The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Now Playing

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #167634  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:29 pm
Clash Royale on iOS is obscenely addictive. It has a very interesting progression in that it is casual - that means 3 minute or less sessions - but once a day it gives you a points total to reach to unlock a chest, so I end up having a 20 minute session in the evening usually. It's also a very compatible with work type title, because in 10 seconds it's just about unlocking a chest for new cards, and starting the unlock of a new chest (3-8 hours). It is one of the best casual games I have ever come across.
 #167686  by Shrinweck
 Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:07 pm
I love Persona 4. To put this into context, my Playstation TV came on Friday and in the 24 hour period between Friday at 1PM when I set it up and threw in the game and Saturday at 1PM my save file had nearly 17 hours on it.
 #167748  by Shrinweck
 Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 pm
I really enjoyed playing Firewatch. It's a 2.5-4 hour game depending on how much you like exploring, speaking on the radio, and tend to get lost if you have issues with reading a compass and spatial awareness. The main thing you do in the game other than walk around the Wyoming wilderness is speak to the woman in the neighboring tower. A woman who you've never met. The game lives or dies based on how much you like their interaction. The mystery the game is based around is a very strong motivation to get to the games conclusion, which has become somewhat famously disappointing.

The ending isn't fantastic but it is very real. A very worthwhile way to spend an afternoon/evening. DEFINITELY get it on sale if it interests you at all. Worth the $20 but if it were $10 it would have been a really good deal.
 #167749  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 am
I just finished Adventure of Mana.

Now I am playing FF7 again on iOS and Final Fantasy Explorers on 3DS. I also got the new Crusader Kings DLC and intend to play a new game of it soon. I also plan on getting the new Fire Emblem game soon.Fire Emblem Fates is set to be by far the biggest and most feature filled FE game of all time.
 #167850  by ManaMan
 Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:49 am
I'm playing PixelJunk: Shooter 2 on PS3. I wanted something light and fun. I played the first one a while back and enjoyed it. The series reminds me of one of my favorite (little-known) Genesis games: Sub-Terrania. Worth $10.
 #168130  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:22 am
Finished Fire Emblem Conquest, took me about 65 hours.
I am now playing Fire Emblem Birthright on Insane Difficulty Mode.

Fire Emblem Revelation also just came out yesterday, which is a $20 expansion for Birthright and Fates which takes the content from both of the other games and creates a new storyline which explores some of the mystery behind what is going on in Birthright, and what is going on in Conquest. I see it as a bit like BSG: The Plan - a story that focuses on the Cylon side of things and reveals all of the mystery behind the first two seasons - except in Fire Emblem, it is an alternate timeline where the characters of Birthright and Conquest come together and uncover those mysteries.
 #168137  by Shrinweck
 Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:25 am
Path of Exile got another expansion with subclasses that you have to beat a labyrinth to unlock skill points for. The labyrinth has all kinds of great things going for it but I've gone on and on about this game enough so I'll stop there lol.

I really liked the progression of The Division but the end game is pretty nonexistent and what is there is trash. I did like the progression enough that I may make a second character to get through it all again at some point. Not a waste of money, but still disappointing. A strong 7/10 game in general.
 #168143  by Don
 Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:34 pm
Playing Grandia 2 again. The game was better than I remembered, which makes me wonder if Skies of Arcadia was worse than I remembered because I remember those two games are pretty much #1/#2 RPGs on DC (not saying too much due to a lack of games). Well, Grandia 2 pretty much fall off a cliff after Melfice because that's about halfway through the game and there's literally nobody interesting left but up to that point it's very well done. Playing the game also confirmed that the story of Grandia 2 is one of self-inflicted damage, like you have Ryudo and friends trying to figure out how to contain Valmar pieces because they always corrupt the host and blah blah. Well, if they didn't kill Aira off so quickly she seems to be totally in control of Valmar's power without being corrupted, and the only reason she gave in was that literally everyone was trying to murder her behind her back despite her special power was that she can discern the true nature of everything!
 #168146  by ManaMan
 Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:09 pm
Don wrote:Playing Grandia 2 again. The game was better than I remembered...
Man, I remember that one. I modded my Saturn so that I could play the Japanese release. I remember playing it with the printed out English fan translation by my side. Good game.
 #168147  by Eric
 Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 pm
ManaMan wrote:
Don wrote:Playing Grandia 2 again. The game was better than I remembered...
Man, I remember that one. I modded my Saturn so that I could play the Japanese release. I remember playing it with the printed out English fan translation by my side. Good game.
You would never do this nowadays would you? :p
 #168157  by ManaMan
 Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:09 pm
Eric wrote:You would never do this nowadays would you? :p
Not a fucking chance. What am I, made out of free time? :)
 #168262  by ManaMan
 Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 pm
  • Wii U: Mario Kart 8
  • Wii U: Mario Maker
  • PS3: Final Fantasy 7 (replay... when I have time)
 #168263  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm
Dwarf Fortress iPad
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Crusader Kings 2
 #168264  by Shrinweck
 Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:05 pm
I tried Enter the Gungeon. If you're decent at bullet hell games it's worth the cash. Even if you're bad at them (like me) it's still diverting.

