The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Watching

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #161514  by Zeus
 Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:Ah, now I realize my problem with the movie, Zack Snyder, terrible director. I've seen three other films directed by him; all were mediocre, low brow films. It's not a wonder that a talent like Christian Bale won't touch a role in a film directed by him; but Ben Affleck was willing to sell-out. Then again, I can imagine Affleck would have always wanted to play a role like Batman, considering he is a fan and all - I am not sure Bale was before his casting in the Nolan version of Batman.
Even if you don't like 300, he did an excellent job with Watchmen.
What about his other films, did you like them? They are, in order:

Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Watchmen
Legend of the Guardians
Sucker Punch
Man of Steel
 #161516  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 pm
Dawn of the Dead's remake was SO good. Ty Burrell alone takes the movie from fun to great. I was expecting utter shit and got something surprisingly great. Take or leave basically everything else. Seems to excel at making movies that you can enjoy at the time but there's no reason to re-watch hardly any of them.
 #161530  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:07 pm
Watchmen is definitely worth watching. One of my top 5 movies. Faithful to the source material, too.
 #161542  by Zeus
 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:10 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Watchmen is definitely worth watching. One of my top 5 movies. Faithful to the source material, too.
So that's the only one of Snyder's films you liked?
 #161560  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:28 pm
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:Watchmen is definitely worth watching. One of my top 5 movies. Faithful to the source material, too.
So that's the only one of Snyder's films you liked?
I liked 300, too, but I know Seeker can rant on about how much he hated that movie for miles. Haven't seen the rest. Don't care about Superman. I've heard that Sucker Punch is good, though it depends on who you ask.

But, Watchmen? Fuck yes. That's up there with Scott Pilgrim under "Movies That I was Psyched about Before It Came Out and It Lived Up to Its Expectations". Also under "Movies That Got Me to Read the Source Material".
 #161571  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am
Hold on: you've only seen 300 and Watchmen? If you liked the former and the latter is one of your top 5 of all time, why haven't you given this director's other movies a shot?
 #161574  by Shrinweck
 Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:46 pm
On an unrelated note I watched Kick Ass 2 and it was pretty horrible. The first one wasn't good but it was fun... the sequel wasn't good and it also wasn't fun. Not even worth it to see Chloe Moretz act up to her usual standards. A real "I kind of want my time back" movie
 #161577  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 pm
Shrinweck wrote:On an unrelated note I watched Kick Ass 2 and it was pretty horrible. The first one wasn't good but it was fun... the sequel wasn't good and it also wasn't fun. Not even worth it to see Chloe Moretz act up to her usual standards. A real "I kind of want my time back" movie
Yeah, but did you like the first one? Did you find it horrible in comparison to the first or overall? Just curious
 #161579  by Shrinweck
 Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 pm
It's horrible in comparison and just plain bad overall. In hindsight I wasn't crazy about the original but remember enjoying it when I first watched it. Some of the sequel is just plain horribly written. I don't remember finding any lines just god awful in the first one. Also the violence, which is basically the entire point of the movie, isn't all that entertaining with maybe one exception.
 #161594  by SineSwiper
 Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 am
Zeus wrote:Hold on: you've only seen 300 and Watchmen? If you liked the former and the latter is one of your top 5 of all time, why haven't you given this director's other movies a shot?
Well, I hate zombie horror movies. And I hate Superman. Legend of the Guardians is a kids movie. That leaves Sucker Punch, which I will probably watch eventually.
 #161611  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:04 am
I watched The Life of Pi last night. Fantastic film! I am now upset I didn't see it in theatre in full glorious 3D.

One thing that really struck me was how Canadian the story of this film is. When I say that, I mean in the viewpoint Canadians have toward religion.
 #161619  by Zeus
 Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:Hold on: you've only seen 300 and Watchmen? If you liked the former and the latter is one of your top 5 of all time, why haven't you given this director's other movies a shot?
Well, I hate zombie horror movies. And I hate Superman. Legend of the Guardians is a kids movie. That leaves Sucker Punch, which I will probably watch eventually.
Day of the Dead and 28 Days Later redefined zombie movies. Maybe you wanna give this one a shot? Superman is a completely new re-imagining so basing it off of the old ones, good or bad, ain't necessarily a good idea. Sucker Punch is a unique film that's pretty polarizing, it'll give or take if you'll like it
 #161621  by SineSwiper
 Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 am
28 Days Later was directed by Danny Boyle, and you didn't list it above.
 #161624  by Shrinweck
 Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:15 pm
I think he just listed it because out of the last several years, it's one of the greatest zombie movies that are definitely great in their own right and shouldn't be ignored. Shaun of the Dead is included in this category. So is [Rec] and perhaps [Rec2] if you can get past the subtitles. But not the third one.
 #161626  by Zeus
 Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:47 pm
SineSwiper wrote:28 Days Later was directed by Danny Boyle, and you didn't list it above.
I was just using it in conjunction with Day of the Dead as the two movies that helped re-define zombie movies. I never said Snyder directed it.

