The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Fake Megaman playthroughs

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #172649  by Don
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 am
So this board I go to occasionally there are these guys that are like 'this is my first time I play Megaman 1/2/3/X/X2/X3 and it was easy.' The latest one I saw is some guy claiming to beat Megaman 1 in 2.5 hours the first time without any walkthrough using buster on all the bosses. I mean, I think you can beat Megaman 1 in 2.5 hours from scratch if you are familiar with the genre and you know the rough order to go through (doesn't have to be optimal), but add in 'buster only' and I think it'd take you that much time to just beat Elec Man or Ice Man. Yes you can find random Youtube videos online showing you how to do it, but that defeats the point of no walkthroughs. Besides, the timing for Megaman is the hard part and just because you see someone that can do Yellow Devil or whatever on a Youtube video doesn't mean you can do it.

Oh yeah, the guy also mentioned how he didn't use the freeze cheese on Yellow Devil and beat it with buster only. Seriously, that's not something you can figure out very easily unless you were told about it. At least it's never occurred to me while playing Megaman 1 that hitting select repeatedly lets you do more damage, and also you have to do it right because it also works on your own invincibility frame so if you did it while you're taking a hit you'll just get hit again. He also said Ice Man isn't too hard because he doesn't do much damage. He must not know that Ice Man kills you in 3 attacks from full health to 0 which is why he's hard (and Elec Man too). I know nostalgia is sometimes overrated, but Megaman was actually very hard and you're not the guy doing Megaman walkthrough on Youtube (which is either TAS or the guy played it for tens of hours). I'm not sure who they're trying to fool with these fake playthroughs. I'd guess for the people who never played the game, but then if you never played Megaman why would you care someone beat it or not? I mean sure after watching some Ninja Gaiden world record runs I started to think Ninja Gaiden must not be a very hard game, and then I remember I never actually beat the game, ever.

Then again, I remember hearing people claim to beat Yukari on Touhou 6 without memorizing her pattern, even though her ultimate all her shots just materialize on the screen instantly and there is only one path to get out of the way that you cannot possibly know without seeing her pattern repeatedly. It's not super hard to memorize if you've seen some Youtube videos but it's definitely not something you could figure out the first time or even in a few tries and since it takes like 10 minutes to even get to Yukari's last life bar it's not something you can easily practice. I'm reminded there was this TAS video for some basically impossible hack on a bullet hell game that actually beat it dodging things that aren't humanely possible, and the author was like "I know you think TAS is easy but you can only dodge this stuff slowed down to 1/20th to even have a chance at dodging this, and remember that the fight you have to slow down lasts about a minute in normal time so it's 30 minutes per attempt and it took like 50 hours of playing to pull this off". But for people faking their awesome ability to do Youtube worthy performance they never remember that such performance takes a lot of time, especially if you're dealing with a game where you can't just save your progress by the boss.