The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Square's new Final Fantasy Tactics: Project Triangle Strategy

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #172416  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:55 pm
With names like Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, and now Triangle Strategy, I think Square is really running low on the name ideas... Should have seen it coming after they called about 90 different games "Final Fantasy"

"Project Triangle Strategy" literally sounds like one of those terribly gimmicky office production schemes, like Project Management Scrums or Agile Sprint Planning.

A bit of a background: it's from the Octopath Traveler Team, but IMO, the demo is significantly more fun than the Octopath Traveler demo was. The gameplay didn't feel complex for complexity's sake, the way I found the Octopath Traveler demo. While it's not as slick as Fire Emblem, it's not as dense as a Disgaea game, it lands near the games it looks like: FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre.

Anyway, the demo released on Switch, and I found it a lot of fun from a gameplay perspective. It drops the player right into chapter 5, so the story feels a bit bloated while picking up what's happening.

The graphics are (as I mentioned before)Tactics Ogre-like, and with all the story killing, gore and characters popping out with hidden abilities, it reminded me a great deal of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I'm not the biggest fan of the voice acting, it sounds B-film cartoony (Dragon Quest 8ish, Grandia 2ish). But I think I've been spoiled after Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. But this is probably going to be a minor complaint in the grand scheme.

Anyway, more on the devs: none of the comparisons should be surprising as the dev team is headed up by Tomoya Asano and consists of former staffers from FF Tactics, Grandia, Tactic Ogre, Bravely Default, and Octopath Traveler staff. Basically, Square's creative and experimental B-Teams.

Square announced the game yesterday, and the demo is out now. Here's the trailer: