The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• How isn't there a dedicated Death Stranding thread?

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #171667  by Zeus
 Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:48 pm
No one here playing it except this old man? I know I haven't been here for a while but cmon, guys ;-)

Anyhoo, this is a real hard game to define and recommend because, really, there's nothing like it. And I think because of that there's a large chunk of the gaming population who will never accept it. 30% minimum IMO, probably more.

I have always been a big Kojima fan so I was always gonna try it. But the man ain't perfect, as MGS5 showed us (phenomenal gameplay, minimal story, a little too much in the crap to do). And when I first started playing this game I really didn't know what to think of it.

This game is a very slow burn. It doesn't do anything flashy. In fact, the core of this gameplay really appears to be monotony. But it's not.....if you get into it. That's both its biggest flaw and strength at the same time. The play is absolutely required to buy into the world, setting, and tasks which seem on the surface just silly.

You're basically a futuristic FedEx delivery man in a post apocalyptic world trying to pull itself back together. That's like 90% of the game. If you cannot get past that don't play it....ever. It doesn't change, it IS the game aside from some side stuff that's a bit different. What makes the game is that these deliveries have real meaning to the world, to the people you're delivering to. If you're never gonna accept that, don't play it. My one buddy just couldn't care less and he got rid of it after a couple of hours of play.

But there's a TON there if you can accept that. There's CONSTANT story expanding the story and world of the large number of NPCs in the game. The passive multiplayer is also different but leads to a large sense of world and community in this game. Very different but very neat.

For those who have played it I'm about halfway through Episode 5, working on Order 40. It was a slow, slow burn but I got into it more and more. I think I've put about 20 hours into it so far. But they were easy hours. It's quite remarkable how easy it is for 2 hours to melt away playing this game when it feels like it was so easy for that time to pass. This is the type of game I can easily see myself putting in an hour or two here and there and doing so much of the additional stuff just because I'm enjoying it.

For those who haven't played it I purposefully left this thread spoiler free. I don't feel it's for everyone and not everyone should try it. And there's SO much noise out there on the game. The unrelenting fanboys and the haters are everywhere. Simply put, this is a super different game and requires you to get into it and to be with more passive, easy going gaming. Don't play it if you're not gonna get into that. It's the opposite of instant gratification, certainly not for the achievement miners. But I think that if you are into all that you'll really dig it
 #171670  by Eric
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:03 pm
I decided to skip the kool-aid this time around. Just looked like a walking simulator to me, Twitch streams really didn't change my mind, nor did reviews.

I'm sure there's some Kojima magic to or whatever, but meh.
 #171673  by Zeus
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:50 am
Like I said, I figured that was going to be the impression a lot of people had. And the game just ain't for everyone, maybe not even half of the people out there. And TBH, if I wasn't paid $5 to play this game for a month, I probably wouldn't have played it yet and woulda waited 'til it dropped to less than half price before I tried it.

But what I can tell you is that the reviews don't give you a good idea of what this game is about. Reading up on what you or even watching some gameplay footage is not going to give you a real experience of the game and the experience IS the game. You really have to play it....if you care to.

And I sure as hell ain't gonna try to convince anyone to play it. If you need to be convinced to try it you ain't gonna like it. That's what happened to a friend of mine who got caught up in the pre-launch hype (didn't like the fanboy pre-jizzing which he admitted probably ruined the game for him). I was on the fence and was only really interested in it because I've liked Kojima's stuff in the past. That being said, it took me a while to really get into it. Was just surprised that no one here said anything at all.

On a side note: I do feel this game will drop to the bargain bins quickly because of the limited appeal it has.
 #171675  by kali o.
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:51 pm
I'm with Eric. The reviews are pretty "meh" and the gameplay vids I've watched didn't do much to change my mind. Plus, I'm not a fan of Kojima's previous work.

I'm glad if some people are liking it, and I always support new things, but I won't consider picking it up unless on the cheap.
 #171677  by Zeus
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:19 pm
It'll be dropping quickly. So many people feel the way you guys do that it'll stop selling fast. Should be down to 50% off in the next month, I'm assuming down to $20 US new before the end of March

I'll be picking it back up to finish it February or March or so once Kijiji gets filled with people who hate it. I honestly can't wait to get back into it but my cheapness will keep me waiting until then