The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Watching

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #162531  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 pm
It seems that Quark and Odo get the most air time.

It's kind of funny that a Canadian department store franchise "Dominion" dominates trade relations beyond the wormhole.
 #162532  by Blotus
 Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:51 pm
I poopsocked all seven seasons of The Shield in about two weeks and goddammit, it's great. I wish it's spiritual successor, Sons of Anarachy, could compare favorably. I would watch Walton Goggins and CCH Pounder in anything.
 #162535  by Shrinweck
 Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 pm
I finished my DS9 re-watch and I think I have fonder memories of the show than it generally warranted, although it's still very high quality. Babylon 5 just blows it out of the water.
 #162549  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:43 pm
The Cardassians are probably my favourite Star Trek race now. My three favourite episodes so far are all centered on them.
 #162551  by Shrinweck
 Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 pm
Yeah the Cardassian stuff just hits close to home. I was giving this some thought during my rewatch and I figured it was because out of all the Star Trek aliens they feel the most realistically human. Their culture isn't so much an exploration of what a race would be like if it was different from ours but instead their culture is basically the same but they've been lead down a much darker path within their own history. Also the casting for Cardassians is just basically all flawless. The actors just kick all kinds of ass. Star Trek Online's next expansion is going to (likely) include a playable Cardassian race with its own storyline and unique ships. I am all over that.
 #162565  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 am
I've been meaning for some time to check out Star Trek online.

I am now into season 3 and the Dominion stuff has started which is when people generally say this is when the quality of the episodes gets better. I've seen a number of episodes from this era before but just could not really enjoy or appreciate them, probably because I didn't catch the storyline from the beginning.

I believe this is the season where Ronald D Moore started to get involved? So it should be interesting to watch this.

When comparing to Voyager and TNG, each of the three series has its bad episodes - but I find DS9's bad episodes to be more boring than cheesy - as is the case with certain Voyager and TNG episodes like Threshold and Sub Rosa - which, while bad, at least didn't put me to sleep like 8 or 9 of the season 1 and 2 DS9 episodes did.

They should have done WAY more episodes involving some sort of exploration of the Gamma quadrant. I don't think doubling or tripling those would mean they would lose their luster. Especially in season 1, I felt like it was a massive opportunity that was ignored. Star Gate did a fairly interesting thing where they started off as largely a random exploration of an unknown universe, developed that universe, and then worked with that already explored universe while developing tech to help them along the way, and then being a major part of the galactic politics, followed by becoming a major power, and finally a major force on the intergalactic level - although I almost have a feeling as though that was unplanned and things just fell into place for that series.
 #162598  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 am
Into season 4 of DS9 now. Considering my expectations, I am fairly surprised to find that this series doesn't rely on story arcs any more than Voyager or Stargate SG-1; and certainly a lot less than Babylon 5, Caprica, or Battlestar Galactica. Not that this is a bad thing; some series take story arcs too far, and the interesting threads get watered down in mediocrity - such as is the case with Caprica.

One thing about DS9 worth noting is that the better episodes are occasionally outside of the main theme - such as The Visitor, one of the most recent episodes I saw. The one with Tony Todd playing adult Jake. Although I think this episode walked a fine line between being great and being kind of dumb, although Tony Todd's acting nailed it as being great.
 #162600  by Shrinweck
 Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:53 pm
Tony Todd is great but I ended up skipping that episode during my rewatch.
 #162601  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:43 pm
ooh-la-la! Jadzia just kissed the Borg Queen.
 #162653  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:45 pm
Jake Sisko is a FAR better character than Wesley, in my opinion. Much more relatable thinking back to my teenaged years. What did it mean being a teenager? Saving the day time and again, having everyone praise you constantly, and being a child prodigy that lived up to everyone's high expectations?

