The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #166101  by kali o.
 Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Played through the latest Game of Thrones episode...not a fan. Part of it is that the game loses a bit in comparison to Life is Strange. The other is that no matter what choices you make (and it's debatable how much impact these choices have), it feels like you are fully fucked. I guess that's to be expected in a GoT theme game...but it was especially in your face this episode; it's a total bummer.
 #166240  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:14 pm
That KIND of sounds up my alley so I bought the GoT game when it went on Daily Deal today. I would imagine a feeling of being completely fucked would not only be as you said, expected in a GoT theme game, but also that that feeling would peak during episodes 3-4.

I played through episode one of the Borderlands TTG game last night and found it surprisingly good. The gimmick of having an eye that can scan things is underwhelming to use, but ends up being an interesting way to progress through the story. The characters are good... Not Lee/Clementine/Bigsby good, but "I want to play more of this" good.

I was surprised at how it was ACTUALLY funny. There's a good chance the 2.5-3 hours it took me to play episode one, I laughed more than the 10+ (I forget) hours it took me to beat the Borderlands 1/2 games.

Life is Strange is superior to these games. The time limit to select conversation choices can be interesting, but very often isn't. It's also just plain more entertaining to explore the world as Max, with maybe the exception being Wolf Among Us's better/more interesting moments. The time rewind is also a good mechanic for both enjoying what you can get out of each conversation and for getting through game events without the immersion destruction of a game over screen.

Edit: Okay, so I played through episode one of GoT and I think I'm getting your criticism a little more now lol. Clearly even more then other TTG games, this one is telling a story and you're just kinda there for the ride. I am having trouble seeing where this story could go in the scheme of GoT. Killing plot central characters in the books/television show just isn't going to happen so any kind of resolution would have to come in a way that would not have any impact on the plot of the source material. It COULD still be a good story.. I'm not convinced it'll make for an especially good game, though, but that's not really something TTG has done well in the past to begin with.
 #166278  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 pm
Fallout Shelter on iOS, by Bethesda.
Fairly cool casual game, but I can't see it lasting very long.
 #166309  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 pm
FALLOUT SHELTER:
I am sitting on around 30K currency, 50 people who I have named after Final Fantasy characters, I have at least one of each type of training room, and have maxed out a few character's stats (including armour).

Right now my base is pretty much 10 people constantly training luck and endurance while they wait to be sent out into the wasteland; whenever someone gets back from the wasteland, I make sure that the next to go out is whoever has the strongest combined Luck/Endurance stat; it's one big rotation. Everyone else is either pumping out resources or training the stats to improve their resource pumping ability.

PILLARS OF ETERNITY:
Honestly, not the most interesting of games so far. It has a highly generic feel to it like other Obsidian RPGs. I am not very far into it yet, but so far it is fairly dark and sleepy; it's very hard to get motivated to play this thing. It might get better, I would find it difficult to believe Paradox would publish something that doesn't have a big and interesting hook.
 #166310  by Shrinweck
 Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:39 pm
I loved the time I put into Pillars of Eternity but never ended up getting very far into the game (according to Steam I have 35 or so hours in the game, but I only ever got 6-8 hours into a playthrough). I loved the classes and the story but the combat drove me crazy at times. Basically there's no way for your tanks to hold/attain agro, so under all but ideal circumstances, monsters will bypass your tanks and basically insta kill your damage dealers.

It's a game that on paper I should love and kind of did, but it just never grabbed me in a way that made me want to finish it.

Since I Kickstarted the game, I decided to buy the future expansion at a (presumably massive) discount... so I'll give it a second chance. Some day. There's been like 2gb in patches since I last played it so I really should give it another go.
 #166311  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:52 am
That's good to know; I think they could have done a MUCH better job in the intro portion of the game, I am not digging the story or setting so far. Although I am still less than an hour in. I'm in a cave after fleeing from the caravan, the darkness of the setting so far just kind of put me to sleep.

Anyway, Fallout Shelter, I highly recommend this one. It's an interesting game, and everyone's playing it right now.

Some hints:
1. Don't upgrade any rooms until you have the weapons/armour/training to defend against more powerful enemoes - the difficulty of the enemies is tied to the level of the room.
2. Resource consumption slows drastically when logged out, almost to a standstill.
3. People out in the wasteland don't consume resources at the base, so send out all of your extra colonists until you have training rooms.
4. Put your highest strength characters in the Power Generator, your highest agility characters in the diner, and your highest perception characters in the water treatment.
5. DO NOT have too many children at once, as this will destroy your economy, in the early stages, 1-2 kids is enough. Later on having 4-5 is manageable.
6. When you have a Weight Room, Athletics Room, and Armoury, start training the crap out of your extra colonists; rather than sending them out into the wasteland. Also at that point, build a med bay and science lab to construct resources to keep characters going for much longer in the wasteland.
7. Organize your base when you have the money, make sure that rooms are adjacent to other rooms of the same type, up to three in a row will combine into one.
8. DO THE QUESTS, do the quests mostly for the lunchboxes. You can cancel one quest per day; I suggest getting rid of your most ridiculous ones each day. Try to do all of the quests that have lunchboxes as prizes as you can get some really good stuff.

I think everyone should give this one a shot, it's kind of like a more hands on Sim Tower that has raiders and roach attacks. All in the setting of a post-nuclear apocalypse.

#166312  by kali o.
 Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:00 pm
When Shelter is available for android, I will try it.

As for Pillars, I played it, but never finished it. The whole game was a chore and I simply lost interest.
 #166363  by Oracle
 Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:20 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Basically there's no way for your tanks to hold/attain agro, so under all but ideal circumstances, monsters will bypass your tanks and basically insta kill your damage dealers.
Eh, I didn't have that much trouble with my tank holding agro. I started with paladin/fighter, but paladins blow. Once I went with 2 fighters, it made things considerably easier to manage. Not to say my cipher, rogue, mage and cleric didn't get iced now and then due to enemies bypassing (or killing) my tanks.

I ended up finishing the game, and killed the boss at the end of the base's dungeon (Cad Nua? Can't remember the name). I started playing on hard, but due to the combat issues, I dialed it down to normal. Not a cake walk by any means, but much more manageable.

I really enjoyed the game, but the last boss in the base was particularly annoying without cheese tactics. Nothing else gave me near as much trouble.

I was really disappointed with the rogue at first, but when I realized just let the rogue act as a ranged character until some DPS was laid down, my rogue actually became my 'round up' character who would go after the enemies that attacked my backfield. He would obliterate anything in the backfield, as long as he wasn't the focus of the attacks.
 #166372  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 am
I started playing another iOS game called Lifeline. It's an interesting take on both casual and text adventure genre. You playthe role of an operator who is in contact with an astronaught who's crash landed on a distant unknown moon. You're in a conversation with them, giving them advice, telling them what to do. If you tell them to travel up a mountain, they will, and you'll get text updates on their journey over the course of however long it will take. You'll get updates on the notification feed outside of the app, or you can open the app and interact with the character.

The format of the adventure feels a little like choose your own adventure.
 #166443  by kali o.
 Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 am
Played through Game of Thrones ep 5. I will play 6 when it is out, for closure, but after that I am done with Telltale games until they put more effort in.

The last episode was terrible...

- it was short. I was done in 30 mins or so.

- it highlights Telltale is actually moving backwards (less actual choice). Every scenario played out in this game is on rails, no matter what you do.

- The pseudo choices are basically palette swaps (different characters have the same dialog/actions)

- The writing is shit. Telltale left huge plot holes. And the traitor twist (which is actually a problem that includes the previous complaints) is fucking terrible...it doesn't fit and it smacks of laziness.

Telltale needs to go back to the drawing board.
 #166587  by Don
 Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:20 am
I picked up Fate Grand Order, which is only available in Asia territory so either you need some way to change your device's setting or run it on some kind of emulator and then download the APK directly. Although it's in Japanese you can probably play it just fine once you know which menu is what (and they even have English subtitles on most of them) and as long as you know what's the Japanese for 'cancel' in the standard 'yes or no' it's not a big deal. The page says the story boosts over a million words but it is kind enough to provide you with a 'skip' button. None of the dialogue choices you make seems to have any effect on the outcome since you can skip the entire dialogue without even making a choice. The combat system is kind of like Summoner's War, where you got your standard rock paper scissor model and the basic attacks and then a whole mess of cooldowns. I have stuff that takes 15 turns to refresh even though I'm not even sure how fights can last that long, and healing spells have like a 10 turn cooldown so I don't think you'd ever get into stalemate very much though there are also CDs that are like 'invulnerability for X turn' so maybe things can drag out really long. The one thing this game does right is the way overpowered NPC guys that join you. I always loved those guys in a RPG. In chapter 1 you would be fighting this level 15 boss with your level 1 guys which you can barely beat and then you fight like 2 more level 15 bosses and then Cu Culain comes and he's level 18 and can pretty much one shot those guys (who can one shot your level 1 guys).

The stamina recovery system in this game is really nasty. It's 10 minutes per AP and I already see missions that requires 7 or so and you only have about 20. They probably think you're supposed to actually read this story and that'd take half an hour before you start your mission but I sure didn't bother. Speaking of the story, like I predicted the Fate universe isn't the same without the psychotic Magi counterparts. Sure, the heroes they summon are largely responsible for the series' popularity but Magi/Hero are almost always portrayed in a duo and missing one half of that kind of destroys whatever nostalgia the game might think it's doing. The actual game is a pretty straightforward RPG and they probably spent a fortune on the voice actors and it's kind of cool to listen to what the characters have to say on virtually everything. You also get to do the hero's side stories once you used them enough. Speaking of which, upgrading a character from 3* to 6* generally results the female characters end up with less clothing, usually from full plate armor to wearing next to nothing, unless they're someone who was probably supposed to be dirt poor, in that case their 3* version starts with them wearing next to nothing and I guess when they get upgraded they can afford to buy some pants or whatever. The male characters usually just have more spike on their armor as you upgrade them.

The first chapter is Fuyuki City on Fire, e.g. the only Fate game (Fate/Stay Night) that has a story worth caring about. Although I barely read it I think it's something like after the girl Magis totally trashed the city and turn it into a ground zero of evil magical energy the mysterious Magi Association who always does absolutely nothing in the actual game themselves sent some time travelers back in time to figure out what went wrong because events like Fuyuki City on Fire eventually led to the end of the universe or something. I'm sure it's the typical Typemoon blabble about impossibly grand concepts by guys who you were of course were never part of any of the major battles but totally has a contingency plan for everything including the end of the universe. Again I think this is where they have it all wrong. I don't care about playing as some nameless newbie Magi who was sent back in time to save the universe. If we're Fuyuki we need to see Ilya ran over people with Berserker and then drain their souls, or Rin blowing stuff up because that's what Rin does when she's not accidentally destroying the universe, or even Sakura doing her tentacle thing on everything weaker than she, which is nobody that is female outside of plot convenience.

I changed my mind about Dragonball Dokkan battle. It's not worth playing and if you want to spend any money you'd be better off getting Dragonball Xenoverse, but the whole dragonball 'knock someone in mid air and teleport behind them and then knock them down' never gets old. It doesn't matter the game sucks in general, it's just pretty cool to do the signature Dragonball stuff over and over again. It's like you can almost recreate any scene in DBZ with Dokkan battle's stock footage that include stuff like:

1. Throw a lot of fireballs and MOAR fireballs.
2. Juggle into air and teleport behind them to knock them down.
3. Juggle into air and ramming past the victim straight up
4. Kick someone to the right and then teleport behind them and kick them to the left.
5. Punch a guy a lot of times and then kick them.
6. Punch a guy once and then throw a lot of fireballs
7. Just kick someone really hard.

I'm still playing Tap Tap Infinity, and it seems like unlike the other clickers this one doesn't actually wear your hand out which means most people don't like it because people like to wear out their hands, or use an autoclicker. It's almost like a game of math and resource management where you've to figure out how much time it takes before you can hit certain break even points in DPS and if you make the wrong call you'll end up wasting a lot of time for nothing.
 #166592  by Don
 Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:06 pm
For a game designed like any generic P2W game, Fate Grand Order sure plays a lot like a normal RPG in that they seem to actually try to have the actual story and progression mean something even if everyone is going to just hit skip on it except when a boss shows up.

In the end of Prologue you get to fight Saber Alter whose super does something like 17K damage to everyone, and your characters have about 2K HP except for the guest who has like 4K, but he has a move that avoids all damage for one turn. It's funny because the dialogue going up to the final the guest is telling the main character she needs to use her shield which looks like the main character found a slab of metal and attached four swords to it in the typical Anime style gear and use that to block Saber Alter's Excalibur while he DPS her down and it's like 'are you sure this is going to work?' Maybe he means that your corpse will slow the Excalibur down, which to be fair Saber gets 3 attacks a turn and any random guy she one shots besides the guest at least eats up one of her attacks.

After you get out of prologue you get to see what happens when you've a P2W character that's also the game designer's favorite character. In Chapter 1 you get Joan of Arc who is a 5 star level 20 with 3 of her base pulls which I think would need thousands of dollars to get. In a game with the typical rock-paper-scissor model she has her own class in this system and surprisingly enough it's not just strong very everything (it's neutral versus everything, which is still pretty good given nobody ever has exactly all the right classes for whatever random combination of classes the game throws at you). Her stats are pretty much off the chart and the enemies are designed such that they're fairly trivial to Joan of Arc but you literally have no chance of beating them without, as you'd see some bosses hit you for 40K or whatever but the same attacks will just more or less bounce off her. I've to admit if the point is to entice people to buy this stuff, it does sort of work. There are some more nonsense about how Joan of Arc is the greatest hero that ever lived because whoever in charge of this game has a fetish on her, and in the typical 'you must be the amazing guy that nobody has ever heard of' you also get Marie Antoinette who I'm pretty sure is most well known for being guillotined during the French Revolution. Then again, if someone carrying a slab of iron can block an Excalibur, I guess the traditional sense of 'famous' and 'powerful' goes out of the window. By the way, when you run into Saber the main character appropriately pointed out that isn't King Arthur a guy, and the explanation is like 'we're doing time travel and parallel dimension and evil energy here, logic goes out the window!' That, to be honest, is considerably better explanation than whatever explanation Fate series gave for their gender bending heroes that basically boils down to most famous heroes in history are guys.

They put a lot of work on this game but I think it'll probably be one of those game where the develop lost a bunch of money on it. Some of the rare pulls are just outrageously expensive, especially the Magi gear that are essentially a way of imagining your Magi isn't some random no name guy but someone like Rin Tohsaka, which would cost you hundreds of dollars and you get to see her face in a tiny icon that's something like 32X32 pixels. I mean seriously, what the heck are they thinking? Check Million Arthur's tie-in with Fate where you can like replace your 'friendly advice girl' with Ilya or use characters that clearly have nothing to do with the theme of the game, like Rin, if you paid enough money for them. That's how a cash grab should be done.
 #166630  by Shrinweck
 Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:03 pm
I decided to jump back into FF14 since I quit because I burnt out rather than because I didn't like the game. I'm having a lot of fun.

What they've done/continued to do right:

Crafting still fun as hell - really nice now that I have a second monitor and can fully just relax while I grind some shit out and watch some Netflix/a podcast.

Leveling/guildhests/dungeoning queues have been vastly improved. There's this new "roulette" mode that throws you into a random guildhest/dungeon/trial and even if you're overleveled as hell it'll give you a really good reward at least once a day. The queue only takes 5-15 minutes (sometimes immediate even if you're queueing as a dps for the guildhest roulette) and even gives tanks/healers an even further bonus. The system is great because it lets you play the game with (more often than not) people who've done these things so many times that nothing is an issue. It's bad for people learning things though and if you actually wanted to do anything optional you're boned. In any case, a dungeon roulette gets you 2-3 levels when you're below level 30 and since you're doing it with experienced people they go really fast.

There are just a lot more dailies to do, allowing you to level classes without having to grind levequests and shit. They added factions to do daily reputations quests with which is another source of leveling experience.

What they've managed to still get wrong:

RMT/gold selling spam is STILL horrific which is hard to believe. When I was downloading the game there was a somewhat recent dev post about the actions they'd taken in like 10 days, banning THOUSANDS of accounts guilty of gold selling/RMT/cheating - but not much progress made in actual prevention.

It looks like most of the actual complaining is still directed at certain end game content, which I haven't even gotten to since my highest leveled class was 43. Plan on getting the new Ninja job a try before I decide if I want to get to 50 as a pugilist or a rogue and start on the new content... although most likely I'll end up trying one of the new jobs once I unlock them at 50 lol.
 #166631  by Don
 Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:14 am
The end game when I played pretty much revolves memorizing the 25 different things the boss do in their exact order because due to the lag of this game there's no possible way you can react to any of their special moves after you see it. Take the infamous Weight of the Earth on Titan, that's a move you have to be running before you can see the warning cursor to actually dodge it on time due to the inherent lag, so you must remember exactly when it comes since it's obviously counterproductive to be running all the time. Pretty much anyone sane has recognized this and stopped caring/playing about the end game but you still have the masochist who insist that having mechanism with a delayed warning display so that you can't possibly avoid it by the time you see it coming is the way to go. Also FF14 is probably the most 'guess what the dev is thinking' game since EQ1, as in most of the mechanism the boss does is not something where you can even figure out what you're supposed to do to counter them without a spoiler site. Even something extremely simple like Caduceus there is no in game indication that you're supposed to purposely spawn some extra adds and feed them to Caduceus to remove his power up stacks, and it's a pretty trivial mechanism to do but I honestly don't see why you'd ever come to the conclusion that you're supposed to purposely spawn some adds that are otherwise easily avoidable.

I do command FF14 for at least keep on churning out content. Even if it's sucky stuff, at least they didn't take the approach of 'let's not do anything and hope the game magically improves itself', and some of the stuff they add can be considered as genuinely good.
 #166632  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:28 am
It was a rainy day, so I sat down with an old classic, the original SNES version of Chrono Trigger.

I ended up playing for about 5 hours in a row, which is possibly the longest amount of time I have sat and played a home console game in years, at least since Xenoblade over three years ago. I finished just after Hekran Cave. I love this game every bit as much as I did back in the mid-90s.

The only version to play is the original, all of the other remakes have done something to mess with it; this isn't just purely opinion on the new added content in later versions - as I really dislike the filler side stuff and Chrono Cross pollution brought into the DS and iOS version. In all of the later versions they mess with the music with attempts at improving it, they add jarring cutscenes, there are load times in certain versions, and in others the animations have been altered for the worse.
 #166633  by Don
 Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:44 am
What did they do for the later versions of Chrono Trigger that ties into Chrono Cross? I thought it was just the ending where you fight the Devourer of Time and some more stuff with Magus. I mean, the original kind of didn't make much sense because you sort of just left Schala for dead and Magus seems to be searching some totally random place without any idea of where he can find her, but it was an unresolved mystery that felt open ended even though you suspect it's because they didn't quite figure out what's supposed to happen to Schala.