Still, you should give Snyder's other films a shot if you wanna know what he's like as a director. So far you've only seen the two
 #161629  by SineSwiper
 Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:31 pm
28 Days and Months Later were okay, but not great. Frankly, Shawn of the Dead is one of the best zombie movies out there.
 #161639  by Anarky
 Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:16 pm
Got the Fiancee to finally give Breaking Bad a second chance. We're currently on Season 3. She is actually enjoying it this time around, but says it is uneven at parts. There is also talks of giving Game of Thrones another chance. So I am quite happy about these developments.
 #161643  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm
SineSwiper wrote:28 Days and Months Later were okay, but not great. Frankly, Shawn of the Dead is one of the best zombie movies out there.
Shaun of the Dead is a comedy. Hilarious, yes, but a comedy. I'm talking a change in 35 years of zombies that was led by 28 Days and Dawn of the Dead remake. Heck, you can almost say that Left 4 Dead's zombies (non-specials) were almost completely inspired by Dawn of the Dead/28 Days Later
 #161644  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm
Anarky wrote:Got the Fiancee to finally give Breaking Bad a second chance. We're currently on Season 3. She is actually enjoying it this time around, but says it is uneven at parts. There is also talks of giving Game of Thrones another chance. So I am quite happy about these developments.
Dear Lord, I didn't realize you were such a masochist. Does she really deserve this kind of venom from you? :-)
 #161646  by Anarky
 Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:16 pm
Zeus wrote:
Anarky wrote:Got the Fiancee to finally give Breaking Bad a second chance. We're currently on Season 3. She is actually enjoying it this time around, but says it is uneven at parts. There is also talks of giving Game of Thrones another chance. So I am quite happy about these developments.
Dear Lord, I didn't realize you were such a masochist. Does she really deserve this kind of venom from you? :-)
It's not like I'm making her watch True Blood with me.
 #161654  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:57 pm
I haven't seen True Blood. Didn't care to check it out 'til I found out it was Alan Ball. Now I at least have to try it
 #161656  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 pm
Zeus wrote:I haven't seen True Blood. Didn't care to check it out 'til I found out it was Alan Ball. Now I at least have to try it
True Blood is actually really good. The latter seasons are starting to wane, but at least the first 3 seasons are excellent.
 #161662  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:10 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:I haven't seen True Blood. Didn't care to check it out 'til I found out it was Alan Ball. Now I at least have to try it
True Blood is actually really good. The latter seasons are starting to wane, but at least the first 3 seasons are excellent.
So I hear. But honestly, I'm a little tired of zombies and vampires, just too much of it nowadays. This one I'll try solely because of Alan Ball. He deserves another shot from me
 #161664  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:42 pm
It's a soap opera. The lore and characters tend to be super interesting and well done, but for every cool reveal and development there's forty minutes of people talking about their feelings. Season one and two are worthwhile though. I got burned out during three and couldn't even get through two episodes of the fourth season.
 #161680  by Zeus
 Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm
Shrinweck wrote:It's a soap opera. The lore and characters tend to be super interesting and well done, but for every cool reveal and development there's forty minutes of people talking about their feelings. Season one and two are worthwhile though. I got burned out during three and couldn't even get through two episodes of the fourth season.
I've heard from multiple people how it's great for the first two seasons then starts to falter. I normally wouldn't give it a shot but Six Feet was so amazing I have to give Ball one more chance
 #161698  by Shrinweck
 Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 pm
I've been wanting to get around to Babylon Five for a while and never really got to it. After a nice reminder in the Breaking Bad episode I'm watching it now and it's pretty decent. About ten episodes in and I'd say it has a 40-50% hit to miss rate in the first season which is better than basically any modern Star Trek iteration and other sci-fi series' first seasons.