Nope,

Being a teenager was about NOT trying to be what your daddy was, rebellig against expectations; and wanting to be a writer/sports star, spending most of my free time hanging out with friends and getting into trouble, and paying lots of attention to girls. Jake is a much more likeable character just based on the fact that he seems like someone you would want to be friends with as a kid, as opposed to Wesley. Wesley's the type of guy you want to slap in the face.
 #162656  by Shrinweck
 Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:58 pm
Yeah no one likes Wesley. I imagine he was partly just a marketing ploy to attract a younger audience to Star Trek, although the stuff that his presence brought up with Picard and Crusher were always enlightening. They did some interesting stuff with him later at least. Jake represents a much more realistic approach to a young person growing up. Wesley was just an annoying deus ex machina. He just seemed to magically know all these things and had things constantly falling into his lap. Even Wil Wheaton basically acknowledges this.
 #162678  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:39 am
The episode where they took back the station from the Cardassians and Jem Hadar had a really shocking ending, it's one of the very very few moments in a Sci-fi that made me jump a little. Probably because I wasn't really expecting something like this out of a show like DS9. I am refering to Ziyal being shot. I suppose it is mostly the feeling that the characters of Gul Dukat and Garak can't now possibly have a truly happy ending in the series.

I suppose it was also the show itself. This sort of an episode ending would have had no impact in Battlestar Galactica, for example.
 #162734  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:23 am
I've kind of fallen into watching DS9 a lot less frequently now. Doing about 1-2 episodes a week. I enjoyed the series quite a bit up until a certain point, and now I am starting to find it a little repetetive. While I know a lot of fans liked the war angle, I find that the majority of the time it is incredibly weak compared to about every other Sci-Fi series I've seen.

The DS9 crew seems to be the most important and successful part of the war effort. Really? That is just not at all convincing. In fact, it seems a little silly. Everyone in the Alpha quadrant is stupid and inept at managing and conducting warfare except the DS9 crew - and they are extremely effective. These are the same guys who have a lot of trouble managing a single space station.

Last week I started watching Archer and the last season of Futurama.
 #162909  by Shrinweck
 Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:17 pm
House of Cards season two is released on Netflix today and I'm a few episodes in and it's really, really good. If you enjoy quality television then you should really check it out. Also I fully endorse Spacey's accent.
 #162920  by SineSwiper
 Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 am
We're rewatching Farscape. Forgot how good that series is.

Oh, and Archer. Even on a rewatch, the jokes are still hilarious.
 #162929  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:06 pm
Interesting coincidence Sine, those are exactly the two series I'm watching right now.

And Shrin, House of Cards is actually at the top of the list for shows we're considering watching next.
 #163054  by Shrinweck
 Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:54 pm
Review with Forrest MacNeil is a new show that has started on Comedy Central this week starring Andy Daly (as Forrest MacNeil). Daly is super funny and is probably one of the funniest people on earth, on par with Hannibal Burress and Conan O'Brien. The premise of the show is that he's reviewing life so he's reviewing experiences like 'stealing' and 'addiction.'

Hannibal is in its second season and I loved the first one and this doesn't disappoint. You should check it out. Mads Mikkelsen is Hannibal and he is amazing.

Vikings just started season two as well and it's quite good.
 #163286  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm
East of Eden.

I have only seen a couple of episodes now, but it seems really interesting and promising. This is probably the first one I have watched any amount of since Tenchi and Neon Genesis were the big things. It caught my eye on Netflix just as something to have on TV while doing other things, but it surprised me.

The big thing is that it is unique as far as anime goes, it is not an anime about a "ninja" with magic, some repetetive thing about fighting demons/spirits, or about some 10 year old girl - which seem to be the categories of about 95% of the anime on Netflix.

It begins with a young man finding himself naked in front of the white house with a gun and a cell phone, he has no memory of how he got there. He meets a young woman who is on vacation in Washington DC as well. A series of missile attacks have been occurring in Japan around the same time. There is a romantic relationship developing between the man and the woman (obviously).

Lastly, the director/writer - Kenji Kamiyama of the series worked on Akira as a background artist, and later played a much larger role of writer/director in the Ghost in the Shell films.
 #163287  by Shrinweck
 Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 pm
What they did get to create of the anime is quite good, but it doesn't get a satisfactory end. The movie is SO BORING and left so little of an impression that I can't remember if even that put the series to bed... Went on Netflix and there's a second movie that according to the summary ends the story.. I may give the series a second chance.