I'm still pretty puzzled that most modern RPGs don't look anywhere as good as Chrono Trigger. I don't mean the game plays as well as Chrono Trigger. That can be quite hard. If you look at the generic RPGMaker RPG on Steam it's just graphically inferior and it's usually barely better even when you get to more advanced developers. Yes, Chrono Trigger had a lot of talent on the staff and whatnot, but you'd think having some decent cel-shaded stuff or 3D stuff should at least be able to match it. For example, even accounting for styleish bonus points for Chrono Trigger, I'd say the Shining Force NEO/EXA looks a lot better than Chrono Trigger and that was a mid range action RPG game on a PS2. Yes it was made by Sega but you'd think with the inflation in processing power it should be pretty easy to get that kind of stuff. I mean I see people put up fairly impressive 3D videos with their own rendering tool, so it's certainly possible on a small scale and even if your small time guys can't possibly extend that on a larger scale, you should be able to make a relatively small game with high quality graphics but this just doesn't seem to exist.
 #166635  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 am
Yeah, that was exactly it. It just didn't sit very well with me. It would be if the Simpsons alternate ending to Casablanca actually happened, how huge fans of that movie would have felt.

The original Chrono Trigger ending had Magus wander through time with one small shred of hope between him and the despair of having lost everything. Schala may still be alive lost somewhere in time; nothing says that this is the case, in all likelihood, she perished at Ocean Palace.

The changes open up a bunch of new questions in regards to Lavos, Schala, and Magus. Originally: Lavos is an alien parasite which landed on the planet with the purpose to consume and to reproduce; Schala, was one of the people who used the Mammon Machine to exploit Lavos's power.
What additional power does Schala have that isn't derived from Lavos?
What benefit does Lavos receive in merging with Schala?
How does this merger advance Lavos's goal of spawning?
If this is no longer Lavos's goal, what else is?
What is Magus's ending now?

Anyway, I have defeated Magus in the game, so I'm still moving along.
 #166636  by Don
 Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:13 pm
I think the whole bit about how Schala wanted to destroy everything and Lavos might've just came out of despair made no sense. I mean, she struck me as a pretty standard 'girl with mysterious power' and at least there was nothing based on her dialogue that'd ever suggest she secretly wanted everything to be destroyed. It's a very typical lame attempt to try to add more depth. For the most parts the guys in Chrono Trigger, even the bad guys, are pretty normal guys. They don't have any hidden ulterior motive to destroy all that ever existed or whatever.
 #166650  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:45 pm
I found a couple of things in Chrono Trigger that I had never discovered before. I was using a guide to get all the sealed stuff after charging the pendant, and thanks to a guide I discovered you can upgrade the 1000 AD chests by approaching and selecting to decline to open them in 600 AD. The other thing is accessing the maelstrom through Vortex Point, a hidden location near Lucca's House.

In all likelihood, I am probably the last of us here to discover this stuff. I've probably done this game a few dozen times as well including New Game+ runs while I was in junior high and high school.
 #166669  by Don
 Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:37 pm
Playing Letter Quest on Steam, think it's also available on mobile stuff. It's basically scrabble with RPG elements where you get 15 letters to spell something and the longer the word/rarer the letter the more damage it does. There's conditions like certain enemies are weak to words that become with a vowel or whatever. I keep on think I'll be able to spell some killer 15 letter words with a Q, J, and Z but usually end up with unimpressive 4 letter words like 'bite'. I think one time I had a duplicator on 3 vowels (duplicates that letter every turn) and ended up with 13 vowels out of 15 letters and that was really hard to spell anything.
 #166682  by kali o.
 Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:47 pm
Playing that Fallout Shelter game. Not sure yet why people like it...seems super simplistic.
 #166683  by Oracle
 Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm
Bought The Talos Principle on sale the other day. Seems cool (if not a little simple) so far.
 #166740  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:17 am
I really didn't need to get this one, but I ended up getting Final Fantasy 7 iOS and have started playing it.

I am also playing a lot of Rival Kingdoms (iOS), Dwarf Fortress (PC), and Xenoblade (3DS).

There's a couple of interesting iOS games I dabbled in recently as well, Does not Commute - a very interestingly designed game where poor playing really does increase the difficulty of the game. Gangster Vegas which is a GTA clone, right down to radio stations; made by Gameloft.
 #166741  by Don
 Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 pm
Grandia 2 is on Steam. Doesn't work with the Xbox 1 controller (the rotate button is perfectly on which makes it very hard to move around or do anything useful) but otherwise it's a good chance to play Grandia 2 if you never played it on the Dreamcast. They added a hard mode and the first mini boss does like 50% of your health with their big move and there are two of them. I don't remember the game being that hard though it was always very punishing if you didn't interrupt/block the right moves. I guess I'll have a better gauge of the difficulty level when I get to Eye of Volmar which was barely beatable without heals without grinding levels on the Dreamcast. I still wish they have a mode where you can't heal in mid combat, or something. I understand why they make heals as overpowered as they are in this game as they're all virtually low cost and practically uninterruptible because otherwise some guys might never be able to beat the game but it's kind of stupid to have bosses that makes 7 attacks in one turn for stupid amount of damage if you can just heal through it no problem.

By the way, I'm seeing a lot of people talking about Grandia 1 on the message boards in Steam. I didn't know people even played that game. In fact it's kind of amazing how Grandia 2 turned out to be pretty good when its origin is a game whose only noteworthy feature was a horrible voice acting, and I don't mean like the voice acting being bad somehow affects the game. Grandia 1 was so bland that literally the only thing that made it stood out was how incredibly bad the US voice actors are. Otherwise I wouldn't even be able to tell you a single distinguishing feature, good or bad, about the game, because you're literally just going through the same dungeon 50 times until the game ends.
 #166742  by Eric
 Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:21 am
I'm terrified that people are saying Grandia 2 has the best voice acting in the series.

Also it's an awful PC port in terms of options, but it's a Japanese release so that's par for the course.
 #166743  by Don
 Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:29 am
For what, English or Japanese? I put it on Japanese and it sounds like a totally generic stereotypical voices for every role just like the English version was. At least the English voice acting in Grandia has been consistently generic outside of the first game. There's really nothing good or bad about them.

Alt tab sometimes leads to horrible sound effects.
 #166744  by Don
 Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:44 pm
Grandia 2's initial story makes me wonder if it's some kind of freak accident that it's good. I mean they actually had pretty thoughtful stuff going on what how being an XYZ of Valmar doesn't necessarily mean you're evil, and then after the Eye of Valmar arc it's like 'never mind, having anything to do with Valmar is like drinking from a can of instant evil'.

Hard mode is really hard to beat without cheesing it with Alheal or just grinding, though it probably gets easier after Eye of Valmar.
 #166782  by Don
 Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:40 am
Playing Keiresei Million Man Arthur on the Japanese server. You'll have to use something like QooApp on an emulator run it, or have a Japanese account. Or you can play the previous version on a NA account that's about to shut down in Japan, because clearly it's a great idea to port over games that are totally dead in your own market. In this game there are 4 guys rallying behind some guy who is supposed to King Arthur against some dragon, and the guy promptly died and it turned out that everyone is a legendary hero these days (hence the name of the title) so the 4 guys decided they're really the next King Arthur and that's your party. You only control one person and they're setup like a MMORPG. You got mercenary Arthur (melee DPS), rich man Arthur (defensive buff + tank), thief Arthur (debuff + magic attack), and singer Arthur (offensive buff + heals). You have a deck of cards that do the aforementioned stuff plus other stuff and a card is way more effective on the right type of Arthur, so for example melee attack is way stronger when used by mercenary Arthur than anyone else. It's a typical turn based RPG with a resource system similar to Hearthstone (you start with 3 crystals and it goes up by 1 each turn to play your cards). You can play by yourself as one character and then you use your friend or random strangers if you don't got any friend's decks for the other 3 Arthurs you don't have. There's also a multiplayer mode where you actually need to have 4 guys around where in theory you should have 4 guys who each put some effort into their roles. For some weird reason while the healer Arthur is always in short supply, the tank Arthur is usually not (probably because there are a lot of good tanking cards) and instead thief Arthur replaces the tank as the rare role. Of course healers are always rare and just like a MMORPG expect to get a healer Arthur that has her entire deck dedicated to nukes and then your party dies horribly.

The way to acquire card is your standard star rarity system that generally requires a lot of money but you can probably build a decent character without paying since you can just concentrate on one type of card you need. This game has some really cool collaboration efforts. Currently it's got a Himoto Umaruchan event going on and as far as I can tell the cameo characters are fairly self contained and not any more powerful than what can be accounted for as random imbalance issues, so Umaru is definitely a playable character if you want her and if you never got her there's someone in the regular set of characters that does almost exactly the same thing as she does. From just playing on the first day you can see there are guys who must have spent a lot of money for a deck with only Umaru characters and I saw decks with only Fate characters (the last collaboration effect). Graphically this game is pretty impressive too. It seems to always be doing slightly worse than FF: Record Keeper in Japan probably because it's on an IP that literally nobody cares about. This game is directly developed by SE and even if they don't want to directly compete against themselves they at least own all the IPs that aren't Final Fantasy too and should've at least leveraged that, and I'm sure there's plenty of halfway decently popular Anime that would love to have their characters in it. Since the whole game's premise is so ridiculous this gets around the usual problem that a lot of Anime wouldn't make sense in a RPG. I mean Umaru is about a high school girl that magically transforms into a couch potato that devours junk food and drink coke at home and you're fighting Dragons along with King Arthur #1721094, and as far as I can tell drinking coke probably heals your party or something. Certainly most stuff would fit in even better and SE has their own stuff that they should be able to introduce periodically, but for whatever reason the game is still stuck with a bunch of random original characters nobody has ever heard of.

I haven't tried it yet but I think there's an equivalent of a group finder, and I'm pretty sure you can expect people to immediately ragequit if you ever made a mistake or not outgear the content by 200%.
 #166790  by Don
 Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:50 am
Update on Million Arthur Kairisei since the server finally came down for maintenance. This is a seriously awesome game and shows SE still got it, and they actually know how to make a MMORPG even though technically this isn't one. At first it looks like your generic Korean/Japanese grinder, but once you start grouping up it's totally different and unless you're super rich you should be grouping up because grouping uses the leader's energy instead of yours. So this means if you're good you can carry players who usually suck (that's why they're opening the game and using their energy). Sure, you also have a lot of tagalongs that suck but after a while people actually figure out that if you suck and you joined another player who sucks all you're going to do is wipe and waste both of your time. Sure, some players never give up but that's life. Everyone gets loot for winning so if you got 3 other friends you can get 4 times the loot for the same energy, and given the game's fairly generous regen plus significant difficulty curve you might never even run out of energy because it can take like 20 minutes to beat a boss which uses up 2 hours of energy but with 4 guys rotating it'll take a while before your energy is depleted.

One of the really interesting thing is that the game purposely has no communication besides a handful of stock phrases. A mechanism like Darkness is literally designed on the fact that there's no possible way to communicate your current status. That is, you cannot see what cards are used by a person who is under darkness status and if that guy can just say like 'casting bloodlust' there would literally be no point to have darkness as a very strong debuff. Now if this game was in the USA you'd have people make Ventrillo mandatory even though it'd probably take you the 30 seconds available in a turn to talk about what to do and you end up doing nothing. It's actually very unique because you basically should know what spells what classes have and when they're likely to cast something, like only the singer (healer) can bloodlust and she can't cast bloodlist and heal at the same turn, so bloodlust is only going to come at a turn where everyone is at full health, and for the most part since heals are often non negotible if the healer's heal is wind elemental then everyone else better use wind elemental cards, or if that's somehow impossible then the DPS usually should use either the best counter element or their best DPS cards amongst themselves though having a 4 chain generally beats anything except the elemental affinity bonus and if you can 3 chain the proper element already then you don't care if the healer can match it anyway.

From what I can tell although the game never actually says this, the story is that you're in some kind of medieval MMORPG with Matrix reality technology (people in it can't tell they're in a MMORPG, at least not from the player's view) that has failed due to massive bugs, bad balance decisions, blatant P2W schemes, massive PvP ganking, and so on. Thus the 4 Arthurs in the beginning of the story are some newbies that are just trying to survive in this world by ganking other players for their loot. The game has a 'solo' section which its version of a PvE server where you faceroll completely trivial stuff that has no chance of dropping anything good but if you want to just keep on xping or whatever you can do that. Then if you want loot you've to fight entities that are the game's way of capturing concepts like a blatant game error (some of the enemies are called like 0x00F111 Buffer Overflow or whatever), whales, overpowered classes, or Korean gaming gods. The difficulty of this game is pretty nuts. It'd be like imagine playing Final Fantasy X and the first boss casts Fallen One every other turn and enrages after 10 turns and leveling up is not an option. The fights that can drop the 5* (highest base rarity) are just mindboggling difficult. One of the fight for example has a 5 turn enrage timer + no heals allowed restriction (though you shouldn't ever stop to heal even if you could because of the enrage) and the boss has a standard health pool. The general structure of the fights is that a boss usually has 3 parts, main body, something that does an undispellable stacking attack buff (like a sword), and something that does an undispellable stacking defense buff (like a shield). The loot is in their equipment so you have to destroy it to have a realistic shot at getting anything good (I don't think the boss themselves isn't even on the best loot table compared to whatever weapon/armor they're wearing). Destroying the boss's equipment generally leads to the boss immediately enraging and killing you the next turn, though they will usually soft enrage by turn 10 anyway because of the stacking buffs they get if you didn't destroy their gear. Now you could just DPS only the boss but that's actually extremely wasteful in terms of your energy spent versus reward.

