The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Onmyoji The Card Game

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #172398  by Don
 Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:20 am
Not sure if anybody plays card battlers like Hearthstone or MTG, but I've been (past tense) playing Onmyoji the Card Game. If you don't play the story mode, it's probably an okay card battler though I'm not sure if it's anything more special than the aforementioned card battlers. Now, the story mode has a really interesting story... and is also uninstall worthy because after chapter 3 or so your enemy have ridiculously overpowered cards that only they have and you stand little chance of beating them even if you for some reason spent thousands of dollars on the game, since any of their deck is much stronger than the strongest possible deck in the game right now. There are also fights where you're forced to use a predefined deck that has like less than 20% chance of winning against the AI (and it'd be 0% if the AI isn't horrendously stupid). In Chapter 5 you play as Ootengu, who has always been the 'boss' enemy in the previous chapters, and you even get his unique deck to play with, so you might be looking forward to some utter domination with the legend? Except his deck is ridiculously weak and it'd take a miracle to beat anybody that you see he instant kill in the cutscenes. To add insult to injury, if you somehow got close to the end game and you managed to draw your Wings of Valor which is your win-con, literally every guy you play against has a card that can dispel Wings of Valor turning your win-con into an instant lose. Or you could just not draw Wings of Valor and have literally no way of actually winning. Oh yeah, your Ootengu is a unique creature with a health of 12, which is a lot in Hearthstone type games, except every guy you put can do at least 10 damage a round and if Ootengu gets killed once you might as well immediately forfeit because you can't possibly recover from that.

And of course, things can always get worse. In Chapter 6, you have to fight Kingyo, who is always the strongest gag character in the world of Onmyoji by a mile. In fact, the best part of the story is when you play as Kingyo who believes she can beat everyone but always gets slapped by everyone, except this time when you play Kingyo it's like the Hero of Arakawa version that she always dreamed to be who eats Orochi for breakfast. The game suggests you should play a deck with dice rolling mechanism since you get an extra power boost when rolling a 6. What they forgot to mention is that you literally have no way of beating her without whatever this extra power up is because Kingyo's special power allows her to summon a 2/8 every turn and you can't block her attackers (again, creature strength is comparable to Hearthstone). Kingyo is unambiguously much stronger than the strongest player deck by a lot (a 4/4 with drawback is an extremely strong baseline creature), and she's just the first encounter in chapter 6. It'd be one thing if this is some kind of challenge mode where you're supposed to fight against the Hero of Arakawa that everyone knows Kingyo will become one day. The only way you're winning is having a perfect draw and hope she gets a busted draw the entire game. Or maybe rolling a 6 instantly wins you game. I've no idea because all my cards that involve rolling dice are hilariously weak and I don't think I've ever seen any player play with those cards anyway.