If you haven't watched anime since Evangelion then in terms of Netflix Instant Watch you should probably follow up on Eden with Samurai Champloo. It isn't a nonsensical story that's about achieving supernatural power and it also isn't a story about a ten year old. It's probably the best anime they have on Instant Watch.
 #163292  by Zeus
 Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm
True Detective and Helix were worth your time. Both ended very well and leaves you interested in where they're going next.

Almost Human certainly was not and Intelligence was iffy at best, probably wouldn't have kept going after 4 or 5 eps on either if I didn't watch it with my wife.

Marvel's Agents of Shield started off boring as heck and kinda lame but picked up. Last couple of eps have tied directly to the movie universe, it'll be interesting where they take it from here.

Most recent seasons of both Sons of Anarchy and Justified were OK, a bit of a step down. It's actually a good thing both shows are gonna end after one more season, might allow them to go out with a bang rather than a wimper.

Boardwalk Empire season 4 was amazing, best one yet. I'm sad it's only got one more season left.

Now just waiting on the start of Defiance.....
 #163310  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 am
I finished the series, East of Eden. I enjoyed it all the way through. The movies afterward aren't really necessary to the TV series, but they do answer the remaining lingering questions. I did really like the style.

I'll check out Samurai Champloo sometime this Spring too, I remember hearing good things about it in the past. I like how it wraps in 26 episodes. It seems a lot of anime go up into the hundreds, and I probably won't watch any of those due to the inevitable huge amounts of filler.

There are some movies I am going to rewatch as well: Akira I have watched more recently, but I would definitely like to give the original translation another watch. Ghost in the Shell I haven't seen since I was a teenager, and I haven't seen the sequels. Grave of Fireflies I haven't seen since I was a kid.

I am also wondering about some older anime series which I loved as a kid, but which I found out were actually heavily cut for North American release to make them friendly to a child audience, particularly Star Blazers and Astro Boy. I want to watch the uncut versions with English dubs though, and I don't even know if they exist - I know they can be found with subtitles, but I find subs too distracting for shows like these.
 #163333  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:39 pm
I started watching The 100 - a Sci-Fi which takes place with on space stations where and on a post-apocalyptic earth. Most of civilization is in space and that society is a bit like Logan's Run, the earth colony is a bit of a Lord of the Flies type situation where a bunch of kids have been sent down to test if people can actually survive on Earth:

Terrible script
Dumb plot points
Bad acting

I can't stop watching it =P
 #163361  by Shrinweck
 Thu May 08, 2014 6:09 pm
Vikings finished up season two last week. It was fairly solid. The biggest issue with liking the season is probably that Ragnar is not the likable protagonist that he was in the first season. The writing, however, is still strong and the finale was basically exactly what you'd want to see from a show about Vikings. It's hard disconnecting modern views of morality with what Ragnar is doing at times, but even giving over to that concession he was a bit of a douche for something like half of the season. But I guess if Viking leadership was perfect, they'd have carved out an empire for themselves.

Continuum is still really good. This season has more of a focus on time travel oddities and less with the protagonist reacting to crimes being perpetrated by the terrorists that took her back in time with them than last season. It'll be interesting to see how this show eventually ends since there are so many motivations for all the characters at this point that there can't be a happily ever after ending without a lot of crazy shit happening first.

John Oliver's new show is pretty great. It's nothing new but since it's on HBO it gets to do a lot of things that The Daily Show and the Colbert Report can't really get away with. He did a fairly long (for a comedy show) segment on capital punishment in the second episode and I'm hoping that he sticks to stuff like that as much as he can. Being just another show making fun of the news isn't all that interesting, but bringing in interesting views to big subjects is something Colbert and Stewart only do on rare occasions. I'm sure a lot of this is because the burden on the writers to make four episodes a week packed with interesting, poignant content is just unrealistic, but my hope is that Oliver will continue talking about things that matter since his format is one thirty minute episode a week.
 #163385  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 13, 2014 6:58 am
I've been watching the Simpsons a lot lately.

