The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Political map web site I'm working on

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #166357  by ManaMan
 Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:29 am
Hey just thought I'd share this thing I'm working on with you: I'm working on a political map based web site right now. On various new articles that discuss state-level politics they have a map of the US showing different state-level policies. Because I'm a political geek (a "wonk" if you will) I thought it would be neat to have a single web site that allows you to browse different state level policies and other state facts. Also, I'm learning Python right now and wanted something I could use my new skills on (since I haven't had an opportunity at work yet). It's a Django web application. Eventually I'll expose the state data via a RESTful JSON-based web service and change the UI to be a JavaScript-driven single-page app (SPA).

Anyway, here's the link: State Wonk. I hope to eventually add more detailed data per state as well as a blog to discuss new maps & changes. It's in very early beta right now but once it's ready for prime time I'll buy a proper domain name for it.
 #166359  by Replay
 Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:53 am
I like! Any way to expand the categories or expand it into a Google Maps plugin?
 #166361  by ManaMan
 Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:49 pm
I like! Any way to expand the categories or expand it into a Google Maps plugin?
The categories available are only the ones that I've input into the database so far. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

As for Google Maps, I'm interested in seeing what other ways I can map things. The free JavaScript-based map that I'm using only lets you display things at the state level and leaves out DC and the US territories. I'd like to be able to drill down to the city or county level as well.
 #166365  by Replay
 Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:17 pm
You want the website - Google Maps layers won't provide revenue or ad space if you want to make this sustainable - but in a pure scientific sense, nothing on Earth can beat a Google Maps layer for geographic and statistical analysis.

I checked out the available geotools a few years back, including NASA World Wind.

Google Maps (the old Keyhole - interestingly, Google did not actually make Maps, though they bought it very early on) puts all others to shame.

It is used by corporate, intelligence, and other high-powered communities all over the world all the time. I should get back into it myself.
 #169467  by mike12345
 Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:58 am
ManaMan wrote:Hey just thought I'd share this thing I'm working on with you: I'm working on a political map based web site right now. On various new articles that discuss state-level politics they have a map of the US showing different state-level policies. Because I'm a political geek (a "wonk" if you will) I thought it would be neat to have a single web site that allows you to browse different state level policies and other state facts. Also, I'm learning Python right now and wanted something I could use my new skills on (since I haven't had an opportunity at work yet). It's a Django web application. Eventually I'll expose the state data via a RESTful JSON-based web service and change the UI to be a JavaScript-driven single-page app (SPA).

Anyway, here's the link: State Wonk. I hope to eventually add more detailed data per state as well as a blog to discuss new map of lakes in south carolina & changes. It's in very early beta right now but once it's ready for prime time I'll buy a proper domain name for it.
Hello ManaMan,
Thanks for sharing this information with us. Actually I am travelling from state to state so therefore this state wonk is very useful for me. :thumbup: