The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I Am Mother (Netflix film)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #171383  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 pm
The story begins with a robot that looks a bit like a cross between a Cylon and the robots from Chrono Trigger brings a human girl to life in an artificial womb. Raises her from baby to teen years, teaching her about morality and such.

I would describe the film as similar to Cloverfield 2, but,
Spoiler: show
instead of getting outside at the end, she gets out around midway through the film.

Unlike Cloverfield the extra plot elements make the first and second act portions feel very rushed. Having an unusually long third act isn't exactly a bad thing (Vertigo does it fantastically), but this film ended up with a weaker first act as a result, which did impact how you felt about certain elements later.
(Also some pacing criticisms in the spoiler box which I felt were a spoiler)

The film is about 1:45, but it should have been 2:00-2:10 with more at the beginning. I am wondering if they decided, "People are not going to want to pay attention to a slow burn."

But don't overthink on my criticisms. It's a good film worth watching if you're looking for an exciting post-apocalyptic/rebuilding society sci-fi thriller.