It kind of seems like a less interesting Star Trek DS9 so far, even though I'm liking it more than DS9's first season.
 #161702  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 am
Yeah, the seasons get a lot better as it goes along.
 #161863  by Shrinweck
 Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm
Key and Peele's third season started strong this week and I'm willing to say at this point that it's better than Chappelle Show.
 #161936  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 pm
Caught the first episodes of Brooklyn Nine Nine and SHIELD and they were both good enough to keep me watching.

I like Andy Samberg enough at this point that all he has to do is literally be on screen and I'm likely smiling so I'm probably biased. The supporting cast is a lot of fun, too, though. Chelsea Peretti and Joe lo Truglio are perfect for their roles.

SHIELD could have been terrible and definitely wasn't so I'm intrigued enough to keep watching for now.
 #161942  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 am
Babylon 5 was a fantastic series. I watched it a couple of years ago, and I was thoroughly impressed. Especially considering the tiny budget they were working with. Voyager had episodes which literally cost more than entire seasons of B5. Most people don't like Voyager as much as other Star Treks, but it's my favourite of the bunch. Babylon 5 I think I liked a little more overall; although Voyager was more spectacular due to the tech and budget advantages.
 #161946  by Shrinweck
 Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:58 am
Yeah I finished it and as a whole was quite satisfied with Babylon 5, even though the last season eventually ran out of steam. I couldn't get into the spin-off especially knowing it doesn't come to any sort of real conclusion. The movie where the woman kicks and punches to fire the ships weapons is possibly the stupidest thing I've seen in recent memory. But seasons one through four were top notch science fiction.

Also yeah given hindsight on the modern Star Trek television series I think I liked Voyager the most even though there are way, way, way too many time episodes where nothing actually happens as well as holodeck gone wild episodes.
 #162010  by SineSwiper
 Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:26 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Yeah I finished it and as a whole was quite satisfied with Babylon 5, even though the last season eventually ran out of steam. I couldn't get into the spin-off especially knowing it doesn't come to any sort of real conclusion. The movie where the woman kicks and punches to fire the ships weapons is possibly the stupidest thing I've seen in recent memory.
Crusade is still worth watching. Galen is fucking badass.
 #162225  by Shrinweck
 Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:43 am
Checked out Stephen Merchant's new HBO comedy Hello Ladies and I'm liking it much more than his stand up special by the same name. Without Curb Your Enthusiasm this is the closest show I've seen come to matching it for cringe-inducing humor. Gervais isn't involved which at this point makes me happy since he's been so ham-fisted lately. Guy being an idiot with women is such an over-used premise, and this doesn't appear to bring anything all that new to the table, but the show is well written enough that it powers through. Not all that laugh out loud funny, but entertaining for sure.

Also caught The Eric Andre Show which is quite good. Usually avoid the absurdist humor (Tim and Eric for example are pioneering the shit out of this but unfortunately 30-70% of each episode requires a level of inebriation to be entertaining) shows these days since I'm basically always sober, but this show admittedly tries to copy the Space Ghost Coast to Coast formula and manages to be good while being derivative. Hannibal Buress is his co-host and is god damned hilarious. Eric Andre has next to no shame and only seems to be drawing the line at not getting arrested for a comedy bit and not actually making children cry. He had to learn both lessons the hard way. Show is laugh out loud funny in nearly every episode.
 #162228  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:06 am
Getting back into South Park and have watched through just about all the seasons I am behind on; last 3-4. They had a bad season in there, but overall it's still fairly good.
 #162229  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 am
So, I think @Midnight is a sleeper hit on Comedy Central. Nobody knows about this show, but it's really goddamn funny most of the time. It reminds me of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but with a bunch of Internet references. Yeah, it looks like it has a bunch of corporate money thrown at it, but at least they are insulting the sponsors most of the time.
 #162230  by Blotus
 Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:45 am
Julius Seeker wrote:Getting back into South Park and have watched through just about all the seasons I am behind on; last 3-4. They had a bad season in there, but overall it's still fairly good.
The most recent season has been pretty blah so far, but the show has a whole has remained funny as other animated series have fallen off (Simpsons- not great, Family Guy-awful).

The upcoming Stick of Truth game (March) is looking great:

I watched the first season of Orange is the New Black and it's pretty terrific. Incredibly casted, great character show. Would be good show to watch with a wife/girlfriend.
 #162256  by Shrinweck
 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 pm
Saw the new Wolverine movie. Wasn't great but it wasn't bad, as long as you can shut up the comic nerd in you shouting "That's not how it would happen!"
 #162272  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:55 pm
I'd proibably like it. I loved the first Wolverine movie; but I think it was mainly because I didn't have never heard of this Deadpool the comic book people whine about, and that Weapon X1 was probably based on that character.

