). All had potential...perhaps the films complete them...I dunno. Ardyn, in particular, is a disappointment for me because he had the potential to be a more fleshed out Kefka with a legitimate arc and motivation. The most established relationships are with your boy band crew...but even that is more a case of being "better" rather than actually well done.

For the most part the AI is fairly solid. The game is fairly bug free considering the open world aspect.

As someone who has only really played FF1, FF4, FF5, FF6 and FF7 (excluding spin offs), I'd rank FF15 as my fourth favourite FF. Given that I am only comparing six games and they are all over 10 years old, I am not sure that is much of a recommendation. I am unlikely to ever play it again after checking out the DLC.
 #169639  by Oracle
 Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:46 am
kali o. wrote:Ardyn, in particular, is a disappointment for me because he had the potential to be a more fleshed out Kefka with a legitimate arc and motivation.
My assessment of the game isn't as harsh as yours, but YES YES 100 times YES to the quoted. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking throughout the game. And based on his little-revealed backstory, once you actually find out who/what he is, that would be a perfect time for him to go off the rails - his backstory almost dictates that he SHOULD be a Kefka-like character. Instead, they went with creepy, confident, somewhat-mysterious mannerisms that just feel down-played.

BTW, I started the Adamantoise (level 99) fight last night, got him about 1/3 down after 20 min, then put the PS4 in rest mode - I'll go back to it tonight or tomorrow, provided the power doesn't go out. It's just a grind-fest, I haven't been at risk of dying. I also beat a level 120 quest mob fairly easily.

Strategy for any tough mob:

-Have Ignis cast elemental weakness of enemy on Noctis. Phoenix down Ignis only when this is needed further in the battle.
-Have Noctis Warp Strike x however much mana you have by just holding down the button, therefore avoiding most damage.
-Use either Ether or Elixirs to replenish mana (or warp points, if available).
-Use potions/elixirs to heal when needed.
-Cast magic when available.
-Use Armament when available.
-Summon when available.

That's pretty much it.

Kali (or whoever else has beaten the game):
Have you done the 8 locked dungeons available after beating the game as well as Pitioss? I haven't looked for Pitioss yet.
 #169640  by kali o.
 Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:30 pm
Sounds like you are grinding it out the long way. If you aren't more than halfway through, do yourself a favor and grab the zwill blades (if you don't already have them). Then eat the appropriate food (100% crit is a good choice) and go to town on Adamantoise's right front leg.

Alternatively, if you have auto xbow upgraded, just use that on the same leg just out of distance of any damage. Warp when needed for MP.

The first method will take 15-20 minutes maybe. The latter is still a grind, but should be more efficient than how you are doing it now (which is a shame).

As for the optionals, ya I did em, except for the one that requires no items. Pitioss...yeah, I could probably speedrun it now that I know it, but it is absolutely soul crushing the first time through. Utterly not fun. Too bad the reward is pretty awesome.
 #169644  by Oracle
 Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:28 am
Eh, took another 25 min. Was using a great sword for the first bit, but switched to zwill blades, they just hit more consistently.

I hadn't read anything into the fight, or really prepared in any major way besides buying items.

I'm half way done the 8 locked-door optionals, need to find more time to pick the game up and play.
 #169645  by Blotus
 Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:58 am
I really enjoyed it. The whole road trip premise with pals pays off, no small part thanks to (and I initially thought this was dumb) Prompto's photos. Every time I scroll through the camera roll to delete a photo to make room for a new one, I get a nice reminder of all the neat moments throughout. Story is trash, but whatever, the characers - anime archetypes they are - are memorable and grow on you. Combat is FUN when you're not in a tight corridor or surrounded by trees, in which case you can't see shit.

As for the review average, whatever; just reflective of the state of games sites now. If this game was released 10 years ago, it'd be all 10s and 9s but I think now more than ever, there's less brown-nosing.

Going to be taking my time with the endgame. Got a little frustrated with the lack of saving in dungeons...
Was doing the run to Costlemark Tower boss where there are the four elevators heading down. You have to go down three times to unlock the proper one (I guess, because they're only available one at a time). Fight a red giant the first time, two red giants the second time, then three red giants and two of those naga things that turn you into frogs. Last fight took a long time and a lot of curatives, but did it. Then had to play NHL with pals, but couldn't save in the dungeon so figured I'd just warp outside and saved. Come back in later to see I have to do all those fights over again because the fourth elevator wasn't unlocked even though I'd beat all those things before. Start the process again, do the first two basement fights, then have to leave so put the PS4 in rest mode. Come home later, power went out, fuck. Not looking forward to doing it again.

