The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Really dissappointed with nVidia...

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #110013  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:37 pm
Ok, so the last two days I've been fucking with nVidia's latest WHQL certified set of drivers for my PC. I've been using the 94.24 set and decided to test out the new 162 version (non-beta) and see what they were like. I install the drivers and am playing Rome TW and noticed a huge change, the screen no longer takes up the entire screen on my monitor, they shrank it and WS'ed. Whatever, I attribute this to the nVidia driver since it happened right after I had installed it. Not very attractive. Yesterday while browsing digg I come across a .wmv file movie that is attached to an article. I try to view the video, no dice. All it was was a black screen, but with sound so I assumed it was probably just a bad stream. Assumed it was a Firefox, WMP not playing nice issue. Used IE, still didn't work. Downloaded the .wmv to my desktop and attempted to play it in winamp. It played, yay for me. Today, I do the same thing, try to watch the same video and BAM! None of my movie files (.avi, mpeg-4, .wmv) work.

First I thought it was a nasty virus. Then I remembered that there might be some sort of DRM infection caused by Windows Media Player 11. Guess what I uninstall? Still no dice after the reboot. Ok, it's gotta be the driver. Uninstall the driver, reinstall the driver, movies work but now my DVI port monitor won't display in native 1440x900 res. No big deal, uninstall/resinstall still same problem. Now, I got on the net, found my old drivers and downloaded and installed them. Both monitors work fine, I can watch movies. I heard some nasty shit from people about nVidia's drivers going tits up but this was really my first experience with any problems with regards to their drivers. Very upset if this is what is to come from now on from them.