The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Playstation Classic Announced

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170734  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 am
It's basically the same thing as the NES Classic and SNES Classic.
Maybe we'll see a Playstation Switch at some point? =P Even the ad is the same as the SNES/NES classic ad

Anyway, there are going to be 20 games on it. Of those announced: Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.

The model is also based off of the original grey PSX model and original controllers rather than the later PS1 models and dual shock controllers. I think there will eventually be a PS1 classic with later with a whole other lineup of games. The original 5 games are all from 95-98... and it seems like Ridge Racer Type 4 might be an outlier just to have a Ridge Racer on one of them, and that most will be 1997 and earlier.

Playstation Classic additional games I expect - based mostly on what was really iconic for the PSX:
6. Resident Evil 2 (or Director's Cut)
7. Tomb Raider II
8. Crash Bandicoot 2 (or 1)
9. Alundra (not hugely iconic, but fills a genre gap)
10. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
11. Final Fantasy Tactics
12. Gran Turismo
13. MDK (I never actually played this one)
14. Tales of Destiny
15. Street Fighter Alpha 3
16. Twisted Metal 2
17. Parappa the Rapper
18. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
19. Grand Theft Auto
20. Metal Gear Solid (I originally had this penned for the PS1 classic, but the game came out earlier than I thought, and I removed Xenogears/Parasite Eve, which, while I liked them much more than most games on this list are not particularly iconic early PSX games).
There's space for an FPS, but to be honest, it wasn't until later that anything notable got released.

PS1 Classic (which I suspect will come out) for next year focused on the later classic games:
1. Final Fantasy 8
2. Final Fantasy 9
3. Gran Turismo 2
4. Syphon Filter (1 or 2)
5. Medal of Honor
6. Silent Hill
7. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
8. Driver
9. Vagrant Story
10. Ape Escape
11. Croc 2
12. Spyro the Dragon
13. Soul Reaver
14. Tenchu 2
15. Suikoden (I feel 2 should be here, and due to the connection stuff, 1 should be here too even though it is older)
16. Suikoden 2
17. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
18. Bust a Groove
19. Gex
20. Cool Boarders (Probably 3)
 #170917  by kali o.
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm
Looks like it was mostly wishful thinking, but you did get 3 out of 15 (sorta, numbering aside). Just like the NES classic, I don't get the appeal. I have had these ROMS on my phones for years, at least, and now I can even cast them to my TV wirelessly. Why are people buying these things?

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
** Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
** Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
** Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
** Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
 #170926  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:21 pm
Bah! I should have guessed Toshinden and Cool Boarders 2. Too obvious to miss.

Anyway, nostalgia is a major reason. I find it kind of cool to have a mini video game console from the past to plug in and play... without the need to turn it on its side or upside down for it to work after 1-3 years of ownership. And I am going to have to agree with Oracle here in that it's mostly for Wild Arms that I'll be getting this. I'll almost definitely play through RE: DC as well, but it's a short game. The others I'll touch on, and FF7 maybe way down the road, though I already have big plans to play through it on Switch next year: the idea of FF7 on a Nintendo console, for me, is something I've wanted for 21 years even though I have it on 4 other platforms =D
It might look like a waste of money, but I don't see it that way as I like playing this game from time to time and don't mind putting out a few more dollars to do so on a platform I want to play it on.