The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Watching

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #156871  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am
The Newsroom on HBO. NUFF SAID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI7Oq8y-jXA
 #156901  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:35 am
Geeze.. I couldn't get through half of the second episode with McKay in it before halting my SG-1 re-watch for Atlantis. New seasons of Wilfred (US) and Louie start today and I'm definitely on top of these. Wilfred gets my injection of dark but silly humor and Louie is just... You should all be watching Louie.
 #157195  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:25 pm
Tabula Rasa - everyone catches a disease and forgets. LOTS of Memento references; very entertaining. Mostly a McKay episode.
 #157277  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:22 am
Finished Season 4 of Atlantis. Overall, I was a little disappointed about Carter's involvement in the season - not because she was there, but because her role was so minimal when compared to season 1-3 Dr. Weir. While there were many episodes where Dr. Weir was one of the characters at the center of the show, there was only a single episode out of the entire season where Carter was a central character; she was in about 5 minutes of all of the other episodes. Woolsley in season 5, the final season seems like it could be very interesting, particularly considering I am a huge fan of Picardo. Overall though, I found season 4 to be fairly fantastic. The inclusion of Todd was very interesting, and Michael is a somewhat interesting take on the completely genocidal villain - looks like he took some make-up tips from the Ori Priors. Probably to make up for the other half of Dr. Weir was another character, Dr. Keller, she was the "out of place" character - and brought a lot to the episodes she played major roles in. Also, the Teal'c vs. Ronon fight was awesome; hard bet, I don't know who I'd have my money on.
 #157283  by Shrinweck
 Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:55 am
Season five has some genius McKay moments and Shanks has a fun cameo in one of the episodes. Picardo was perhaps a better choice than Tapping for leader of the expedition, not that I would ever begrudge having more Tapping in my dosage of Stargate.

Todd is probably the best recurring guest in all of Stargate in terms of writing.

The fan in me wants to say Teal'c would win an organized, fair fight and Ronan would win otherwise... although all that time with O'Neill probably taught Teal'c a lot about not fighting fair. Hard to say. I lean towards Teal'c.

I recently made my way through Stargate Universe for the first time since it aired and I liked it more this time around than last. Still unfortunate that it ends unfinished and the future of Stargate is still up in the air and anything more would probably barely involve any of the prior cast. It's a somewhat flawed show in it's second season. It's hard to argue with why they cancelled it.
 #157285  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:22 pm
Actually; I don't think it would be that difficult to bring back some old cast members. Michael Shanks might be the only main cast member from SG-1 and Atlantis that is out of the question; assuming the show continues to defy low expectations of critics in terms of viewership ratings.

The other actors all look to have a clear schedule except for Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, and Jason Momoa; and the three of them are still in no major roles.
 #157286  by Shrinweck
 Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:27 pm
I was thinking more of how long it's going to take and how the story needs to continue with new characters. David Hewlett apparently owns a bunch of the SG Universe sets which is kind of cool.

I think we're in for a Star Trek-calibre wait on any future TV series incarnations. Writers and producers have moved on and we have to wait for an intelligent executive with good taste at the studio to get off their ass and attempt a relaunch of the series.

I do like how basically every actor that one would like to see reprise their role in Stargate is basically 100% willing to at least do a guest appearance.
 #157386  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:56 pm
So Netflix has been getting rid/losing licenses to stream series after series that I enjoy to the point where for the first time since I subscribed I am considering cancelling my membership. Amazon has been beefing up their streaming licenses for Prime users and has basically every series that Netflix has lost the rights to. On top of this, I'm already a Prime member and I get it for 50% off. So, yeah, if I don't see something that's only on Netflix that I want to watch soon I guess I'm unsubscribing.

