The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Capcom 40th Anniversary Sale (and Summer Sales)

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #173232  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:47 pm
Just a heads up, there are a number of sales going on right now. On Switch alone there are some massive sales on catalogue collections. The most interesting looks to be the Capcom ones as they have the highest discounts on any of their games that I’ve ever seen for those specific games.

The one I picked up was the five game Ace Attorney Bundle which include both Great Ace Attorney games and the original trilogy. Capcom’s bundles are generally a big discount as is on the existing titles (although, Phoenix Wright’s original trilogy isn’t sold separately on modern platforms). This one is a bundle of two bundles, already a lower price on the two bundles, with a 58% discount sale on top of it. The biggest discount this bundle has ever had.

Looking for a more 3D type experience, the whole Assassin’s Creed collection (by Ubisoft) is also having its biggest sale ever. The Ezio games are 50% off for the first time. For me, these games stole the PS3 from FF13 for me. I enjoyed them a lot. The main reason I’m passing on them is my backlog of really pressing games has exploded this year, and Suikoden 1 and 2 aren’t even out yet.

Live A Live also has a deal, but not a massive one, 30% off, but if you’re a fan of Takashi Tokita - the writer/Director of FF4, and the guy who brought Chrono Trigger together from the scripts of Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest) and Masato Kato (Chrono Cross), then you’ll probably really like this game. It also shows how much of his creative DNA is in the Chrono Trigger experience, and that hit was probably the major missing ingredient left out of Chrono Cross…

Side mini-rant: had Takashi Tokita left Square for Monolithsoft (along with Tetsuya Takahashi, Yasayuke Honne, Masato Kato, and Yasunori Mitsuda—the later two working freelance, but contracted), I think he’d have had much stronger careers, and would have been better used by Monolithsoft than Square. Square kind of lost faith in him after Parasite Eve, which I thought was a great game. Masato Kato probably would have lasted with Monolithsoft had he had someone to tell him “no” on bad creative decisions, because Takahashi, Mitsuda, and Honne aren’t those guys… but Takashi Tokita is. Mitsuda is a tortured perfectionist, Tetsuya Takahashi is another creative fountain type but cuts his work down for scope, and Honne isn’t really a writer. Tokita, on the other hand, seems to understand pacing and maintaining an aura of mystery to keep players speculating, on a level beyond most other writers; he just needs a creative fountain type to work with to reach the highest potentials.
 #173236  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 am
Yeah. I find Monster Hunter works as a local multiplayer, and is really dry as a single player or online multiplayer game. Also, with Monster Hunter, the best experience is probably going to be the first game you got into, no matter how much more advanced it gets... kind of like Smash Bros.

Correction, FOUR Ace Attorney games is what I picked up :D
I mean, I already owned the original trilogy, but they were so cheap that I figured I might as well get them on modern hardware.

As a side note. The Apollo Justice games are coming out at some point soon. I do have the first one, but haven't finished it.