Otherwise still playing Path of Exile a few more days until DS3.
 #168271  by Shellie
 Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:48 am
Path of Exile when I can.

The kiddo is big into Terraria right now, which usually means Sine or I or both of us will play with him. He's pretty good too. He also loves Mario Maker.
 #168367  by Shellie
 Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 pm
Stardew Valley!! Kind of obsessed at the moment. My life now requires games I can pick up and put down easily.
 #168372  by ManaMan
 Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:51 am
Shellie wrote:Stardew Valley!! Kind of obsessed at the moment. My life now requires games I can pick up and put down easily.
I've been meaning to buy that one. I've heard good things.
 #168378  by kali o.
 Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:34 pm
I've mostly played steam indies/early access lately. Most recently Halcyon 6 & Judgement. Can't really say either impressed me.
 #168390  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 am
Anyone try out any good "Walking Simulators" recently? Seriously the worst name for a genre, but it looks very interesting. I haven't played any myself, and since my CK2 game has a crash blocker, I need something to fill the gap until Paradoxes has a solution or Stellaris comes out :)
 #168474  by Replay
 Sun May 29, 2016 4:18 am
Saints Row IV.

I was surprised. I picked it up on a friend's rec, expecting fully to actually be bored. Nope, it's actually really fun.

I never loved any GTA-like games mostly because I really don't enjoy simulations about being a criminal. This one however mitigates the "be a bad person" factor quite a bit via plot and plays out like a combination of GTA, Mass Effect - and Infamous, which is really a nice addition and enhances the game tremendously.

Basically the premise is that you're such a super-ganglord that you've ascended to the Presidency - then aliens attack, and put you in a simulated world that you literally must destroy by overloading the system hosting you in order to get back to the real world and save the country and Earth. Thus I don't have to feel too bad about the various simulated ethical atrocities that come with this style of gameplay, since all the stores, pedestrians, et cetera are simulated constructs in a Pleasantville-style world the aliens have come up with to try to fool your psyche - and the addition of Matrix-like super-powers you gain from busting the simulation up is really an awesome effect. It gets very hard very fast once out in the open world, and you need the various powers and vehicles you come to command in order to survive the brutal waves of Gears Of War-style flashpoints and racing-style missions you undertake to overload the system and gain access to the real world where you can fight the aliens in earnest.

Just very well done all over. The beauty is in the open-style gameplay even more so than the world. The vast array of upgrade paths mean you can play as a ground tactician running assault-style military or street gang teams, a master vehicle driver and hijacker, or a Cole McGrath-style hotshot superhero - or any combination of the three. I have mostly opted for the latter, and it's just massively entertaining. Mastering the various ways you can destroy the simulation is great fun and it's an oddly relaxing experience for the style of game that it is. Also doesn't take itself very seriously and has a great sense of humor.

#168475  by Replay
 Sun May 29, 2016 4:30 am
Also has a really, really nice villain in Zinyak, the alien leader. Kind of a General Zod for gaming.

