The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Switch reaches 103.54m sales, outselling Wii and PS1 | Nintendo Fiscal Report

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #172982  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:17 pm
Some highlights

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 43.35 million and Animal Crossing New Horizons sold 37.62 million. Removing mandatory bundles, these are the #1 and #2 highest selling retail games of all time on a single platform, nothing passing Mario Kart Wii (37.38 million) this year.
* Include Mandatory bundles, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still beats Super Mario Bros and Tetris GB, which sold 41 and 40 million respectively, but not Wii Sports which sold 82.9 million.

2. Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild sells another 1.7 million for a total of 25.8 million units. For comparison’s sake, the second highest selling Zelda ever is Ocarina of Time on N64, which sold 7.6 million. Sales are actually UP in 2021 over 2020, as the game sold 4.35 million in 2021 and 3.5 million in 2020.

3. The best selling first party game of the year was Pokémon Diamond and Pearl which sold 13.97 million.

4. Best selling third party game of the year is Monster Hunter Rise, which released in March 26, 2021 and sold 7.7 million by the end of the year. This makes it the highest selling game in the franchise on a single platform during its first year -previous dedicated console record was PS4 version sold 4.67 million year 1 for MHW, and the previous overall record was the PC version sold 5.7 million for the same game.

5. The sleeper hit, Ring Fit Adventure, has pushed its sales up to 13.53 million units.

6. Despite hardware shipments failing to meet demands in the quarter because of chip shortages, Nintendo still boosted its profit forecast for the year from 520B yen to 560B yen ($4.9 billion US) based on strong software sales during the holidays. There’s speculation that Nintendo won’t roll out a Switch successor until the shortages end.

7. Over 5000 games are now available for the Switch. The most of any dedicated console in history.

8. The Switch is just behind the Wii as the most top heavy software seller in video game history. 20 million sales is insane for a single game on a single platform - it’s something no Playstation console has ever achieved. In fact, the only five consoles to do it so far are NES, Gameboy, DS, Wii, and Switch. But here’s how the two juggernauts compare:

30 million+ the Switch 2, the Wii 4. - note: these 6 games make up 60% of the total 10 games to pass this mark (Tetris GB, Pokémon gen 1, Super Mario Bros, and New Super Mario Bros DS are the others).
Switch has six games over 20 million while the Wii had seven.

20 million+ Switch 6, Wii 7 - note: these are 13 of the total 21 games that have surpassed 20 million on a single platform.

10 million + Switch 13, Wii 9 - note: the only category where Switch beats the Wii, but most of these 10 million+ games are evergreens heading to 20 million units.
5 million+ Switch 19, Wii 21
1 million+ Switch 60, Wii 63

Switch should equal or pass the Wii in all categories by the end of 2022, Smash Bros Ultimate will pass 30 million no problem, Breath of the Wild will be a close call, it’s about 4.2 million away, and sold 4.35 million in 2021, but keep in mind this is actually up from the 3.5 million it sold in 2020, so interest is rising in the game as the sequel approaches.
 #172993  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:40 am
Two day 1 records were set in 2021:
1. Monster Hunter Rise sold 4 million in its first day making it the fastest selling third party game on the Switch.
2. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond sold 6 million launch day.

2022 has already topped it, as Pokémon Arceus, that launched a week ago, sold 6.5 million launch day. This is more impressive by the fact that it’s the second Pokémon game in 2 months. Although a completely different style as this one’s open world (I think?).

Pokémon Sword and Shield was the previous record holder with 6 million sold opening weekend in 2019.

Although. Animal Crossing: New Horizons might be the true uncrowned King - 11.77 million sold in its first 11 days. 13.41 million by 6 weeks. By 4 months, it had sold 22.41 million. By the end of the year (9 months 11 days later) it had sold 31.18 million. And after 1 year, 9 months, 11 days, broke the previous record as the highest selling unbundled game on a single dedicated gaming console at 37.62 million - previously held by Mario Kart Wii.

Although, Mario Kart 8D also happened to break that record the same time, and made it further ahead. But Mario Kart 8D released in 2017 and Animal Crossing in 2020… I don’t know what’s more impressive, the fast that AC did it so fast, or the fact that MK8D is still selling strong 4.5 years after it released. Mario Kart 8D also broke the records of Super Mario Bros (mandatory bundle on NES) and Tetris (mandatory bundle on Gameboy), but is still only half way to Wii Sports, which remains the highest selling game, overall, by far, on a single platform.

Why is Pokémon so fucking popular again?
Pokémon Go. In May 2018 it had 147 active users, over 1 billion downloads, and had made 6 billion USD in revenue. For comparison’s sake, this is slightly above the lifetime revenue of GTA5 on all platforms.

I hate Pokémon :)

On a side note:
Metroid Dread, a game first announced and developed like 20 years ago in the GBA/early DS era, finally got made. It sold 2.74 million units the first quarter of its release, already almost the best selling Metroid game of all time.

I haven’t played it yet, but I’m a big fan of the first two Metroid games, then less so of the more recent ones. Even Zero lost something for me despite being virtually Metroid 1 plus a bunch of really cool extras and a whole epilogue section that I never made it to.

Maybe I need to give Zero another shot, I played through Metroid 1 recently, and still like the game. I hope Nintendo goes back to the series roots like they did with Breath of the Wild, and makes a 3D open world Metroid game. Basically, Metroid and Zelda were Nintendo’s two open world games on NES, one overhead, the other side scroller. Both games are classics. Breath of the Wild is the first open world Zelda game since - although, most follow an RPG style gameplay where areas and dungeons unlock as the player moves through the quest. Metroid and Zelda virtually had the whole place available shortly after the beginning portions.
 #172996  by Oracle
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:24 pm
Eric wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:23 am
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220203_3e.pdf

Smart decision by Nintendo to make a hybrid system, with the global chip shortage though I'm kinda concerned how long we're gonna be stuck on it's crappy hardware though.
Apparently the Switch is only halfway through it's lifetime. That doesn't rule out a switch-pro in that later-half of life for the console, but I'd think a step like that would be generational.