By the way, I see the guides pretty much always go with the 'healer important blah blah blah' but honestly when your tank class is called 'rich guy' it should be pretty obvious who's the guy that matters the most. Well, the Thief is very important too, but unless your healer can just tank the boss you absolutely need taunts and stuff and the equivalent of shield wall is mandatory if you misjudge enrage, or just plain can't make it on time, not to mention true to his name, the rich guy can do a ton of dps because he is, well, the rich guy. The balance in this game isn't that important because every party has to have one merc, one rich guy, one thief, and one singer. It doesn't even matter if it's a fight where you can't heal. That just means your singer needs to swap all her spells for DPS (and she's actually not that bad at doing DPS). In fact early on a lot of the harder stuff you pretty much will just be going for the MOAR DPS strategy. Even the XP fairy farm, for example, does far too much damage to be healed unless you've an end game healer when every big fairy AEs for 5K every turn and that's something you should be doing as soon as you break 10K HP so you can take 2 AEs, because they really should never get any AE off when everyone including the healer is DPSing them down.

If anyone wants to go through the hoop of playing on the Japanese server (no English version exists) while randomly guessing the commands (it's actually not that hard) my current party of 2 is looking for a Thief and a Merc, or a richer Rich Guy.
 #166799  by ManaMan
 Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:18 am
I'm playing through the Uncharted series right now. Just finished #1 and I'm about 20% through #2.

I'm also playing Fez. It's a fun indie take on 2D/3D similar to Super Paper Mario. Great soundtrack, sounds like Boards of Canada.
 #166838  by Shellie
 Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:33 pm
My 5 year old plays Fez :D
He's big into Battleblock Theater, N+, Minecraft (of course) and will still occasionally go back and play Fez again.
 #166860  by Don
 Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:57 pm
Still playing Kairisei Million Arthur. I think they need to get away from the mono color raid bosses because it's really just not that hard to put a deck of 10 fire cards against a mono-wind boss and it's not even good for P2W because elemental advantage is so decisive you can easily get away with a bunch of relatively ghetto freebie cards, though since the solution is so obvious (have boss have more than one element) I assume they'd eventually figure this out. The PvP portion of this game is a good example of why SE should never have anything to do with PvP. It'd be like a MMORPG PvP battleground where the computer controls your entire team, including yourself, against the enemy which is also controlled by the computer. So what's the point? Well there really isn't. The game might as well just look at how much money both side spent on their deck and declare the winner because that's about 99% reliable when you don't get to control anything in a PvP. Well, technically you get to control 1 of the 4 characters, but since the computer controls rest of your team and they do whatever they want it means everything you do might as well be random too because heals always have priority over attack, so for example you see an enemy healer within one hit of dying and figure you can finish him but the computer just heals him to full before you get your turn and your 3 allies all focus fire on the tank instead and since you stupidly went after the healer instead of the tank you end up taking out nobody anyway. Though to be fair there's also literally no point to do PvP in this game to begin with (you get like 3-4 free pulls a week which is likely less than whatever you get for just logging in) so at least it doesn't get in the way too much. The developer update says they're planning to have PvP where you get to control your team which basically just means the team that won the roll on the first attack wins the game because you can AE stuff for 40K against players when their max HP is about 30K.

I'm finding the 'not quite raid' stuff in this game to be more interesting, partly because they're generally not as demanding on having a mono-color deck and occasionally there's some really insane stuff, like Phoenix enraging on turn 3 and slap everyone for 40K damage.

This game also shows SE do know something about MMORPG. The bard boss would be the most epic MMORPG encounter ever if implemented with the 'absolutely no communication' mode this game has. You fight this bard and he wants you to listen to his story. If you hit him anytime before he finishes his song he enrages immediately and kills everyone in one hit. After he's done with the song you get a buff from him that allows you to actually do damage to him (his base defense and HP is something like 10 times higher than the strongest raid boss in the game). Now of course it's pretty trivial to win this if everyone is aware of what the boss does, but what if you force this in a strictly group finder and just disable chat? All it takes one guy going trigger happy and wipe the raid!
 #166890  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:38 am
I've been playing much of the same, although I began playing Dragon Quest 5, and have now pushed about 20 hours into it in a much more extensive play through than I have done in the past... I am taking any new human characters I receive and getting their commentary on any villager or location I have ever had access to. So it's slower moving, but highly rewarding for big fans like me. That design is all there, but the vast majority of people will probably not experience most of it in a single play.

I forgot the bits of humour and clever references littered throughout this one, there's a lot of little small subtle things all throughout, such as an inn within a cave, or a cave inn. In this port they've updated some of the dialogue; in character commentary one guy (Harry) is trying to imitate some opera singers the party comes across, and his opening line was "OK, now if I remember how it goes: O, Maria!"
 #166917  by ManaMan
 Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:32 am
My 5 year old plays Fez
Yeah, I thought it might be a good game for my 6 year old daughter to play too.
 #166935  by Shrinweck
 Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:46 am
Playing Marvel Heroes, Dying Light, and FF14 in about that order.

I got through the insane amount of questing to get to the expansion content in FF14 and I see why it was well reviewed. The new dungeons are for the most part well done... which is good because in order to level your other jobs 51-60 you're going to have to do the five or so of them like 10 times a job. There are of course alternatives, but, eh, dungeons are the best even with the 5-15 minute queue. There are dailies that help things along and they're pretty fun to do. I still don't have any problems with lag and dodging AoEs but those with latency issues still do. I had to do the last boss of the 53-54 dungeon one night with latency issues and, yeah, it sucked. Good shit, but I can't see subbing for more than other month without another expansion's worth of content (which obviously isn't happening).

Dying Light was on sale so I picked that up. I can't really stand to play it for more than an hour or two at a time but it does really suck me in when I'm going at it. I just played through the first night and it was extremely nerve wracking trying to get my ass to a safe zone.