#168752  by Shellie
 Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 pm
Witcher 3. I've never played a Witcher game, and I'm loving this so far.
 #169283  by ManaMan
 Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:24 pm
Playing through Fallout 3: New Vegas which I never played before. Pretty good game but not quite the same level of quality as Fallout 3. Some bugs in dialogs, etc (switching voice actors between dialog sections!) but still enjoyable.
 #169550  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:08 am
Witcher 3 is one of those games I picked up on a Steam sale but never found the time to play. Thanks to Crusader Kings 2, it's possible I never may will :P
 #169552  by kali o.
 Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:46 pm
I am super bored. Nothing out there interests me. I think the next game on my radar is The Fractured But Whole. Then Persona comes out after that. Who knows...maybe I wont like either.

Wish a great deep VR game would come out.
 #169559  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:41 am
kali o. wrote:I am super bored. Nothing out there interests me. I think the next game on my radar is The Fractured But Whole. Then Persona comes out after that. Who knows...maybe I wont like either.

Don't care to try Last Guardian?
 #169566  by kali o.
 Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:12 pm
Zeus wrote:
kali o. wrote:I am super bored. Nothing out there interests me. I think the next game on my radar is The Fractured But Whole. Then Persona comes out after that. Who knows...maybe I wont like either.

I was never pumped for that. The trailer made me sleepy. I will be giving FF15 a shot. I just tried FF-something type zero...god, I thought it sucked.
 #169585  by Zeus
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 pm
kali o. wrote:
Zeus wrote:

I was never pumped for that. The trailer made me sleepy. I will be giving FF15 a shot. I just tried FF-something type zero...god, I thought it sucked.
Did you ever play Shadow of the Colossus?
 #169662  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:57 am
I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles, the first one, for a little while, as I am already up to the Fallen Hand, and am about to embark up to Mechonis.

Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii U gamepad is the best play experience available on this game for the three available methods, at least until it's inevitable Switch release. The 3DS version is the most feature complete version, but the smaller and lower resolution screen doesn't do the game any favours. Especially considering how big and detailed some areas of the game are.

While this game has the more strategic battle system, after playing Xenoblade Chronicles X, I find I miss the ability to switch between melee and ranged. Also, XCX targeting is easier, so it took me a bit of getting used to with the old system, particularly in battles with ~20-30 monsters. I actually like the more strategic approach the first game over the second. Targeting is no longer an issue once you get the character of Melia.

Melia begins off a little weak and flimsy, but it's worth it to play her even back in Makna Forest and Aryth Sea, as she takes a little getting used to, and is very fun to play after. She is a little unique, she is allowed to charge up to three spells, each working as a buff. So for example, she can charge a lightning, a fire, and an ice spell: that gives her three buffs, lighting gives her ether power, fire gives her strength, and ice gives her ether defence. Then if she uses the cast command, she will cast the latest charge (1st ice, then fire, and lightning would be the third). But because lightning was the first spell she charged, casting ice and fire will each have an ether buff attached to it, and will be more powerful as a result. Another benefit to casting Ice and fire is they will both burn and chill the target enemy, which means continuous damage for 10 seconds each.

Melina's best strategy is to charge two lightning spells (one of her skills is copy, which copies the last spell she used) giving her two stacking Ether buffs, and then keep charging and casting spells as they become available. Earth, Fire, and Ice spells all have status effects which deplete enemy HP, so casting all three + the buffs from two lightning spells means the enemy HP will deplete quickly.

But the most fun thing about Melia is you don't need to worry about positioning your character, since as a magic user she is ranged. But she does have a couple of good Melee attacks, spear break and her kick, when used back to back on a nearby enemy, she will topple them. So even though her melee attacks are weak, toppling enemies are a great way to cancel their aggro on you and put them at a disadvantage so your party members can beat on them. I like to use Riki as a healer - since he is FAR more durable than Sharla, and his big heal spell is pretty much all you need. For my third character, I like to use Seven, she is tanky, and with aggro junctions on her, she will draw all enemy fire while Riki heals, and Melia freely deals out obscene amounts of damage. Melia is also excellent at dispatching groups, since the majority of her spells target a field of multiple enemies.

