The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez' "Corruption Game" on the floor of Congress

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #171159  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Here's the video. I wouldn't even say AOC's only a rising star in the democratic party; she is the defacto leader. The one with the proper vision for the future of the country that aligns with technological and economic evolutions. It's unfortunate when it comes to the rapid advances that are transforming our civilization, most of the government is depressingly clueless and out of date. Right now she's shaping the political discussion of the US.
 #171161  by Replay
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:57 pm
Sure! She is arguably the ideological leader of at least the youth wing of liberalism at this point. She certainly has my support; she's incredibly brave and intelligent, especially for her age, and could be a Democratic leader for fifty years to come if she wants it.

Pelosi remains the leader of the old guard, and I'm not thrilled with her demeanment of AOC and the "green dream", as she has so condescendingly called the Green New Deal. It's time for some of these centrists with tentacles wrapped around the machine to either start working with the new generation, or face backlash and a voter rebellion, in my eyes.
 #171163  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 pm
Old guard is a good way to describe Pelosi. I mean, she's been around for a while =P

I think Pelosi's comments are blown out of proportion. The "Green Dream" comment was more of a "I am not quite sure what this is yet." comment, as a few days later she said she hasn't had time to look at it yet. She said as much in an interview a few days later: I don't think there's any reason not to believe her, she has been very busy rallying the house and kicking ass lately.

In that later response, she also seemed very positive and enthusiastic about having such a document outlining the challenges the country faces, and that people are becoming aware of it. We'll see when she actually reads the document. I think, at most, Pelosi might see AOC as a pro-active hotshot, with a good finger on the pulse of the American public, who is forcing her way up the ladder of influence rather than waiting her turn; and, of course, I might be reading too much into that. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.
 #171165  by Replay
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 am
I don't hate Nancy Pelosi. But I feel like, for a supposed liberal leader, she does so little to try to connect with or inspire the next generation.

It's like Kobe at the end of his Lakers' tenure - sure, she's put up gaudy numbers in terms of legislation, and everybody loves her, but she's not building a team capable of winning games after she's gone - and she's in her 70's.

She has, realistically, a decade at *most* before retirement will force its hand. She absolutely needs to be training her successors and building a liberal coalition, not looking down at this freshman class that has more principle and drive than any Democratic House majority in years.
 #171184  by kali o.
 Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:42 pm
The "leader" of the party is a 29 year old bartender that thinks the world is going to end in 12 years, a complete hypocrite, abused her power leading to 1 ethic complaint within her first few weeks and refers to herself as "The Boss".

This is nearly as funny to me as Harris running in 2020, as a 1 term senator with zero accomplishments beyond her sex and colour.

Maybe folks on the Left can no longer identify corruption and incompetence? Perhaps Trump broke their brains.... But moderates and independents will deliver a reality check soon enough. As the Dems as a party are in shambles (as evidenced by your newest leaders) maybe now the US can move beyond the two party system, provided tribalism politics dies a deserving death.
 #171192  by Replay
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 am
kali o. wrote:
I hate progressives and people who don't worship money the way I do! Screw Ocasio-Cortez, she wants to tax me, and screw Harris, she prosecutes people like me! Fuck you, liberals! You're not as rich as I am! Muhuhuhahahaha!
*pats you gently on the head again*
 #171195  by kali o.
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:35 pm
Replay wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 am
kali o. wrote:
I hate progressives and people who don't worship money the way I do! Screw Ocasio-Cortez, she wants to tax me, and screw Harris, she prosecutes people like me! Fuck you, liberals! You're not as rich as I am! Muhuhuhahahaha!
*pats you gently on the head again*
Can't help but notice you couldn't dispute anything I said... And no, fake quoting is fun, but she can't tax me -- I can simply divest my income stream and move it outside the US. We play by the rules if they are fair -- we leave and loophole if it is not.
 #171197  by Replay
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 am
kali o. wrote:
Can't help but notice you couldn't dispute anything I said...
Why should I? I'm tired of wasting my time wading through the beta-cuck lying-fuck darkness of your mind, possibly at great personal risk to myself if you ever decide you're *really* mad at me because your life sucks and I call you out on that and then you decide to start "joking" about killing people again.

You don't ever change, you won't ever turn into a good person, so why should I bother?

Why do I need to convince anyone here that AOC deserves her slot and is a needed product of her time? Seek's a bigger fan than I am, apparently. And most of the rest of the board trends liberal.

Liberalism on the board has the quorum of support it needs here for 2020; you're the one who has to convince people here if you're looking to pick up votes.

Despite your bragging about all the friendships you've purchased here, it hasn't gotten you any political support - because people are tired of Trump and alt-right thinking generally, no matter how well he does on the economy, or how many historic peace conferences he starts when no one else will and then proceeds to fuck up because he doesn't read anything or think his senior diplomats are worth listening to.

And that is because he's an asshole.

And I am tired of you for the same reason - so you have fun telling everyone why they should listen to old lying billionaires who want to make people work in bondage for a lifetime for a couple bucks an hour, instead of a bright young bartender-turned-politician who actually wants to help young people get jobs at a wage they can start families at, whether or not she's any good at it so far. People are listening to her because her ideology serves a need, and the interests of a vast great dispossessed American young liberal population of millenials working way too hard for old assholes for way too little, with no effective legal protections and gouged to a slow torturous economic death by an uncaring establishment.

I idly wonder if some of the poor young people you've raised rents on or evicted over the years to build your empire might be supporting her by now. Karma's a bitch, isn't it?
kali o. wrote:
And no, fake quoting is fun, but she can't tax me -- I can simply divest my income stream and move it outside the US. We play by the rules if they are fair -- we leave and loophole if it is not.
Please do. Take all the money and get the fuck out. Bon voyage. Have fun! Take your "handlers" and as many assorted professional exploiters and losers as you can muster with you! I hear you enjoy Thailand; just imagine how many "happy endings" you can buy there. You can go pay poor women to rub your lonely, unrequited penis for the rest of your fucking life.

Just don't come crying back when you realize what I realized more than a decade ago here - if you abdicate and give your power away, do not be surprised at the changes when and if you ever want to come back.
 #171218  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:53 pm
I love AOC is knocking some heads in the Democratic primary to force in good governance.

One of the big issues in politics are last minute addenda to the bills just before they are pushed to the vote. Especially when it's to get some random/unrelated item in. It undermines months, and sometimes years of process and convolutes the process. She's saying that Democrats who do this are going to be called out and primaried.
I like it.