The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Rep. Ilhan Omar Calls Out Generational War Criminal On Congressional Floor

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #171162  by Replay
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pm
I *like* this new batch of real American heroes. God bless her!
“Yes or no,” Omar, undeterred, continued. “Would you support an armed faction within Venezuela that engages in war crimes, crimes against humanity, or genocide, if you believe they were serving U.S. interests, as you did in Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua?”

Smirking, Abrams responded that, “I don’t think this entire line of questioning is meant to be real questions, and so I will not reply.”
https://splinternews.com/ilhan-omar-dra ... 1832597679
 #171220  by Shrinweck
 Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:54 pm
kali o. wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:00 pm
Well, she is an anti-Semite, pro Hamas and pro BDS, so I can understand the appeal for you.
Is she? I don't know that much about her. Has she been saying prejudiced things against Jewish people?
She's been going after Aipac (pro-Israel lobbying group), not Jews. I don't think she has made a single actual anti-Semitic comment to date. The closest that I'm aware of is a Tweet that hinted at old Jewish stereotypes that she apologized about.

I, uh, don't think she supports Israel at all though. So that's not really going to pan out well for her in terms of support.
 #171238  by Replay
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:40 pm
It is worth noting that Omar spoke in California yesterday - and was hounded by hundreds of protesters, some of whom waved Israeli flags and shouted anti-Muslim obscenities.

Compare and contrast the media responses to this:

Most media outlets have censored the anti-Islamic shouts from coverage completely.

Not a single member of Congress has denounced the protesters or the rhetoric.

When "Burn the Qu'ran!" gets less condemnation than "It's all about the Benjamins", I think it's time to start asking questions about the generational hasbara (Hebrew for "public relations", but often translated simply and effectively as "propaganda") campaign that Israel has been waging in America for decades to attempt to "align" American priorities with those of Israel - to normalize Islamophobia and war against Muslim countries, and to stigmatize or criminalize criticism of Israel in violation of the First Amendment.
 #171245  by Don
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm
I think it's unfair to blame people lobbying for special interests because as far as I know the Democrats have way more money as a party than anyone else based on campaign spending in 2016, so if some group of guys spending billions can get something to happen, it'd reason that an entire party with far more resources than that can easily do things to drown out any individual influence, especially considering there's no way most special interests are aligned together (e.g. the farmers would have nothing in common with guys who want to sell guns). I think it goes back to the Constitution of the United States is actually not very good and gets you either a divided or ineffective government (the checks and balances are a fancy way of saying it's hard to actually get anything done so nobody can usurp power easily) so if special interest group X isn't there it'd just be some other equally pointless special interest group. I think it's more like crazy luck it's even worked well so far and needing a civil war to amend the Constitution so that slavery is no longer legal shows the underlying problem.

I think until you get some of the stuff people talk about like getting rid of the electoral college or reforming the Supreme Court so it isn't just like 7 old guys that refuse to retire, it's always going to be mess when people decide to stop playing nice.