It's too bad. Prime uses Adobe Flash which is definitely a step or three down in quality from what Netflix was putting out with Silverlight. Not sure if this is a software thing or an Amazon oversight. I really liked supporting a big hub of high quality streaming that was Netflix but, eh, it's certainly been stagnant at best lately. Compounding this Netflix has instituted some kind of auto-play 'feature' that cannot be disabled which makes it impossible for me to go to sleep while watching stuff on Instant Watch since it will continue playing through every episode throughout the night, eating up bandwidth while I sleep.
 #157389  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm
Oh wow, is all I have to say about the Atlantis series finale. This should have been a movie. Somewhat of a rip off of Return of the Jedi =P
 #157390  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:00 pm
Huh that never occurred to me. That's a pretty neat observation.
 #157424  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am
Doctor Who's Matt Smith is so far the best doctor we've ever had. Thank god they kicked out Russell Davis and gave the reins to Steven Moffat. (Oddly enough, I really like Davis' Torchwood, so I'm not sure why he screws up Who so much.) The interaction between The Doctor, Amy, Rory, and River has been great. Moffat's writing really showcases the darker side of the Doctor and touches on the things you knew from the back of your mind, but brushed away as a minor plot device. Moffat really brings out the guilt of putting the Doctor's companions in danger with his "joy rides". Season 6 is about the most enjoyable spot of TV I've seen in a while.

All of the seasons are available on Amazon Prime (and possibly Netflix), so be sure to check it out. Season 7 comes out this Sept on BBC.

Game of Thrones is great. Season finale of True Blood is this Sunday, which has been a pretty good season so far. Mostly done with Naruto S, at episode 255 or so.

EDIT: Shrinweck, to answer your question, Microsoft aborted Silverlight soon after it came to light. It's like there was a big push for it, and then MS just cut their losses immediately.
 #157451  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 am
I got a set with the first five seasons of Babylon 5; I'll probably start watching that one next alongside News Radio.
 #157499  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 am
Primal Fear, watched it last night. I won't say much about the movie except that it stars Edward Norton, Richard Gere, and Laura Linney; and that it plays out A LOT like a Phoenix Wright scenario.

The performances of each of the three starring actors were all fairly fantastic. From what I have seen of Linney and Norton, both of them always do a fantastic job; but Richard Gere seemed much better than I recall him being (I haven't actually seen a movie with Gere in it for about 10 years, so I am not immediately familiar with much of his work).
 #157596  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:59 am
Season 4 Season finale of Newsradio - They did a "What if the cast was on Titanic" episode. It was kind of freaky how in the closing scene of the episode, they were out of character (speaking as Phil Hartman rather than as Bill McNeil), and after discussing how they were all safe Hartman jokes "only one of us really died" (referring to Dave Foley who wasn't present).

This also happened to be Phil Hartman's final line on the show since it was the season finale and his murder occurred shortly after.
 #157610  by Shrinweck
 Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:11 pm
Foley explained that the end of each season was crazy like that because they never knew if they were getting picked back up and it was basically a "Fuck you" to the network. He has a great story where the entire cast attended that year's Emmy's and when Hartman lost they decided to leave early. Foley was being interviewed outside and decided on saying something like "I'm not sure what else the guy can do to win one of these..."
 #157674  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm
It was a great show - I felt season 2 and 3 were the strongest with the other seasons still all very good.

Although probably the very best episodes are in the weaker seasons (like Beep Beep! In season 4).

Anyway, I am starting on Babylon 5 tonight with the Pilot entitled "The Gathering".
 #157745  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 am
After watching a bit of this podcast, not necessarily the language, but it doesn't even seem Joe Rogan and Andy Dick stretched far to act on News Radio =P

By the way, I'm a few episodes into Babylon 5 now, and liking it - it has kind of a 1077-1985 feel to it, mostly due to the costume/art direction.
 #157800  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:35 pm
So I am about 10 episodes into Babylon 5 now. It starts off very slow (it has sort of an early 80's feel to it), but this series does really suck you in by the point I'm at now.
 #157876  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:So I am about 10 episodes into Babylon 5 now. It starts off very slow (it has sort of an early 80's feel to it), but this series does really suck you in by the point I'm at now.
Because MJZ already knows the what the hell is going on before he writes the first episode. You know, planned writing. Not this "paint this shit into a corner" bullshit that modern TV has turned into.

Dialogue? Well, not so much. Sometimes I wished he had some better writers for that, but given that the future of the series was on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis, he was lucky to actually have a proper ending. (Unlike, say, Farscape.)
 #157935  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 pm
On Season 2 disk 3; and holy crap! The series gets nuts at this point.

I also had no idea how much Star Trek ripped this series (Babylon 5) off. Even the Narada design from the latest movie.