I honestly didn't even realize it was in theatres yet. I thought it was a 2014 movie.
 #162273  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:36 pm
I am going to start Deep Space 9 in the next few days, I don't plan to go through it quickly, so it will probably be a good 4-6 months before I finish it.
 #162283  by SineSwiper
 Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 am
Julius Seeker wrote:I'd proibably like it. I loved the first Wolverine movie; but I think it was mainly because I didn't have never heard of this Deadpool the comic book people whine about, and that Weapon X1 was probably based on that character.
Even without ruining Deadpool, the movie ruined Wolverine himself by having such a dumb and boring movie. This explains it better than I could:

#162285  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:15 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:I'd proibably like it. I loved the first Wolverine movie; but I think it was mainly because I didn't have never heard of this Deadpool the comic book people whine about, and that Weapon X1 was probably based on that character.
Even without ruining Deadpool, the movie ruined Wolverine himself by having such a dumb and boring movie. This explains it better than I could:

This video doesn't really explain much at all. First, it is not at all a seriours attempt at criticism, considering of it is just a series of 2 second long clips taken completely out of the context of the film; accompanied by some guy attempting humor in his VoiceOve . What it does is demonstrate is how comic book people will say all sorts of shit in order to make their biases appear more justifiable.

If the video was intended to be at all objective, the author would have at least mentioned something about the main plotline; particularity dealing the evolution of the rivalry between Wolverine and Sabertooth.

Obviously Wolverine is not Lord of the Rings, Lawrence of Arabia, Gandhi, Goodfellas, or Schindler's List - but for an action movie starring super heroes, I found it enjoyable.
 #162288  by Shrinweck
 Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:42 pm
Yeah but it wasn't even that great by the standards set by X-Men (2), Spiderman (2), etc. I did find the new Wolverine movie to be better than the first one, though.

Hopefully Wolverine showed them that whatever they were doing with Deadpool was garbage and that's why the Deadpool movie is all but dead. Deadpool should be the funniest comic book movie ever made and sewing his mouth shut is a good example on how not to do that.
 #162290  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:34 am
I honestly don't remember Weapon XI being called Deadpool anywhere in the movie =P

I had never even heard of the character before. I don't think he made it into the animated X-Men show.

I thought Weapon XI was pretty badass though.

Anyway: on Walking Dead - I see Eric's post. I am probably not going to watch this season until the weekend of the season finale. With Breaking Bad I couldn't wait - but for this series I want to do it all in a few days. Only 2.5 weeks to go.
 #162292  by Shrinweck
 Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am
Yeah it's Deadpool. I looked it up and you may have just missed it. Stryker apparently identifies him as Deadpool when he says that's a 'pool' of all the other mutant's powers. Ugh. The film is also apparently 'close to being greenlit' as of last month.

Interesting.. he never had a speaking part in the animated series but he had a few cameo appearances.

I imagine TWD isn't season finale'ing as much as it's just mid-season breaking.
 #162298  by Zeus
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 pm
SineSwiper wrote:

They got one thing wrong: it's Fox's fault, not Marvel's, if they don't like the film. Marvel has absolutely no say over what Fox does with the X-Men license
 #162302  by SineSwiper
 Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 am
Zeus wrote:They got one thing wrong: it's Fox's fault, not Marvel's, if they don't like the film. Marvel has absolutely no say over what Fox does with the X-Men license
It was a bit of a slip, but I think they understood the situation, based on the first and last part of the video. They were more blatant about the Spiderman trailer.
 #162349  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:20 pm
Watching Deep Space 9 now. A few episodes in. So far not really enough to make a call. It was a little more interesting having a deeper background of knowledge with characters like Obrien and such going in this time around.
 #162351  by Shrinweck
 Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:52 pm
I'm up to season three in my DS9 rewatch. It starts picking up properly this season and I suppose it starts getting to be at its best in season four.
 #162355  by Eric
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 am
Julius Seeker wrote:I honestly don't remember Weapon XI being called Deadpool anywhere in the movie =P

I had never even heard of the character before. I don't think he made it into the animated X-Men show.

^_^
 #162494  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:56 pm
Now at the end of season 1 of DS9. There is an episode called Duet that I found really good, it is my favourite one so far by quite a bit. It dealt with a Cardassian posing as a war criminal who ran a concentration camp.