In short:
Melina - main
Riki - healer
Seven - tank
 #169761  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 pm
Fire Emblem Heroes

I'm really digging it so far. The UI and UX is a WHOLE lot better than other DeNA games. I only wonder on how this game is monetizing, considering in a matter of a week I managed to earn about $100 worth in Orbs for unlocking new characters. It's going to get steeper, of course. I like dropping an initial $10-25 on games I like and plan to spend a lot of time on, but only if they offer something of value. It doesn't seem that dropping $20 will achieve much.
 #169764  by Shrinweck
 Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:00 pm
Someone was harping on about how good Tales of Berseria got after the first really terrible 90 minutes, so I decided to pick it up. I didn't even really mind the first 90 minutes so I'm quite enjoying it. Which is good - I never really connected with the Tales of Zestiria combat and Berseria is largely same-y if not the exact same thing. I may go back to Zestiria after I've beaten it since I only ever got a few hours into it. I still have Symphonia that I got for free with Zestiria to play too.

All of this is just padding until Torment: Tides of Numenera and the new Mass Effect come out, though.

Also got a bit back into Path of Exile but with the temporary leagues ending soon and the new ones beginning like two days after Torment comes out, I'm not sure if I'd call it a full fledged return yet. Maybe later this year. They're putting out another free act later this year, so there's no way I'm missing that.
 #169776  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:09 pm
I've been playing a lot of Don't Starve in the past few days. I apparently got it on mobile a long time ago, and it made no impression on me. I got the bundle on Steam at the recommendation of some friends, and played it for several hours. It's got elements about Minecraft I enjoyed without all of the stuff I wasn't so hot on, and the art style, greater variety of creatures, and more focused and meaningful experience is a nice improvement.

Tonight I'm going to be playing some of the multiplayer "Don't Starve Together" version of the game.
 #169791  by Shrinweck
 Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 pm
I paused my Berseria playthrough to get into Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. It's a strategic/tactic based squad game where you control 2-5 characters with varying abilities sounds up your alley then I definitely recommend it. It plays almost more like a puzzle game. Once you're past the initial training wheels levels each level begins like a complicated puzzle that I often had to stare at for several minutes before I could decide where and how to begin. I loved the effort it felt like pulling threads and as you get further and further into the levels things generally got easier and easier, which was interesting because in most games it's usually the opposite.

An intensely satisfying experience to figure out the levels. I can't wait until the developer does more... I got the feeling that the developers will stick with Japan but it's obviously hard to know for sure.

It does "only" take about twenty hours to beat, though. There's plenty of extra little objectives to beat in each level that could multiple that several times, but I'm not sure I'm into them. Forty dollars is a bit steep, not that I feel regret... I would recommend instabuying this for $10-$20 on sale, though.
 #169802  by Shrinweck
 Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:47 pm
I played Hollow Knight like crazy last weekend. It's probably objectively the best metroidvania game I've ever played and it comes in at 25-30+ hours if you're going for a completionist playthrough.

I think I played it for 17 of the 19 hours I was awake yesterday. I haven't gamed like that in ages lol

For the sake of your sanity (unless you're dying to play a game like this) I would wait until the frame rate issues have been patched. Nothing quite like an actual bullshit death in a game where you're going to scream bullshit when you die even when it's legitimate :D
 #169803  by ManaMan
 Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:51 pm
Hollow Knight looks cute. I might download that sometime.

I'm currently playing through Destiny: Taken King & Fallout 4 on the XB1.
 #169804  by kali o.
 Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:39 pm
Torment is tomorrow, right? My expectations are not very high -- I mean, InXile hasn't been exactly setting the world on fire....but I will be hoping for the best.

Then you have Star Trek Bridge Crew and Mass Effect in the middle of the month. SP: The Fractured But Whole & Persona at the end of March. Gonna be a busy few months for me; 3 outta 4 of those are long RPGs.
 #169807  by Shrinweck
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 am
Torment should unlock in about 2 hours. What Torment needs to live up to the original is good writing and gameplay that compliments said writing. Given Chris Avellone and Patrick Rothfuss are attached to it I think the writing is almost certainly going to be top notch. I really loved Wasteland 2 for the most part, so I'm pretty confident in inXile. I also have mostly heard only better things as the game has lingered in development. The naysayers at this point are mostly people who are angry about cuts from the stretch goals from the Kickstarter, which is a nonstarter for me considering the reasons they gave when they announced cutting them.