I agree, the guy who wrote this series really knew what he was doing. He has successfully managed a series that both has an arc and has each episode remain meaningful on its own merits rather than just as part of the overall story - which was an issue that Battlestar Galactica had in its later seasons especially.
 #157940  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:46 am
BSG Stuff:
Spoiler: show
The biggest indicator that BSG didn't know what the fuck they were doing was when the main writer was talking about how they were figuring out who was going to be the Final Five when they were writing that season finale. THEY DIDN'T FUCKING KNOW UNTIL THEY WROTE THE EPISODE! Critical details like that need to be known well before you commit to any dealings with those characters. Otherwise, you end up with the way BSG ended: a disappointment.
Yeah, DS9 ripped off of Babylon 5's story arc progression, but I watched both, anyway. DS9 still remains to be my favorite Star Trek series. TNG, while good and well written, was too clean cut for my tastes. (Blame Gene on that, I guess.) Voyager was a three hour tour. A three hour tour. And Enterprise was horrible in every aspect. (Blame Rick on that.)

Also, don't forget to watch Crusade when you finish B5. Yes, it's a short-lived and cancelled series, but like Firefly, you realize that it's a badass series that got cut short.
 #157941  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:33 am
I couldn't get into Firefly, just not at all my type of show or the types of characters I can get behind. For a series that lasted just one series, I found Caprica to be much more my thing; that one I was very sad to see go - but also not very surprised given how it was a story arc-series in its conception, and they didn't really get to the point.

Deep Space 9, ironically (considering I am absolutely loving Babylon 5), is the one Star Trek I have an enormous amount of trouble getting into. I like the characters (Garak, the Cardassian, in particular), but I don't really have an interest in what they're doing on the station.

Next Generation - I have completed the first half of this series, and I really enjoy it; but Star Trek, I tend to get these as seasons during Christmas and my birthday because I just don't feel like going out and spending $60 on a single season of a TV franchise that is abundant in seasons - particularly when Babylon 5 came with all 5 seasons for around $40; 2/3rds the price of just one Star Trek season (Even Stargate Atlantis, the full 5 season series on Blu Ray, cost less -$95- than 2 seasons of Star Trek on DVD). So I will finish this series eventually, just probably not for at least another year or so.

Enterprise, I know you say it's bad, but I have heard that it is fairly good; so I am at least going to give it a try at some point in the future. Plus I want to collect all of Star Trek one day; even Deep Space 9.

Battlestar Galactica, I loooved the series up until the Pegasus episode in the second season; that was the first episode where I was thinking "What is really the point of this other than to make me feel like turning the TV off?" - there was still quite a bit I liked after, but mostly from about season 3 onward I watched just as something to do. It seemed like the series would have had a very satisfying ending at the end of season 2; but instead they expanded it out, pushing that ending to the end of a 5th season.

I also want to try Stargate Universe, I have heard mostly negative things about it though =P
 #157942  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 am
IMO, BSG was still awesome throughout most of the series, despite their fly-by-wire writing. Baltar is still one of my favorite characters, in all of his forms. Also, I think the Cylon navigators were one of the most inventive characters, and were fun to watch. (Jump.)

DS9 is good, and character development is one of their stronger points. Though, you can tell that they were initially going to just go with the same TNG episodic style, until they saw B5. MJZ practically invented story arc progression. I don't think I can recall a series before it that really dived into that mode. Nowadays, it's the norm, but Babylon 5 direction was the first and still the best way to write this stuff.

The only other series that I know of that really followed that model was Farscape. The writers knew their secrets prior to revealing them. But, it also showcases the pitfalls of proper planning: faith that the producer isn't gong to cut funding. The entire-season-condensed-into-four-hours movie showed all of the cool stuff they were going to do, and at least they got to show THE secret they had been holding through (which really put an exclamation point to a fantastic series), but I really wished they were able to produce that last season, like MJZ was able to do. (And then TNT fucked HIM over with Crusade.)

Firefly, Farscape, Babylon 5. Sci-Fi doesn't get any goddamn respect, and I fucking hate that.
 #157952  by Zeus
 Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 pm
BSG Stuff:
Why did you need them to hint at who the Final Five were (lots of "could it be...." moments but no real hint at the actual Five)? The way they handled it was great even if they were in a holding pattern on Season 3 from the beginning as they were trying to figured out when the show would end (there was lots of talk it may not get past the first 10 eps of Season 3). The problem with Season 3 was from ep 8 or 9 to about 16 or 17 when it was clear filler because of what was going on. The reveal and ultimate storyline linked to the Final Five was perfectly fine. This isn't Lost-dicking-around-for-3-seasons-without-a-clue issues, they just were figuring out that one thing one the fly.
 #157964  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 am
Zeus wrote:BSG Stuff
It has nothing to do with "hinting at". It has to do with foreknowledge that the authors should already have. How can you plan a series like that when you don't even know who the main characters are going to be? That kind of poor planning was obvious when they showed the last episode. They didn't know how to end it because they didn't know the ending in advance.

