The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• AVGN - Final Fantasy III/FF6

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #173294  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:11 pm
At the beginning of the video James/AVGN refers to FF6 as the best game of all time.

My experience of contenders for the "best game of all time" were almost subverted on a yearly basis in the 1990s:
1989 - Best games ever are Faxanadu and Captain Skyhawk!
1990 - Now its Super Mario Bros 3 and Final Fantasy!
1991 - Now its Final Fantasy Legend 2
1992 - Now its Sonic 2 and Final Fantasy 4
1993 - Wait, is it Secret of Mana now?
1994 - Damn, it's definitely FF6... DKC for action.
1995 - Chrono Trigger and Earthbound??? DKC2? and so on.

I still like this channel and Mike Mattei's when they go back and show how much these old games mean to them. For me, it was probably in the period following Xenogears and FF8 at the end of the 1990s where I stopped feeling my favourite game was surpassed and replaced in some or all ways. It might be because my teen years ended as I don't think games actually got worse, just life circumstances changed. I know Mike and James from AVGN, who are a few years older than me, seem to shut down the "every year has a new best game of all time contender" a few years earlier than me - Mike might even argue gaming peaked during the late 8-bit early 16-bit overlap, while James (AVGN) goes until the mid-late SNES era.

But enough of my inconsequential reminiscing ramble! Here's the video:

Not entirely sure, but I think that's Mike in the Santa Suit.