An aside, I like how infrequent the summons are. And anybody who says they didn't get chills the first time Ramuh showed up and torched the Earth or when Bahamut fights Ifrit and Noctis exchange that look and nod before finishing it is a goddamn liar. I mean, it's a lot the timing of that rad Latin chanting music that does it. Although the the Ifrit/Bahamut conclusion is IMMEDIATELY undersold by "oh hey, that didn't do anything."

I never got too attached to Lunafreya, much as I wanted to. Did not watch Kingsglave though. So her death was whatever. I DID enjoy the chapter afterwards where Noct is on edge and the whole group just seems distant.

I like the time jump too, even though the going back and forth in time doesn't make sense, I didn't care. Though I wanted Noct to have a bit of an evil phase; like kill a whole town or something.
 #169646  by Oracle
 Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:53 pm
On Costlemark, for Blotus,
so I ran into the same issue:. Did two elevators, warped out, only to find I had to start over.

However.

I did the first elevator, fought the red giant. Did the second elevator, and was taken to the boss of the dungeon.

I believe this is driven randomly. The escalation in fights after each elevator I believe is mere punishment for not being lucky.

Either that or I magically did what I needed to to get to the boss, but finishing all elevator and subsequent fights isn't the requirement.
 #169650  by Oracle
 Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:07 pm
kali o. wrote:I just finished Pitioss dungeon (optional secret dungeon). I now rate FFXV as 2/10. Fuck this game and the designer that made torture in digital form.
So yea, finished this last night....

If the rest of the game tried to incorporate this platforming bs in other dungeons in any way shape or form, this game would be a solid 0/10.

It's like someone at SE said "man wouldn't these game mechanics be brutal if this game was a platformer?" and someone ran with the sadistic thought.
 #169663  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 am
It reminds me of the Tower of Babel in Xenogears, some people complain about the huge narrative sections of disk 2, but for me it was the platformimg in Babel before reaching Shevat. The platforming where camera angle was SO crucial.
 #169664  by Oracle
 Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:00 pm
All dungeons done now, all hunts (level 10) done now.

I have 98% of trophies. Just need to get fishing to level 10 to have them all.

I think I got my money out of the game. Now to see if the DLCs will be worth it.

Edit: All trophies now, yay :p
 #169742  by Oracle
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 am
Anyone try out the Chocobo Moogle Festival?

It's... cute. Kinda nice to see Altissia more active and lively, I thought the story of the game didn't do that city much justice, it felt far too small with not a whole lot to do.

I got enough tokens to do the fireworks show. Not sure if I'll do much else, didn't seem to be a lot of items worth farming for other than some rare food ingredients, and even then, probably just quicker to farm them in the story.

Anyone notice if there are any limit break magic crafting items for sale? That would be worth farming tokens for, I guess. Although considering I'm maxed out in the game, and have killed everything, not really worth farming magic items for me.
 #170486  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm
I'm going to be playing this game on PC when it releases tomorrow. Here's hoping it's the first Final Fantasy I actually finish although technically you could say I've finished FF14 3 times if you count story content and expansions. It was the first gigantic game I downloaded since upgrading to fiber a few weeks ago. It was crazy downloading a game at 100mb/s. I think prior to fiber it would have taken me 10+ hours to grab the 75gb preload.
 #170487  by kali o.
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 pm
I never played it after the "improvement" patches, nor did I play the DLC. I think the general consensus is still pretty "meh" with those things but still, I'd love to know what people think of the DLC episodes (the party member stories mainly, but maybe the multiplayer DLC too).

I keep seeing it for sale in the PS store, but can never bring myself to buy it.
 #170490  by Shrinweck
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm
I've only played through the tutorial and prologue so far (I guess I pushed the car, too). Path of Exile is taking priority for me right now but I'm looking forward to putting some time into this game.

I can already tell that the combat system doesn't have a lot going for it, though. Could still be flashy and fun. It seems to have plenty of personality to it - something that's mostly new in Final Fantasy, in my opinion. I think that's a least one step in the right direction, even if in general it's a few steps back. Usually other than special moves or summons things have been relatively bland.