I thought Lost was decently planned. They appeared to plan things season-by-season. Granted, the entire plot should have been known by the writers by day one. You don't write a show about an island secret and have the writers not know what the secret was.
 #157966  by Zeus
 Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 am
SineSwiper wrote:It has nothing to do with "hinting at". It has to do with foreknowledge that the authors should already have. How can you plan a series like that when you don't even know who the main characters are going to be? That kind of poor planning was obvious when they showed the last episode. They didn't know how to end it because they didn't know the ending in advance.

I thought Lost was decently planned. They appeared to plan things season-by-season. Granted, the entire plot should have been known by the writers by day one. You don't write a show about an island secret and have the writers not know what the secret was.
You know who the main characters were all along. You just didn't know who the Final Five were, the ones that were gonna get some extra play in the last season. You had already established a good what, 20-25 characters that you could choose from? And it's not like the ones they chose were poorly done. I kinda liked the fact that Adama, Roslin, and Baltar, all of whom woulda been easy and logical choices, weren't chosen. And how those characters were used in the last season was good, it actually gave new life to a few of them that had become pretty damned stale.

This wasn't the jumbled mess that Lost was where they had no plan at all as to where the storyline was going until after Season 3 (this is based off of an interview with one of the writers, not my opinion). They just simply hadn't chosen the Final Five...and it didn't matter because who they were wasn't as important as what they did after the reveal. And that's the most important thing here (what > who). Yes, Season 3 coulda be done better, but that was more due to the uncertainty of the show continuing on than anything else.

BSG was very strong after the reveal, it wasn't like they were sitting there trying to figure out what to do with the storyline.
 #157981  by Shrinweck
 Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 pm
You may want to spoiler the massive BSG spoilers in that post
 #157983  by SineSwiper
 Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 pm
Shrinweck wrote:You may want to spoiler the massive BSG spoilers in that post
Wait, what? There's people who haven't seen BSG yet?
 #157985  by Shrinweck
 Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 pm
I don't know if there's anyone left on here who hasn't but it's best to be safe since there was stuff in the post that basically ruins the entire series for anyone who hasn't. To throw my hat in the ring, adding general hate to the Lost bandwagon. They ended the show like they promised they wouldn't and managed to ruin me on any future re-watching which I was up for (1-2 times a year) up until I saw the finale. Now I never want to see another second of the show again.

I'm not big on BSGs ending, and it kind of soured me on the series in general, but it didn't manage to ruin the ride to the finish by invalidating everything I liked about the show. Which was a tricky maneuver considering the subjects the show tackled. I think they did as good a job as they possibly could in this scenario. Now Caprica... that was just a mistake. It's like some writer decided to take everything likeable out of BSG and dramatize it.

I missed your line about wanting to watch Stargate Universe, Seek, and I think you should watch it. There's really no reason to dislike it besides the fact that it wasn't given a proper ending. The acting is strong and the characters end up all being likeable even though in the beginning the majority of them seem like duds. It probably has the best music in the series which should count for something. The orchestral music. The unoriginal stuff thrown in is hit and miss. It's just too bad the series is probably going to be dead for a Star Trek-ish amount of time since both franchises are kind of dead in the water (TV-wise).
 #157987  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 am
I liked Caprica for the most part - it gave a very good look into what civilian life was like surrounding characters who would ultimately make a difference. Although I think that it suffered by using the carrot method of story telling; by carrot method I mean showing carrots to keep the going, but not actually giving them the carrot until later - and Battlestar Galactica did this too in its later seasons. Babylon 5 is a great story arc series which doesn't ever seem to fall back on this poor method of story telling; in B5, when something potentially interesting comes up, it's delt with in the episode it was introduced in - or the next; and not 10 to 50 episodes later like some kind of soap opera.