I've always been a fairly big fan of the series, but this year I am watching all seasons. I am currently in early season 8; the last season of the 5 seasons that make up so-called Simpsons golden age. Although I was personally a fairly big fan of the early 3 seasons too.

Season 1-3 have a large focus on more family type things, but the characters really finished evolving into how we know them today around season 4. My favourite episode was Last Exit to Springfield - which is the one where the plant goes on strike. "Rosebud" was my favourite from season 5, the one with Bobo, and maybe my favourite overall. Season 6 was a hard one, no episode really stood above the rest, when I was a kid it was Bart vs. Australia.

Season 6 might be arguably the best season of the series, with lots and lots of really strong episode like Homer the Great - the one with the Stonecutters, Lemon of Troy - invasion of Shelbyville, Tree House of Horrors 5 - the one with the Shining, and Bart's Girlfriend - evil Jessica Lovejoy elisode; but it didn't have an episode I felt I liked as much as Rosebud or Last Exit - Who Shot Mr. Burns, the season 6/7 cliffhanger was probably the biggest episode of the series though; so while the highest peaks of season 6 weren't as high as season 4 or 5, it was overall a taller mountain range than any season so far.

Season 7 was weaker overall, but had some classics like Homerpalooza, 22 Short films about Springfield - which was the Pulp Fiction parody - and a few others. Season 8 is the first of several seasons where the season premiere was Treehouse of Horrors. Season 8 I remember being a very strong season overall, not quite 6, but definitely ahead of 7.
 #163400  by Shrinweck
 Thu May 15, 2014 11:38 pm
Rectify is now on Netflix Instant Watch and if you don't mind agonizingly slow drama then this is one of the best things airing right now. In Georgia a man is released for committing a brutal crime (that he may or may not still have done) based on the DNA evidence against him not matching. The series focuses more on his grueling reintroduction into society after almost twenty years on death row. Season two starts in a month or so which I'm real excited for.

The acting in the series is amazing. But you have be ready for a show about human interaction rather than plot reveals. Note that this doesn't mean this is in any way a soap opera-type cop out, as much as it's just an insight into evil, redemption, the weight of guilt, and love.
 #163440  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 21, 2014 6:02 am
Around the end of season 8, there was a drastic change in Homer's character - he went from goofy and slow, to Peter Griffin stupid. The first real episode of this was Homer's Enemy, the episode featuring Frank Grimes. This sort of humour is definitely cheaper than previous pokes at Homer's intelligence, and unfortunately ended up being a permanent change to Homer's character.
 #163458  by Anarky
 Fri May 23, 2014 3:05 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Around the end of season 8, there was a drastic change in Homer's character - he went from goofy and slow, to Peter Griffin stupid. The first real episode of this was Homer's Enemy, the episode featuring Frank Grimes. This sort of humour is definitely cheaper than previous pokes at Homer's intelligence, and unfortunately ended up being a permanent change to Homer's character.
Say what you will about him being dumbed down, but that is one of my favorite episodes.

Grimey!

I actually started up Season 2 the other day. I will probably go up to season 13 at the most.
 #163459  by Eric
 Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 pm
Homer's Enemy is one of the best episodes of the Simpson's
 #163460  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 24, 2014 8:51 am
I think the Grimey episode would be more of a treat if Homer didn't remain that unrealistically stupid in so many episodes after. There are still a few good classic episodes in season 9, but overall it's a massive slide in quality from season 8. The border where the sudden quality drop occurred is a lot more drastic and apparent than I recall it being as a teenager.

I don't mean to bash on everything done by the Simpsons, that wouldn't be particularly accurate. Examined on an episode by episode basis, even in recent seasons, I still find there are some very good episodes to be found.

The Simpsons usually has multiple storylines going at once through the episode; i.e. one might be focused on Homer, and the other on Bart/Lisa/Milhouse. One thing I have found is that some more recent episodes have one very interesting plot line, while the other one feels like filler - so overall the episode won't be getting any massive acclaim even when 10-15 minutes of it is classic quality.
 #163489  by Julius Seeker
 Fri May 30, 2014 6:28 pm
Watching Fresh Prince now too. Like the Simpsons, it's a show that researching now gives a whole different perspective, and most of the episodes are really good! I'm into early season 2. I have been watching it alongside the Simpsons.