Yeah and I'm still dorky enough to get back into Marvel Heroes here and there. They've done a lot to improve the game in the last year It's weird how often they release niche heroes, but at this point they've released 50 of them so I guess niche is largely all they have left. Kitty Pryde and Blade are the next two hero releases and they both seem highly looked forward to, with the community erupting in nerdy fury over the state of Kitty Pryde in the test center this week to the point where she was delayed JUST FOR TESTING for another week lol. Blade is also looked forward to more than I would think considering the train wreck the movies kind of were. They're actually trying to get Wesley Snipes to voice him. On the other hand... if you like ARPGs who wouldn't want to play someone who wields a sword, guns/gadgets, and has a host of half-vampire abilities?
 #166956  by Shellie
 Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:35 pm
ManaMan wrote:
Yeah, I thought it might be a good game for my 6 year old daughter to play too.
I find it amazing how well the game taught him to think about what he needed to do to find the cubes, etc. Him and Sine beat the game, so he has moved on, but every now and then he likes to play it again. He said he loves the music in the game.
 #166984  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 am
I got Splatoon, given I found the demo reasonably fun, and several of my co-workers play it regularly.

I can't say that I'm very impressed at over an hour's play. It's not a terrible game, but I do think it is very overhyped in a Smash Bros sort of way. Neither of those two games I find nearly as fun as Mario Kart.

The one major flaw is that they opted to go with a dual analog controller scheme when the Wii U is compatible with Wii remotes, and with these sorts of third person action games, Wii remotes are both better controllers and much more satisfying to use.

Based on my experience so far, I give it a 6 out of 10. I'd like to say I'll play it in the future, but that didn't happen with Smash Bros, after I said the same thing. Although, I did like playing this game slightly more than Smash.
 #167054  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:45 am
I haven't picked up Splatoon again, so far.

I am just about finished Dragon Quest 5, but I'll probably continue on with the epilogue after finishing the main story.

I have been playing Rival Kingdoms a lot. They have been trying new event types, but they are brutal, requiring lots of spending and activity. This current one also requires this of the entire Kingdom. They are doing a prize track which the entire Kingdom has to go through, but unfortunately it is balanced for Kingdoms that have maximum membership size unlocked, all slots filled with players, and every one of those players to be active.
Note: Kingdoms start with slots available for about 25 or 30 players? And can go up to 50. But the Kingdom has to donate gold to projects in order to unlock that stuff.

I am not sure if they have a product manager on board, because this seems WAY too brutal for any single player to even considering spending money to boost their chances of completing the prize track. Especially when the prizes are all team based, and not individual based; so even if you spent 50+ dollars to add a cup of water instead of a few drops, you're still pouring it into a bucket, and a cup doesn't amount to much in that case. In other words, their monetization system is not very attractive.
Games which have lots of opportunity for really tiny transaction, like Clash, find that converted spenders may average out about 20 to 70 cents a day. Rival Kingdoms uses the same conversion tactic as Clash, having almost all workers available to you for $10, but Clash's monetization is based around rushing; and gives lots of free gems, whereas RK's is based around bundles and gives very little in the way of free diamonds (same as gems)... At least until higher levels. For a competing game, I wouldn't price battle rushing 50% higher than Clash, especially when frequent battles are much more freely available in RK when compared to Clash; in RK a 1.5 hour logout will mean you can battle 5X, in Clash just 1, and you'll have to break your shield; so Clash's 'rushing for troops' proposition is significantly more valuable to the player.

I still think Rival Kingdoms is a much better game than Clash, but Clash is a much better business. One big plus about RK is that the player base seems to be all adults, whereas Clash seems to be 90% under the age of 14 at this point, so global chatting and Kingdom chat is a little more interesting - people talk about their jobs, marriage, and drinking, as opposed to school, hacking, and how big their dick is.
 #167151  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:38 am
Crusader Kings 2 is a very fun game to work your way up from the bottom through political intrigue. In about 40 years my character went from being the weakest chief in all Sweden to crowning himself Emperor of Scandinavia. It involved some assassinations, political marriages, and forging claims on territory. Then it's just a matter of being an opportunist and stabbing people in the back while they're down.

Of course, part of the strategy is gaining prestige or money so you can acquire the service of additional soldiers that are far more powerful than the local armies... My character had about 200 soldiers, he had the smallest army in Sweden - but was able to get 2500 temporary soldiers by cashing in prestige, and then using those soldiers to invade and subjugate other territories. Then it's just a matter of waiting until the Kings of Scandinavia butt heads, depleting their troops, and using your own armies to kick them while their down and take their lands.
 #167190  by Don
 Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:25 am
I'm playing Pocket Three Kingdom right now. To put it simply, take Summoner's War and do a find for "Inugami" and replace it with "Wei Yan" and you get Pocket Three Kingdoms. Of course, being a big three kingdom fan I figure since Summoner's War is somewhat playable why not an obvious clone. By the way, I do mean copy & paste literally as everything in this game seems to be exactly the same as SW in terms of stats, though I think yesterday they just added some feature that wasn't in SW. Well, they also had a lot of features that makes it easier to level up, like you get a free 3-5* summon per day which I don't think was in SW. It's not a bad idea since you're not going to beat SW by being the same thing or even more hardcore so you might as well be easier. It's also a lot easier to get mana in this game. Other than being a total knockoff of SW, the only other shortcoming of this game is that there is no warning for "Do not pursue Lu Bu" (who is the Dragon Knight).

I'm also still playing Million Arthur though this recent batch is hilariously P2W. There's this dot called 'gale' and on the raid this patch the boss does quadruple damage if not under the effect of gale, and the only card that applies the gale status on all enemies comes from the latest batch of cards you got to spend money for. It's pretty hilarious that you can literally face roll the raid boss if you got a gale applied on the first turn or watch everyone die after turn 2 because you don't have gale. I had like 2 games that managed to get to turn 4 without gale which required some improbably lucky turn of events. I know it's actually possible to win the fight without gale but you basically have to be accurate to within about 100 HP on like 5 different variables when you cannot see the value of anyone's HP in this game, because there's one turn the boss will hit for like 60K on one guy when your max HP is about 35K HP, and if you calculated every CD and buff correctly your tank will survive with about 100 HP. I think MA was made by the guys in SE who did that FF9 walkthrough on the company's own website thing and then made some really gimmicky stuff so you'd visit their website. Well, FF14 is a lot like that too where there's no way you can possibly know what to do without a walkthrough and not in the sense of like WoW where a walkthrough contains info like what's the best way to spread out against some fire on the ground because even though there's ample warning it's generally preferable to have a plan rather than just try to reflex it, but you in theory could reflex this stuff. The SE stuff is always like 'when the boss attacks you got to do the secret ninja handshake or everyone immediately dies, and then put the Konami code right as the boss prepares to use his big move.'

