The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Star Trek 2019 - Thoughts on Quentin Tarantino Directing?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #170416  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am
Quentin Tarantino directing
Mark L. Smith (the Revenant screenplay) writing
Chris Hemsworth continuing.

Quentin Tarantino is a known Star Trek fan, particularly of the original series. He has in the past expressed interest in bringing an episode of TOS and giving it the budget and time it deserved. The episode he seemed to be most interested in was City on the Edge of Forever - which, in short, involved the screw finding a gateway to the past (in this case, WW2), and Kirk falls in love with a passionate pacifist woman - who in every way seems like a great person. The conflict becomes that she dies in 1930. Kirk, of course, wants to save her - the result of saving her is that she leads a pacifist movement that delays the US getting involved with the war, allowing Nazi Germany enough time to develop nuclear weapons.

I think it would be a very interesting story; although, perhaps with a different skin for the conflict since WW2 is no longer as heavily in the consciousness of people as it was in 1966. Although, Tarantino has shown he has a way of making those less than relevant time periods still as popular as ever.

So far, details of the story are unknown. Time travel is suspected (as in City on the Edge of Forever) because Chris Hemsworth has been cast to return. Of course, this could just be due to a flashback sequence. It might also be due to another very popular original series episode, Mirror Mirror.

Other options could be a bit of a reimagining of The Cage/The Menagerie with Hemsworth's character taking the place of Pike... which IMO would be really cool and unexpected. Those episodes are fantastic and are less discussed than a lot of others these days.
 #170419  by kali o.
 Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 pm
Simply put - its a dumb choice. None of Tarantino's strengths (dialog, visceral violence) play towards a Star Trek movies. On paper - there couldn't be a worse choice...besides maybe Shyamalan.

Hope I'm wrong. Or you are joking.
 #170422  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:51 am
I agree with you for the majority of Star Trek stories. I think there's a high possibility that a time-travel or alternate timeline film could be made to play well to Tarantino's strengths; those episodes and films are to some degree a-typical to standard Star Trek, and are mostly well received (City on the Edge of Forever, Mirror Mirror, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Voyage Home, First Contact, All Good Things).

He posted this video a while ago to glean a little into how he'd approach things (even though it's kind of unfocused)

I think he'll probably direct Pine it as though he's directing Shatner, Quinto as Nimoy (etc...) and bring that kind of western-like influence into it. I think it sounds like he likes the City on the Edge of Forever/Yesterday's Enterprise style story based on this as well.

It's also the shake-up Star Trek might need as a franchise if they want to hit at or above First Contact and 2009. I expect he'll bring it back a lot closer to the spirit of the original series while adding in the dialogue and visceral violence (which Star Trek has attempted a few times). and would likely have a bit more substance to chew on than that one.

It's true it might suck, but I think the chances of that happening are less than it may appear, so I'm optimistic.
 #170427  by Eric
 Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:19 am
I am morbidly curious how a Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie will turn out, I don't love any of the new Star Trek films, and I know it's heresy but Into Darkness is probably my favorite just from an entertaining standpoint of the 3 new ones(I found the first one ok, and the 3rd one boring as sin).
 #170430  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 pm
Into Darkness and Beyond suffered from having virtually the same plot structure as 2009; except they replaced all the character development that people loved about the first film and filled it in with a lot of throwaway subplot and fluffy action. Good for a turn-off-your-brain popcorn flick, but those are a dime a dozen these days. Into Darkness wasn’t terrible in that regard, but the film got REALLY cringey with the Wrath Of Khan references.

Benedict Cumberbund was the worst cast Khan since John Wayne.