Now I just have to throw in a Seinfeld DVD at 7:30's and I have my teenaged Mon-Thu TV schedule back.
 #163491  by Anarky
 Fri May 30, 2014 7:54 pm
For me it was Simpsons and then Star Trek: TNG on Mon-Thur starting at 6
 #163495  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 31, 2014 5:21 pm
I should have watched Star Trek TNG more back then. I didn't really get into it until recently, aside from some of the movies. My TV schedule broke down like this:

5:00 - Fresh Prince
5:30 - Simpsons
7:30 - Seinfeld

Kind of funny how the next generation will probably not have this. It's been about a decade since I sat and watched scheduled TV.
 #163525  by Anarky
 Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm
Orange is the New Black season 2..... and it's gone!

Good season, but I may have liked the first season better. Some characters finally got their backstories in and there were some shockers.
 #163579  by Don
 Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:38 pm
I'm watching this Korean drama called The Faith (Great Doctor), it's about this Korean guy time traveled to the present and stole a riot shield before going back to his time at around the Yuan Dynasty (Mongols), and he thought the riot shield was some kind of divine artifact and now he can shoot lightning bolts at people from his riot shield. Of course it turned out during the Yuan Dynasty there are all these random guys who can throw fireballs and stuff but since the Korean guy has the riot shield he's owning all these crazy guys up. It makes no sense whatsoever but it's really hilarious to see this guy with a riot shield beating down your typical Chinese supernatural martial arts stuff.
 #163629  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 am
Anarky wrote:Orange is the New Black season 2..... and it's gone!

Good season, but I may have liked the first season better. Some characters finally got their backstories in and there were some shockers.
I just watched the first season. I refused to watch this show for a while because I have no interest in the idea of a prison drama, too confining... But then I saw the main character cast, and was immediately interested.
1. Kate Mulgrew, Captain Janeway, as Russian woman with ties to the mafia who seems to have a thing for running prison conspiracies.
2. Natasha Lyonne from But I'm a Cheerleader and American Pie... Playing a lesbian again.
3. Jason Biggs, the pie fucker, plays the main character on the outside of the prison, and the romantic interest of the main character on the inside of the prison.
4. Laura Prepon, Donna from that 70's show, plays a former love interest of the main character - and the reason why the main character is in prison.

The show was very different from what I thought it was going to be. I do somewhat feel more than a slight American Pie vibe from it, probably because of the casting, and that some of the other actors remind me of American Pie characters. Mendez reminds me of an corrupt Stiffler meets even more corrupt anchorman, the younger guard reminds me of Thomas Ian Nicholas (Kevin), and the young female security guard reminds me of Michelle. The shift between comedy and drama is more along the lines of Chasing Amy to me, though. I'll probably change my mind on this as I watch a little further; as there's not really any other show/movie, that I can think of, that it can be directly compared to.

