The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• White Knighting games you don't even play

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #172515  by Don
 Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:29 pm
So I noticed this curious trend. The highest revenue game in the world has been Honor of Kings for quite a long time, which as far as I can tell is like a weak LoL clone in China. So, there will be people telling you that Honor of Kings must be great because it makes so much money, even though they themselves do not play Honor of Kings. While it's understandable to cite a game's financial success if you're a supporter of it, what is the point when you don't even play? It's impossible for me to imagine in a western-dominated forum for anybody to have ever played most of the highest grossing games in the world since half of them are in China and other quarter are in Japan and they all cater to things nobody in the west will be interested. So it's like you never even actually played this game, and it's probably something you wouldn't be interested in, but since it makes huge $, I guess it makes you sound cool you're defending it? At least the system war guys people usually own the system they're defending!

Yes, I know people want to be part of the winning team, but in this case they're not even part of the team so they won't even qualify as a bandwagon fan.
 #172673  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:37 pm
It might just be a side effect of social media culture. For whatever reason everyone has to have a strong opinion on everything these days. Might be an interesting sociological study to see why that mindset exists and the history of how it came into existence.
 #172676  by Don
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:38 pm
That's a good point. I think you sound more knowledgeable if you got some cause you're angry about too. Back in high school, I remember there was this guy where if we talk about say Bill Gates is rich he'd be like the diamonds cartel in Africa have more money they rule the world blah blah blah. Beyond the fact that this information is likely wrong, why would any random high schooler care about if there was a secret cartel in Africa that controlled all of the world's money? We talk about Microsoft because everyone uses Microsoft products and we see that Bill Gates shows up as the world's richest man so it's at least something tangentially we can relate, but nobody sure cares who the #7 richest guy or the who is the secret Illuminati guy that's even richer than Bill Gates is.

I think a lot of news sites work this way too, like you always see these article like 'why you should care some guys in some country you never heard of are having a hard time'. It's like you always got to be outraged about something because just saying "I've never heard of this issue" is not acceptable even when we're talking about issues that no ordinary guy would have any stance on it beyond some basic decency as a human being (e.g. a lot of people are dying in country X, you'd probably say that's unfortunate).