Battlestar Galactica's ending was one I liked as well, but I feel it would have actually fit better adapted into a movie following season 2, rather than having it pop in 3 seasons later. The ending made a great deal less sense at the end of season 5. In addition:
Making Hera as Mitichondrial Eve was kind of dumb; all it is establishing is that mitochondrial eve had human and Cylon DNA for absolutely no important reason in light of how the story ended. Rather, it would have been more interesting if they landed at the dawn of the Neolithic revolution and became the beginnings of civilization. It would have been an interesting take on Graham Hancock's view of the world 10,000 years ago.
 #158024  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 pm
Showtime is blowing it out of the water with shows (Dexter, Homeland) with episodes where things are actually happening.

Excited that The Walking Dead, The League, Always Sunny, and Community are all starting up in the next eleven days. Good week and a half for television.

Also I've been watching Everybody Loves Raymond as my "on while I'm doing other things" show for the past few weeks and it's actually quite good for what it is.
 #158032  by Zeus
 Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 am
I'm not quite as excited about Walking Dead. I'm more hoping they recover from a pretty lackluster Season 2 than highly anticipating what's comin' up next.

But I do like Boardwalk Empire. It doesn't move at a quick pace or have a lot of "wow" moments, but it's always very interesting. I'm not overly happy with Mrs. Thompson's role this year or how they jumped ahead a year-and-a-half and avoided the whole land thing
 #158053  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 am
I must say, because I haven't said it earlier - after seeing Alfred Bester, I will never be able to look at Checkov the same way again when watching TOS films =P
 #158074  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:56 am
I think the real brilliance of Babylon 5 is that it manages to go through all of those episodes (I am through about 75 of them now - Season 4, disc 3), and the story arc is maintained with every episode retaining individuality by being about something interesting.

I find that most other shows that run with story arcs tend to make a lot of episodes which aren't about anything except the main story arc, and otherwise lack individuality and importance. All episodes of Babylon 5 are good episodes on their own, and each one fits as a piece into the greater storyline. I really enjoyed Voyager and Farscape for similar reasons - but both of those series didn't have the same level of integration between the overall arcs and the individual episodes.

Caprica, on the other hand, had few episodes that had their own true individuality - and I think that was the major failure of that series. It was like watching one long episode, but you could only watch part of it every 1-2 weeks, and they put something like a 4-5 month gap in the middle of it which really messed up season 1.
 #158075  by SineSwiper
 Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 am
Where are you watching the series? My dad still has the box set on his wishlist, but it's something like $250.
 #158079  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm
http://www.babylonpodcast.com/2006/11/2 ... -dvd-sale/

Maybe this can be of some help. You can get it used for $40.

Or you can order it from Canada where you can get the seasons new for $9.99 each, although I am not sure what amazon charges to ship from Canada to the US.
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1 ... +5&x=0&y=0
 #158143  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:41 pm
"I am Susana Ivanova. I am death incarnate and the last living thing you will ever see. God sent me!"

Heh, reminds me a lot of "Solaris! I am Maria Balthasar. I shall be the dark wings that will bring you all to your deaths!"

I reeeally miss the late 90's and the gloriously cheesy battle cries =)
 #158152  by SineSwiper
 Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:54 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaSmassvv4w

Told ya... dialogue problems. Oh well. Still a great series. That Jack/Inquisitor episode was pretty cool. And I forgot that there were some damn good quotes, too:

Capt Drake: "Do not force us to engage your ship."
Delenn: "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Other great/favorite moments:

1. Delenn's experience with the Starfire Wheel
2. This scene from near the end of the V/S war
3. Lyta saving Garibaldi on Mars (same episode as above, actually)

Actually, I didn't realize just how much they packed into Season 4. Maybe they knew early enough that it might have been their last season, but man, that was a fast paced season.
 #158157  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 am
Yeah, after completing season 4, it really feels like I have finished the series. I watched half of the first episode of season 5, but I'll finish that tonight.

Looks like a bit of a fresh start.
 #158177  by SineSwiper
 Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Yeah, after completing season 4, it really feels like I have finished the series. I watched half of the first episode of season 5, but I'll finish that tonight.
There's still some good stuff in season 5. Lots of interaction with the telepaths.

Don't forget about Crusade. Not to detract from Gary Cole's excellent acting as the Captain, but they have a frelling technomage as part of the crew.
 #158186  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:52 pm
The idea of magic through technology is really cool; the technomages. In a way, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears also use this idea - makes me wonder if Takahashi stole the idea from Babylon 5? =P

Xenogears Ether is essentially based on genetic engineering and having Deus as the core power source.

