The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Mini

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170301  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 pm
I finally got one!

First game I played was some two player Street Fighter 2... but stopped that soon. Then we moved onto Super Mario World where we completed the first two worlds. Then it was Secret of Mana, which we've played by far the most so far; we've got all three characters, and are on our way to Elinee. Every single time, the first obstacle of this game is getting used to the terrible controls, menus, and attack system (Secret of Evermore, as hated as it is by most, improved tremendously on these systems); once that hurdle's past, the game is loads of fun. The last time I played through this game was back on the Wii Virtual console, but this is the first time I have played the authentic feeling version since some time in the 1990s.

The SNES Mini main interface is simple, a row of games, it's just a click to enter. There are 4 slots for save states on each game; save states are activated at any time while in a game by hitting the reset button... your save file will then float, and you hover above the slot you want to put it in, and hit Y. The console comes with two controllers, they're the same as the SNES, the only difference is the matte finish on the plastic. The screensaver of the game has Mario running through the interface and watching demos of the last few minutes of gameplay you had on each game (you can change this to something else in the options).

It brings me back, holding that SNES controller again. I played through Earthbound and Final Fantasy III (FF6) both recently, otherwise I'd be all over these. I think my next single player game will be Link to the Past... although I did play through the intro of FF6, on SNES, just because I like seeing that opening Tetsuya Takahashi created intro with the city of Narshe rising on the horizon as the three Magitek Armours march through the blizzard toward it. After Link to the Past, it'll probably be Super Mario RPG which I haven't played in about a decade, and again, even longer since playing it on an SNES.

The console also comes with Star Fox 2... Might be the most delayed game in history, coming out a full 21 years on a later version of the console. I wasn't a fan of the original Star Fox, so I likely won't be playing this one any time soon.

One thing can be said though, the SNES had A LOT of games heavily associated with it, and a few of them are missing. When I play DKC, I like to play the three games back to back, it's a little incomplete feeling having just the first. The first game is also the easiest and shortest of the bunch, and it is also the only one lacking Dixie Kong and the proper world map.

There are enough iconic SNES games to make a successor console without retreading. If I were to make a new one that had DKC 2 and 3, as I said before, I would want the first one on there; that would be my only retread. I'm putting Terranigma on, it didn't get a North American release, but became a huge sleeper hit in the emulation scene. Speaking of sleeper hits, I am keeping Genealogy of the Holy War off the list because it never got any Western release; and I think there's a good chance this'll be the next Fire Emblem remake - they already remake Shadow Dragon and Gaiden, next would be Mystery of the Emblem, but I can see them jumping ahead to Genealogy due to its unique structure and popularity. I am also leaving off Soul Blazer, because, while a great game, somehow was forgotten in its time, and didn't really become a sleeper hit later in any capacity.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. ActRaiser
3. Illusion of Gaia
4. Terranigma (a bit of a sleeper hit in popularity, similar to Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War, which never got a Western release, so I'll leave it off since it's lik)
5. DKC
6. DKC2
7. DKC3
8. SimCity
9. Turtles in Time
10. Final Fantasy II (FF4)
11. Harvest Moon
12. Final Fight / Super Double Dragon (could go either way for a traditional brawler)
13. Mortal Kombat 2
14. Super Star Wars
15. Uniracers
16. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
17. Ogre Battle
18. EVO: Search for Eden
19. Earthworm Jim 2
20. Kirby's Dreamland 3
21. Rock N Roll Racing
22. Pilot Wings
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #170305  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm
Damn!
It was a speculative mock-up! =P

Fixed.
As a note, this is not representative of the UI, it’s a promotional image listing the game’s.

In Secret of Mana, cleared the Underground Temple, cleared Thanatos’s lair (almost got crushed by the wall), managed to get the Rough the uplands, and rescued Flammie. Now heading toward the desert.
 #170307  by Eric
 Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 am
Oracle wrote:Where is that screenshot from? A hacked console? I ask due to the inclusion of Chrono Trigger.
If you want to add games to your SNES classic just download Hakchi 2, it'll flash the kernel of the SNES Classic and from there it's simple to add/remove games ROMs, box art, etc since it's basically just a glorified emulator anyway.

#170315  by Oracle
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm
Finally snagged one of these little fuckers on bestbuy.ca last week. Should be coming Wednesday.

Literally ordered it when I saw the 'add to cart' button available, then went back to the order screen immediately to order another with my work address (limit 1 per household) and it was already sold out.
 #170323  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:44 pm
Finished Secret of Mana and Link to the Past. Both games are A LOT shorter than fans might remember them being.
I also finished Donkey Kong Country.
Currently into Kirby Superstar (2 players) and Final Fantasy 6 as my 1 player.