I love all of the conflict in the story - and I am not talking person A vs. person B conflict - I am talking about things such as the inner conflict that Piper has about not knowing who she really is, is she actually some adventurous whimsical girl living a dangerous life? Or is she a down to earth progressing on a productive life type girl? Also, what should she be? What would benefit her most in the current situation? Etc... It is thick with conflict, and in a really great way.
 #163660  by Don
 Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:08 pm
There's yet another new Jin Yong adapation called New Demigods and Semi Devils on Chinese TV, based on Demigods and Semi Devils. Jin Yong's books are solid martial arts fiction and although this one isn't particularly that good, it is like THE little sister harem book before the genre even existed in Japanese manga. This story features multiple main characters and while any 'new' prefix in Chinese means it wouldn't resemble the original in any meaningful way, this manages to keep the major theme going. One of the guy is a lousy martial artist and his goal is just to pick up girls, and every girl he picked up in the end turns out to be his sister because his father was rather popular with every beautiful woman in the world, so there's this ongoing cycle where he tries to win a girl's heart, finally succeeds, and then introduces his new girlfriend to his dad only to be told the bad news. There's also a rather hilarious plot twist because this was originally on serial on newspaper but the author went on vacation, so he got someone else to write some generic fighting scenes while he's gone and when he came back it's like 'oh yeah you know little sister #4? She died and was buried (so no fall off a cliff) while you're gone" which led to a rather sudden change in all the relationships. If you can find any adapation of this work, it's pretty funny to watch the little sister harem side story. Of course there's also a main story about a guy who fights his way against evil and whatnot, but who cares about that?
 #163677  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 am
Just finished the first season of How I Met Your Mother. So far it seems like a re-imagining of Friends, except I like it better. The characters are much easier to relate to.
 #163685  by Anarky
 Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:21 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Just finished the first season of How I Met Your Mother. So far it seems like a re-imagining of Friends, except I like it better. The characters are much easier to relate to.
... do yourself a favor and stop around season 3. I had to suffer through years of terrible episodes because my wife is a completionist with shows.
 #163719  by Shrinweck
 Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:48 am
Every few months I catch up on a shit ton of movies in a couple weeks and thought I'd give you my quick opinions because you guys obviously care:

The Lunchbox: Objectively the best movie out of the bunch. At it's heart it's a love story about people who haven't met and communicate through notes by a lunch delivery service. Behind the action, the movie is actually about loneliness and being only as old as you feel.

Filth: Overall quite an entertaining movie that I've been putting off watching for months. Always liked James McAvoy as an actor and this really cemented it. One of the most obscene films I've ever seen.

Amazing Spider-man 2: My opinion on the first one differed from most of yours, apparently, but whatever your opinion on the first, this one is worse. I found this worse than the original Spider-man trilogy's third movie. No, there's no emo dancing scene, but that just makes it that much more forgettable. He spends most of the movie sad about stupid, cliche shit and the parts of the movie where he isn't sad, I don't think the character resembles Peter Parker in any way. I would say the best part of this movie is when they filmed Emma Stone below the chin and apparently even someone as beautiful as her looks unflattering from that angle. An uplifting idea.

Under the Skin: I won't give away anything since this is the kind of movie where that would ruin things, but the promise of Scarlett Johansson consistently naked is probably one of the greatest cinematic tricks to get chauvinistic males to watch a movie they really need to watch in history. Said men probably won't get why, though. Pacing and repetition hurt the watchability of this film, though. Probably fast forwarded 5-8 minutes worth of pointless scenery and walking around.

Starred Up: A UK prison movie that I liked a whole lot featuring what will probably be the best acting performance from someone under 30 this year. Watch this if you like your brutal prison violence movies with a healthy dallop of unconventional (non-cliche) compassion.

The Signal: Perhaps because I've watched the Stargate television series too many times, but I guessed the sci-fi twist of this movie almost immediately. While on a step-by-step basis this movie was good, the eventual end is utterly meaningless, so I have to assume this movie was meant to be entertaining because of said twist and the triumph of human will? In any case, the ending made this movie disappointing at best. Good acting and good special effects, though. Watching this movie with the knowledge of the twist before it happened did not make it any better, which makes it even more of a waste.

Captain America 2: Ten years ago if you told me I'd like a Captain America sequel much more than Spider-man sequel I'd have laughed in your face. We live in that reality. Chris Evans is the shit. Everyone on tOWS should watch him in Snowpiercer which is another comic book movie that he stars in.
 #163730  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 am
I'm towards the end of season 4 now. I wouldn't say I am getting tired of it.

Perhaps the experience is a little different when you're watching 1-5 new episodes per day instead of 1 new episode every 1-2 weeks. There have been some really great ones lately, like the Naked Man, which I am glad I didn't skip. Each episode still seems to capture a uniqueness about them. Although it is true that the characters and situation are becoming less relateable than they were in the earlier seasons.
 #163731  by Anarky
 Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:51 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:I'm towards the end of season 4 now. I wouldn't say I am getting tired of it.

