The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Epic Seven

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #170960  by Don
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 pm
Apparently this is a pretty hyped up Korean RPG on mobile. It's very pretty and the story is good, but otherwise there's literally no redeeming feature about this game. It's blatantly P2W and the later story battles runs all kinds of cheap mechanisms that you'd have a hard time getting through unless you rerolled a few hundred times to get the 5 star Destina and another 5 star farmer, though thankfully there are enough guys out there who did just that so you can just borrow random guy's Destina. For being an obvious Summoner's War clone it apparently copied all the bad parts including the 'cost gold to remove your gear' deal. There's no semblance of balance and you might be able to throw some random 3 stars together into a powerful team because the devs are too dumb to even get P2W successfully though it's nearly certain 3 stars that are actually viable will be nerfed soon. There's actually another whole story after you beat the game on normal and can access hard mode but I have no motivation to raise anything to 6 stars right now.

If you're one of those endurance guys who just log on every day to accumulate stuff the story is quite enjoyable when you're not getting randomly instantly killed because you don't have every overpowered unit of every element built up, and you can do maybe a chapter every 2 weeks and you might even have 6 stars before you get to the final boss which isn't beatable using 5 stars without Kiris and Destina. I think this game is a hugely wasted opportunity because even with being blatantly P2W you could have a good story mode that doesn't require P2W units since it's not like you actually get anything useful for beating the game on story mode. The game has helpers for certain battles and if you get the 5 stars that are actually good it's usually just faceroll easy but of course the helpers tend to dry up on the fights that you actually need them for. Given the game makes heavy use of characters with alternate skillsets to the point where you're not even sure if they're the same character you have, I'd think you should have a Ras (the hero) specially templated to be awesome for story mode. Instead your main character is literally garbage and someone you'll never use in any form of competitive anything.
 #170961  by Eric
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
Seems like your typical Gacha hero Mobile Anime RPG.
 #170965  by Eric
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 pm
This game has a great deal of Traps and anime tiddies....I can see the appeal! :p
 #170978  by Don
 Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:55 am
Since you can't skip the animation it's actually pretty annoying after maybe the fifth time. I guess this game is fine if you either have great luck or you don't actually care about being competitive in anything.
 #170979  by Eric
 Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am
Pulling 5*'s in this game seems pretty awful I'm almost to the guarentee'd summon and I've only pulled 3ish 4*'s

That being said, fortunately the 3 & 4*s are pretty decent. Some of the 5*s are ridiculous like Sez, but you can clear the adventure mode and most of the available content by countering the proper elements.

I've been playing this on and off since your initial post about it.

The anime animations do get a bit old I haven't paid enough attention to the sprites to take note of if turning them off would cause issues or massive skipped frames. It's interesting that a deterrent to using them on top of the long CD is also the long animation that accompanies some of them heh.

I haven't gotten to the end game, but in typical gacha format I imagine once you're done with the adventure getting shit to do other things will become quite difficult. It's hard to judge the game until I get to it's end game, and the only other game I have to go by is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, which has a pretty decent end game with challenging bosses and such that keeps getting added as well as weekly/bi-weekly challenges.
 #170981  by Don
 Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm
The fact that some 3* and 4*s are good are almost certainly because devs suck at P2W as opposed to throwing players a bone. Tieria is clearly way too good as a 3*. While it's true that balance doesn't matter as much as people think it does, I'd still prefer to play a game where the devs seem to have some notion of what a balanced game is. You can likely manage without the top 5*s, but it's only possible because the devs don't understand their game well enough to stop you from doing it. For example the 3* Carminarose is pretty respectable too and that's because life drain is pretty broken in a game where you deal very high damage relative to your life total. While it's not quite Diablo 2 'hit once and get 100% of your life back', it's quite obvious units with life drain have insane durability while giving up nothing. Again, I've no reason to believe they're doing this to be fair, but more like 'oh yeah let's put life drain on a unit what can possibly go wrong?'

Overall the game seems to be about as bad as Summoner's War in terms of balance but Summoner's War at least have the excuse of that they probably didn't know better when they started, while Epic 7 is clearly copied nearly verbatim from Summoner's War and should've at least fixed the obvious stuff, but did not. Yes it does look pretty, but if you want a Summoner's War clone with no real improvements you might as well stick to Summoner's War.
 #171011  by Eric
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm
Summoner's War doesn't appear to be the anime waifu/trap simulator this game is.

Also it was announced today they're actually nerfing units...in a P2W F2P Mobile game, kinda shocking.

I don't think Final Fantasy Brave Exvius has ever nerfed anything because people invest so much $$$ into pulling chars nerfing any of them is like spitting in the face of people that invested so much, kinda ballsy of them to do that.
 #171013  by Don
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 pm
They're nerfing the 3 stars (Tieria and Elson). The 5 stars sure aren't touched. Like I said, they just don't even know how to do P2W correctly, though at least they're trying to fix that.
 #171016  by Eric
 Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 am
Normally that's not one of those things you try to blatently fix lmao. :P
 #171017  by Don
 Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 am
People act like being fair to players is somehow a good idea when it's at best completely useless to have a game that's decent to play without ever spending any money. It should be pretty obvious that spending $20 or even $50 on a game like Epic Seven is roughly as useful as lighting the equivalent amount of money on fire in terms of expected value. This is a game that expects at least a few hundred dollars out of a paying customer since the pull rates are bad enough that anything under $100 has a high probability of just being a total waste. So of course there has to be very strong P2W elements for this to even work because FGO is the only game where people will spend money to buy characters they know that are actually useless just because they're not wearing much clothing. Everything else, even for alleged waifu collectors, people do expect their waifu that they shelled out a bunch to be actually good in the context in the game.

Having the commonly available characters being viable is a sign of a terrible design unless your goal isn't to make money because that's one less slot to sell power. It's especially bad in a game where you have a very small number of slots like Epic Seven. The game will do okay because it's like a prettier Summoner's War but it's going to go the same way where the game is only enjoyable if you spent considerably or you lived long enough to outlast all the guys who spent more than you until they quit.
 #171057  by Eric
 Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:25 pm
The last limited char Diene kinda breaks the game, but she's a 5* limited unit so there's almost no chance she gets nerfed like the 3* units did. Pretty funny.
 #171064  by Don
 Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:24 pm
Like I said I don't think the devs have any idea of what balance even means. It's not necessarily a bad thing if you're on the winning side since you get to slap the peons silly, but sucks if you're on the other side.
 #171076  by Eric
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 pm