The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• What's the oldest game in your backlog?

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170561  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm
Oldest game in your backlog that you still intend to play on the platform you purchased it for? And what is the game that was in your backlog the longest before playing it?

Oldest game yet to play: Breath of Fire 4, PSX, 17 years.
Oldest game played to completion: Suikoden 2, played for the first time around 2010-12, around a decade after purchasing it... well worth it.

A lot of us RPG fans will have these; since in the 90s many of us snapped up every RPG we could get because they'd only last a week or two on store shelves. But the number of RPGs released began to rapidly increase from around 1997 to current day (went from like 10 a year to 200+), and also the lengths of RPGs drastically increased. For me, it was the later PSX era when I began to feel it overwhelming, and that's when I began having a rather large backlog. Then by 2003 to 2005 or so, I stopped trying to buy EVERY RPG.
 #170578  by kali o.
 Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:28 pm
So, I'm confused, you bought BoF4 17 years ago and never played it? If that's the case, I can't really relate or compare. I typically played the physical games I purchased. Now digital (steam & ps4)...that's a different story...now I impulse buy a lot of shit I don't get around to playing and I really need to curb that (the "oldest" I haven't even booted up once is probably Beyond: Two Souls).

Oldest physical game I have yet to finish...it would have to be on my 360 and that would be The Last Remnant (2008). I still plan to, but it's a super flawed game with neat ideas. Complicated too, so every time I consider doing it, I get overwhelmed and play State of Emergency instead.
 #170579  by Oracle
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:14 am
kali o. wrote: Oldest physical game I have yet to finish...it would have to be on my 360 and that would be The Last Remnant (2008).
Hah, that game cemented itself in my cut-and-run pile. Maybe played it for 3-4 hours?

There is one game, that I keep telling myself I'll go back and finish, just because it is such an interesting game (although terrible at times):

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/243000/

I bought this game on PC back when it originally came out. I still have the CDs in a CD binder somewhere. I've probably installed and played the game 5-10 times since 1999, just never got around to finishing it.
 #170581  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm
kali o. wrote:So, I'm confused, you bought BoF4 17 years ago and never played it?
I suspect I'm a crazy case, but maybe not, given I know others on this forum did similar things.

I bought BoF4 in during a time where I was purchasing literally every RPG I could get my hands on; it was like some kind of sick paranoia I had where if I missed it I was missing out on potentially my favourite game ever. Almost every RPG from the early 90s onward ended up being (potential) sleeper hits - but publishers would refuse to restock to meet the heavy increase in demand - so games would disappear from store shelves never to return; and since demand was so high, some games were reaching prices of $500+ within a year of release... I was really tempted to resell Suikoden 2 when it hit something like $2500.

Regardless, I ended up buying many more games than I had time to play, and ended up with a gigantic library of "to play later" games. Some of them sat for years... I have many (mainly PS2/Gamecube era) I am sure I'll never play.
 #170582  by Eric
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 pm
Fuck if I know, probably one of the 100s of Steam games I bought on sale and don't remember buying lol.
 #170583  by Oracle
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:54 pm
Eric wrote:Fuck if I know, probably one of the 100s of Steam games I bought on sale and don't remember buying lol.

And then there's me, who does that with games at launch, or at full price, like I did with Divinity Original Sin 2. Considering I put 280 hours into the first one, this still surprises me.
 #170584  by kali o.
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 pm
Oracle wrote:Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Well, I doubt that game aged well, so it's probably painful to play, but I remember it being badass and open ended when it launched (IIRC: You could jump into anyone). I think I've even posted about it here prior to the purge / data loss.

That's the whole reason I've always been stoked for David Cage games since. Even Detroit, which no one is really talking about, is very good and I'm on my second playthrough. Ya, Cage is a bit SJW / preachy, but I always enjoy his games.
 #170587  by Oracle
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:43 pm
kali o. wrote:
Oracle wrote:Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Well, I doubt that game aged well, so it's probably painful to play, but I remember it being badass and open ended when it launched (IIRC: You could jump into anyone). I think I've even posted about it here prior to the purge / data loss.

That's the whole reason I've always been stoked for David Cage games since. Even Detroit, which no one is really talking about, is very good and I'm on my second playthrough. Ya, Cage is a bit SJW / preachy, but I always enjoy his games.
Somehow I went from reading this post to trading in my PS4 at EB, getting a PS4 Pro (white!) and buying Detroit...
 #170588  by kali o.
 Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Oracle wrote:Somehow I went from reading this post to trading in my PS4 at EB, getting a PS4 Pro (white!) and buying Detroit...
Detroit is a good ride, and does "choices" about as well as can be expected given the production values. If I have any complaint, it's that they didn't do a particularly good job with Markus and his story (I think the average player won't see the equality dilemma probably intended, and lean towards the notion that these androids need to be eliminated to protect humanity)... oh, and not really a spoiler but...
Spoiler: show
In the branches I took, it is never really explained or well established how androids achieve sentience. And is that sentience (emotions in particular) "real". I mean, it could simply be a virus / malfunction. Given the ra9, which isn't explained, I suspect it was something added by the founder of Cyberlife. We'll see if it gets explained better in one of my playthroughs.