On a somewhat related note, I noticed that the card they'd giving out for buying like $50 worth of SE branded bathing product got mega nerfed before it even went live. Is this even legal? From what I can tell a whole mess of people bought the bathing products because the promo card was ridiculously overpowered (best single target and AE nuke at the same time by far and gives you about 1K more base HP than anything remotely comparable). Is this stuff even legal? I mean sure SE will be saying like 'well this game item you get is just a bonus so we're not liable' but you'd have a hard time finding anyone who actually bought the bathing product for their value in bathing.
 #167226  by ManaMan
 Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:53 pm
PixelJunk: Shooter on PS3.

Found this one on a "Best of PS3" list and I'm really digging it: a 2D side-scolling spaceship-in-a-cave shooter. Simple, just enough challenge to make it fun (but not frustrating).
 #167416  by Louis
 Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:37 am
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls is still my go to time killer at the moment. Since none of my friends can ever decide on one platform, I have it on MAC, PS4, and XB1.

Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4) is the latest game I've picked up. My brother and his friends are really the only ones I know that are playing. They strictly own Sony consoles. Not sure why. Very fun game for someone who is awful at FPS games. My biggest gripe is no single player story/campaign.

Rock Band 4 (XB1) is my drink some beer and unwind game. Guitar exclusively right now. I haven't even removed the drum set or microphone from the box.
 #167420  by Shrinweck
 Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:28 pm
I finally got around to completing it and Tales from the Borderlands may be my favorite Telltale Games game. It dispensed (or my expectations at this point are rock bottom) with the idea of giving players the illusion of consequence in the choices and instead turned it largely into pick a gag. And each episode (except for maybe the second one, that one was kind of meh) actually made me laugh. They aren't exactly laugh riots or anything, but I was thoroughly entertained/amused while playing it. The voice actors are very good, as well. The Walking Dead is probably still objectively a better overall series, but this had more of what I want when I play a game... which isn't the depression that gets paired with survival horror.

It's on par with Wolf Among Us in terms of likability. The action was actually probably better and the quicktime events were more fun... even if they're still quicktime events lol.

It is however fairly annoying how every single one of these good games has it left open for a sequel. Not that I'm not going to buy the shit out of the sequels, but they take like 1+ years just to fucking announce them. And does there really have to be a TBA Batman and Marvel games on the docket? Just release and finish the stories for the shit they've already got going lol. We all know they aren't doing anything ground breaking with the engine or gameplay. It's fascinating to me that the episode releasing hasn't gotten quicker over time as they get more experienced. I wonder what part of the process takes however amount of time.
 #167552  by Shrinweck
 Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:31 am
Bargain Bin Prices Corner:

Pony Island is a game people should look into. It isn't a game about ponies. And it isn't a game about an island. Giving anything away would ruin it, but the gameplay has minor platforming and puzzles and is largely story based. For $5 the price is right. I'm about an hour in and I expect I'm 30% done.

Finished Undertale last week and while the SJW types screaming GOTY are probably wrong, it's an amazingly well written game. The endings (especially the two you unlock after playing through it once) are all just ridiculously amazing. JRPG type movement through the world with combat that has more in common with bullet hell. It's easy bullet hell though. If the games nicknames as "Tumblrtale" or "Undermeme" are turning you off, I'd say to stop letting other people ruin things for you. It's not only an amazing bang for your buck but for a game with 4-7 hour multiple playthroughs (with three COMPLETELY different endings) it does amazing things. $10

80 Days is a game about traveling around the world in 75 days. Haha I made a funny. Based loosely on Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days, this game is about a technologically advanced 19th century where the premise is that you're a valet for a man who has made a sizable wager that he can make it around the world in 80 days. This is a Pick Your Own Adventure type of game. The major choices in gameplay involve you picking which city you want to go to and which (potentially horrific) way to get there. It ranges from the mundane (car, train), to the fantastic (submersible trains, Star Wars type walkers capable of going to the North Pole), to the downright depressing (slave hunter caravans). To make the choices more interesting, you're given the opportunity to engage in RPG style dialogue/exploration as you travel/in cities you get to. You're given the chance to essentially play a different role as the valet even if you take the exact same route every time. You can also get pretty creative with how you go about circumnavigating the globe. I've gone around the world twice so far (takes about ninety minutes) and feel like I've experienced maybe 10-15% of the game. Also available on mobile devices, but the PC version has more... something? Everything? Eh I didn't look it up. $10.

Punch Club is a fighter manager. Your father is killed under mysterious circumstances and for Reasons™ you have to become a renowned fighter in order to uncover the mystery. You'll find yourself working for cash, working out, fighting in a gym, fighting in parking lots, fighting in the street, fighting in a sewer, fighting in an underground arena... I guess you get the idea. Most of the game is spent juggling time so you can afford to feed yourself while training for the next match. Game has a ton of 80s charm to it. The fights can't exactly be controlled. Instead you pick two (and up to five afaik as you level) skills for your fighter to use in the current round. You focus one of three stats (strength, agility, and stamina) and just build yourself up as that kind of fighter through a skill tree. $10
 #167577  by ManaMan
 Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 pm
Just started a replay of FFVII. Waves of nostalgia are coming my way.
 #167579  by Zeus
 Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:06 pm
ManaMan wrote:Just started a replay of FFVII. Waves of nostalgia are coming my way.
That caused me to remember waves of something from playing it....and it wasn't nostalgia XD
 #167583  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:44 pm
Yeah I couldn't even get very far past the first boss without stopping the time I tried to replay it a year or two ago.
 #167585  by ManaMan
 Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 pm
Haha, well it was on sale on the PlayStation Store for $4. I'm enjoying it so far.
 #167611  by ManaMan
 Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:43 am
Also playing Fallout 3 for the first time. I found a used copy w/ no box for the PS3 at the video game store down the street for $5! You really save some money playing games one generation delayed...

I never played it when it was originally released and thought I should give it a play before I play Fallout 4. Enjoying the game so far though I have a few beefs:
  • I find it difficult to find my way to places some times (hard to correlate with the map).
  • Hard to see at night time (I suppose I should just sleep?).
  • The targeting system is good but after you use up all of your "targeting points" or whatever, it's hard to aim your gun normally. Maybe that's their attempt to make it more like a turn-based RPG.
 #167619  by Shrinweck
 Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:48 pm
I basically just ordered a PS TV so I could play Person 4 Golden.