The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Red Dead Redemption 2

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170908  by Replay
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:57 pm
Nothing less than a major technical milestone and victory for the industry.

I will sadly probably not get to play it, with the money and time spent on my own projects these days, but there's probably been nothing close to as real a "world" as this ever realized yet in gaming to date.

I'm predicting Game of the Year, probably unmissable if you have the time and a proper system to play it on.

Watch it in fullscreen, the little window won't do it justice.

#170909  by Lox
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:23 am
I'm actually taking a vacation day on the 29th just to play this. It will be the only time I get to dive deep into a game like this as life is just too busy!
 #170912  by Replay
 Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:19 pm
The amount of detail is just nuts. It's as close as the industry has come yet to the "playable movie" vision that's driven a lot of people since very early on.
 #170916  by kali o.
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 pm
Im kinda "meh" on RDR2. I mean, Im sure I will finish it, but I am not seeing anything special in the game (besides maybe facial hair growth). FO76 beta (for PS4) starts tomorrow, and I am very willing to shelve RDR2 to participate in that.
 #170918  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 pm
I've never had as much fun as people and critics seem to insist I should be having with Rockstar games. I'll buy it when it releases eventually on PC but I'm a little lukewarm on it. I've never finished a Rockstar game lol
 #170927  by Eric
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm
Sometimes Rockstar games go a little far with the details. In RDR2's case it's horse maint.

Kinda up there with GTA4 being annoying as fuck with the cell phone and friend maint heh.
 #170929  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:30 pm
My issue with the first one is that the fist fights sucked hard. I lost interest very soon after I began to play. It looks like they fixed that up in this version.

Also, I have a sudden interest in westerns given Westworld (particularly season 1).

My favourite Rockstar game remains Vice City. I'd love to see a re-release of Uniracers though.
 #170945  by kali o.
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm
After finishing it, I can say I like Morgan's story a lot more than the original RDR1 protagonist (Marston). The game is chocked full of content and easter eggs, but the gameplay is pretty blah/repetitive -- so I suspect most people won't explore most of it.

I had several laugh out loud death moments (like after finishing a particularly brutal fight on horseback, I got down to loot the bodies and the enemies horse hoofed me in the face and I had to restart or when a runaway cart crushed me while innocently skinning), the wanted system is a little dumb, hand to hand combat is rather lame. Ultimately though, I think the game is worth the money for the single player alone -- I imagine the online content, if that's your thing, makes buying it a no-brainer.
 #170968  by Shellie
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:19 pm
When it's available for PC I will probably play it.
 #170983  by Louis
 Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 pm
The original never came to PC. I highly doubt the sequel will make the jump to PC.
 #170985  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 am
Rockstar was pretty vague about their reasons why the original never got to the PC, but it's difficult to believe that's still the case. They implied it wasn't viable either for business or technical reasons. The GTA V PC port did very well so it's difficult to believe they don't think the game will do well on PC. Additionally, there was an app that had datamined code that implied a future PC version. There's also a linkedin profile that a developer said he worked on RDR2 for PC.

For GTA V they knew day one that they were going to release the game for PC. The datamined code and the linkedin profile really hint at a PC release. There's no way to really know, though. The best evidence that they won't is that the original didn't release. The best evidence that they will is that R* very, very rarely skips the PC.