The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Super Metroid/Zelda 3 Randomizer

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170797  by M'k'n'zy
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:05 pm
So I just discovered this recently, and I'm fascinated by it! It's a randomizer set up for speed runs that has ways for you to travel back and forth between the two games, and item locations can be randomized between both, so you might find Morph Ball in Sanctuary in LttP, and then find Fire Rod at the Morph Ball location in Super Metroid. It's a pretty awesome little deal, and I thought others here might enjoy it as well.

https://youtu.be/CrHosaYWCDs
 #170802  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm
Haha, a game made for the post-Tom Green ADHD generation.
I believe Nintendo officially made a game like this focused on their 8-bit classics. It was on Wii U, so I never really got into it. Switch would be a good platform for this kind of thing - I like the idea of multiplayer racing.
 #170805  by Anarky
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 pm
Kind of looks like something that would be fun to take up. I was watching some of the 2v2 co-op games.
 #170810  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:41 am
Anarky wrote:Kind of looks like something that would be fun to take up. I was watching some of the 2v2 co-op games.
Yeah. I'm actually planning to start slow doing just the LttP Randomizer first and learning that, then I will ease into the SMZ3 Randomizer. I tested things out, going to stream it. Not sure when I'm going to start, but it should be a blast. My first test to see if I had everything working, I got Fire Rod from the uncle in rescue *laughs*
 #170811  by Anarky
 Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:37 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Anarky wrote:Kind of looks like something that would be fun to take up. I was watching some of the 2v2 co-op games.
Yeah. I'm actually planning to start slow doing just the LttP Randomizer first and learning that, then I will ease into the SMZ3 Randomizer. I tested things out, going to stream it. Not sure when I'm going to start, but it should be a blast. My first test to see if I had everything working, I got Fire Rod from the uncle in rescue *laughs*
Yea, that sounds like a good start. I doubt my skills in either game is at a good place at the moment. LttP is my favorite Zelda game.
 #170812  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:35 pm
Anarky wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Yea, that sounds like a good start. I doubt my skills in either game is at a good place at the moment. LttP is my favorite Zelda game.
I doubt mine are either, but I have been watching a LOT of LTTP Rando races lately, so I have some ideas on pathing and learning how logic works. I don't know any of the glitches they use yet, but one or two seem like things I can pick up. There is a trick I see them use where they use a bomb to skip over gaps, it seems like they use a spin slash to get pixel close to the gap, then the bomb can blow you over it. Might learn to do that one. Forget the hover trick, I'm not going to do that to my controllers *laughs*

The key to randomizer, I'm learning, is to remember that there is a logic to it. For example, Fire Rod can't be in Ganon's Tower if Turtle Rock is a crystal, because you need it to beat the boss.
 #170842  by Eric
 Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:57 am
There's a few of these randomizer mods out there. There's one for REmake on Steam too.
 #170844  by M'k'n'zy
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 am
I decided before I start to run the combination randomizer, I'd run the solo LttP randomizer first. Did my first stream yesterday morning. Took me 5:45ish, which isn't that bad considering it's my first randomizer and my first time playing LttP in over 10 years. I had a bit of a rough seed as well, it took me a long time to find the power gloves, even though I got the hammer early, so I ended up having to take out Aganim for dark world access.