Perhaps the experience is a little different when you're watching 1-5 new episodes per day instead of 1 new episode every 1-2 weeks. There have been some really great ones lately, like the Naked Man, which I am glad I didn't skip. Each episode still seems to capture a uniqueness about them. Although it is true that the characters and situation are becoming less relateable than they were in the earlier seasons.
Ted Mosby is not a relatable character, and it got worse with time.
 #163744  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:42 pm
The last episode about Robin Sparkles confirms that she is a parody of Pre-Jagged Little Pill Alanis Morrisette. Prior to One Hand in My Pocket and You Outta Know, Alanis was a popular teen celebrity in Canada, beginning her career on a TV show before moving on to do out of date mid-80's style music; yes, even out of date in Canada, in 1990 let alone 1993.

1. Lets Go to the Mall is a parody of Alanis's 1990 self titled album, with Walk Away and Too Hot. While the style of music was considered to be years out of date, everyone's sister seemed to still have this album. Matt Lablanc from Friends appears in Walk Away as Alanis's love interest.
2. Her second song is based off of the music on Now is the Time, her second album, where she went a more ballady direction - and tried to emulate Mariah Carey, while the album wasn't as big as her first album, the singles still had a lot of play on Much Music (Canadian MTV).
3. Finally, they explore the origin of Robin Sparkles, which involves a TV show (Space Teens) that's a parody of You Can't do that on Television, an extremely popular 1980's Canadian kids show Alanis was in. Marshall even name drops the show by saying "you can't do that on television!" in response to the inuendo on Space Teens.
 #163937  by Don
 Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:17 pm
Demigods and Semi-Devils is about 80% of the way over, but this adapatation decided it the Nameless Janitor should have a name after all. I mean, what the heck? The whole point is that he has no name because he's probably some kind of god and even though there are like 5 Goku-like strong guys threatening to destroy the world he really doesn't care unless they spilled trash on the floor while it was his shift. It's like Serial Experiment Lain where one of the MIB like guys going "We have no name" and 3 seconds later it's like "Watch out Karl!" They tried to make the Nameless Janitor seem even stronger because compared to the original he didn't take damage in the TV from a Dragonslayer Palm but the point was that Dragonslayer can hurt even a god and that was supposed to show that you need some kind of Godbane level of power to hurt him and he has to be distracted.

On the same Korean drama I'm watching now the guy dating the super rich girl (who he doesn't know about) is going to sell spicy chicken nuggets and he finally got a contract probably from the girl's help, but then this evil big corporation is going to reverse engineer his spicy chicken nuggets and then patent it and then send their lawyers in. While they're at it this evil corporation should try to patent 'cheeseburger' too. Recipes of ordinary food can't be patented and the best you can do is a trade secret, but it doesn't matter because then it'd just be the guy selling spicy chicken nuggets figured out the recipe even if everyone believes evil corporation came up with spicy chicken nuggets first. If someone can figure out how to make the Coca Cola formula then Coca Cola would be pretty screwed. They can sue you if you sneak into their secret vault where the formula is hidden but if you just figured it out with legitmate methods there's nothing they can do about it. This is probably why you shouldn't base your knowledge of law/copyright/etc based on TV or what you heard on the Internet.
 #164014  by Shrinweck
 Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:06 pm
The Knick has had a very excellent first season so far. It's like House MD but in the early 20th century and much more focused on the discovery of 'modern' medical practices. Cliff Martinez does the soundtrack and the subtle electronic music fits surprisingly well with the show.
 #164037  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:20 pm
The 100 is starting up again soon. Terrible show, but Incan't stop watching it. It does has an awesome premise.
 #164038  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:50 pm
Yeah every time I think about watching that show I look at the posts in my bittorrent forum after the synopsis which are 95% hate and realize I don't actually want to get trapped :D
 #164040  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:45 am
I say embrace it! It's one of those shows that's bad enough to be entertaining, as well as having the interest in premise.
 #164065  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:49 pm
I'm a new fan of Last Week Tonight on HBO

#164066  by Shrinweck
 Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:18 pm
Every week they take off of producing that show is a tragedy. It kinda sucked that the show kind of put his podcast on the back burner for a while, but it's back now.