The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Secret of Mana Remake (PC/Vita/PS4, February 15th, 2018)

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170150  by Eric
 Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:51 am
Very clearly inspired by the Adventure of Mana remake(And probably using some of the same assets to be honest). It does look a bit more polished/detailed though!

Adventure of Mana:

Secret of Mana remake:

#170157  by Oracle
 Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:12 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Woo! Another Vita game to get :)

Seriously though, I hope it comes to Switch purely for the multiplayer capability. It is much more likely I'll be able to get a 3 player game going on that platform.
You know the story, so not like the text matters a whole lot to you. Play it in Japanese (buy the cart, as there is no region protection, or make a Japanese switch store account).

http://kotaku.com/secret-of-mana-collec ... 1795875674
 #170198  by ManaMan
 Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am
Eric wrote:
ManaMan wrote:Of course I'll have to get those
Such a fraud. :P
I'll admit, I never played through Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure) back in the day. I did download it for iOS. Kind of lost interest though & I've yet to beat it. :P

Secret of Mana I've purchased like 4 or 5 times over the years on different platforms.
 #170479  by Oracle
 Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm
So, bought played and beat it (finished it a couple nights ago, started it on the 21st).

Overall, it was fun, but I can see how people who weren't die-hards for the original may be disappointed with the game. It's as true as a remake can get, right down to the frustrating ring menu system.

Graphics are good enough for me, I wasn't expecting a FF7-remake caliber game. The music was... ok? I still prefer the original sound track (which you can enable) far and away to the remastered music, with maybe a couple exceptions (Lofty mountains being one of them). New Dark Lich theme is /puke compared to the old one.

Anyway, now I may attempt to tackle some of the more grindy achievements, e.g. all weapons to level 9, all magic to level 8. I don't believe there is a beastiary, so killing all enemy types might be a bit of a bitch. I should have looked at the achievements before I started playing, and I would have made sure to kill at least one of everything along the way.

And while having voice acting added to the game was quaint, I could take it or leave it. Definitely not great quality voice acting.