I'll just say I am going to miss Ivanova and Marcus.
 #158207  by SineSwiper
 Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:12 pm
Yeah, that whole character interaction was pretty sad.
 #158211  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:05 am
I thought the saddest part about Marcus was how a smooth talking Bond-like covert operative like him somehow never ever got laid. That was the biggest tragedy among the main cast, and a real enigma.
 #158496  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 pm
Breaking Bad on Netflix

I actually watched the first 4-5 episodes months ago, but found it a little too intense for dinner TV =P

Since getting into the end of season 1 and beginning of season 2, it seems they've toned it down a bit (for now at least), and I'll probably watch it right through.

Tuco reminded me of a cross between one of my best friends and Tommy Devito/Nicki Santorum. I liked his character.
 #158990  by Shrinweck
 Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 am
Not bothering with an entire thread because it was so disappointing but the Bourne Legacy is pretty awful. First of all there isn't a real action scene until the movie is around a hour in. This would be excusable if the hour was filled with decent plot but it really wasn't. Instead we get some wintry mountain climbing nonsense, meaningless medical jargon, and absolutely no character development. For the first HOUR. Ugh. Bourne movies at their worst didn't make these mistakes. It's like making a goddamned Toy Story movie without putting any toys in for a majority of the flick. I wasn't expecting a lot going in because Matt Damon was a lot of the heart in the original trilogy, but I figured they were going to build a franchise with more of the same with a different actor - something I could live with. But this was bullshit. It's crazy that this made enough money to get a confirmed sequel.

New guy doing the music didn't even bother building on past themes. Just all around disappointing in every way but the acting from the leads.
 #159043  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:08 pm
Finished season 4 of Breaking Bad, WOW!

Star Trek the Next Generation has finally made it to Canadian Netflix, now I can finish it before I get the remaining DVDs.
Mike and Saul are both incredible side characters. I also really like how the two major players in the cartel are both Scarface actors (Manny and Alberto)
 #159287  by bovine
 Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:45 pm
I'm cruising through Murder She Wrote on Netflix. There is an incredibly pimp Xover Magnum P.I./Murder She Wrote episode that there are no words for.
 #159311  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am
Alright, I can see now after watching a great deal of TNG, that I should have tried to watch Deep Space 9 AFTER watching Star Trek the Next Generation. Maybe I will give it a shot after I finish TNG, which I am REALLY enjoying now.

I think the main reason I wasn't interested in it is that I didn't have TNG under my belt to get invested in the whole Alpha Quadrant Star Trek universe. From what I am gathering so far, now into season 5, is that the first half of TNG was more about exploring the new Universe, and the second half is about developing what has been explored - while not dropping the exploration angle completely. Deep Space 9 kind of begins with the writers already expecting the viewers to be invested in what was established with Next Generation.

I think with Voyager, it was much easier to get into because the ship was out there in the wild - and it takes on more of an Odyssey format where there is an overall arc about a journey across the galaxy, but the greater focus was on the smaller seasonal arcs and general seeking out of new life and civilizations; so I started with season 4, which was the beginning of a major 4 season story dealing with 7 of 9 and the Borg, and found it fairly gripping from there.

Speaking of these larger Science Fiction franchises, I want a new series of Star Trek or Stargate! =)
 #159312  by Shrinweck
 Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 pm
Rumors are that Star Trek could get a new TV show some time soon (since the movies are making it popular again) but I imagine Stargate is going to be gone for some years yet.

One of the producers of the old series this year said that a new Star Trek series could not be 'villain of the week' oriented or it would just fail which is definitely promising. A plot driven Star Trek series would be amazing since that was when the show was typically at its best.
 #159335  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 pm
Been going through the small series A Young Doctors Notebook today (it's only four episodes) starring Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm and I've been liking it. Really dark humor about a doctor in a small town in ~1917. Hamm plays the older incarnation of Radcliffe and appears as a helpful/hindering figment of his imagination. Really wasn't expecting much from this series but it's quite good. I also don't have to feel bad about pirating it since it airs on Sky Arts 1 which has absolutely version outside of the UK. Even Hamm said torrenting it was basically the only way to see it here.

I think I could watch 15 seasons of bad things comedically happening to Hamm on a television show, but apparently it's quite fun to watch bad things happen to Daniel Radcliffe as well.