Torment, Mass Effect, and Persona 5. All in the next month or so. Best case scenario with all those games being good that's probably ~400 hours of gaming since all three games suggest high replay-ability and they're longish to begin with.

Edit: First impression from playing the game is that it stands up in terms of storytelling but if you want a combat heavy game then (or maybe a game where a lot of the fun is in combat) then it's probably going to be pretty mediocre.

Edit 2: For what it's worth PC Gamer gave it an 89
 #169815  by kali o.
 Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:08 pm
I am not sure what to think of torment so far (maybe 5 hours in, trying to find everything) -- the unity engine is *faaaaaaar* better used than previously (Tyranny, Wasteland, PE, etc), so that's a huge plus for me...it actually sorta looks good/modern. But the world is a little less interesting (compared to Planescape) and I am absolutely buried under the amount of text (I mean, I like reading, but this is a crazy amount).

Plot-wise, I am intrigued so far. Companions seem under-developed but not terrible.

Anyway, need more time with it, but I am leaning to a positive experience.
 #169832  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:54 am
I beat Torment and found it to be an enjoyable experience overall. I found the world to be plenty interesting, as long as I concentrated on it being its own game and not something I should be comparing to Planescape Torment. The thing I ended up telling myself as I played this was, that Planescape Torment found me at such a young age that all these fantasy/sci-fi/philosophy concepts were mind blowing. At this point in my life, the writers would literally have to be philosophers to come close to having that effect on me once again lol.

The companions I used (Matkina, Rhin, and Callisterge) were all interesting and left me wanting more... but they left me wanting more in a way that probably should have been achieved. Once you exhaust their initial dialogue trees there's very little that you get out of them for the rest of the game other than snippets in the quest lines. In comparison to Planescape Torment, this is probably the biggest failure of the game.

Actually I think that sums up my feelings on the game in general. What's there is good but there should have been more of basically... everything. I suppose at the end of the day, that's not necessarily a bad thing to say about a game. On a day where I'm feeling kind I could see why PC Gamer decided 89 would be a good score for this. I definitely love the concept of a game where basically all I'm doing is reading and making conversation choices. On a day when I'm feeling more critical, 79 would probably be more fair. It just feels like it's on the edge of being something greater.

Edit: Playing this game has convinced me to try reinstalling Pillars of Eternity. This will be the fourth time. The last two times I didn't even launch it lol
 #169868  by kali o.
 Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 pm
kali o. wrote:Torment is tomorrow, right? My expectations are not very high -- I mean, InXile hasn't been exactly setting the world on fire....but I will be hoping for the best.

Then you have Star Trek Bridge Crew and Mass Effect in the middle of the month. SP: The Fractured But Whole & Persona at the end of March. Gonna be a busy few months for me; 3 outta 4 of those are long RPGs.
I haven't revisited Torment yet, but both ST Bridge Crew and The Fractured But Whole have been delayed. Again. Plus, I hear ME Andromeda is looking to be shitty. Not looking good for team Kali and the RPG-stuffed March/April I was expecting. Hope Persona is still on track.
 #169929  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:23 am
Shellie wrote:I find it amazing how well the game taught him to think about what he needed to do to find the cubes, etc. Him and Sine beat the game, so he has moved on, but every now and then he likes to play it again. He said he loves the music in the game.
Now he's playing a lot of Overwatch. I try to steer him towards the story-based games, but he doesn't like getting stuck on a problem or dying a few times. He prefers the "Creative Mode" games, where he can just build stuff. It's good that he likes that sort of thing, but I wish I could get him into games that require more, errr, determination. (All jokes aside...)
Shrinweck wrote:Finished Undertale last week and while the SJW types screaming GOTY are probably wrong, it's an amazingly well written game. The endings (especially the two you unlock after playing through it once) are all just ridiculously amazing. JRPG type movement through the world with combat that has more in common with bullet hell. It's easy bullet hell though.
Well, it's easy until you try the Genocide ending.
Spoiler: show
Although, the big boss battle is pretty cool, as well as finding out Sans is actually the most powerful badass in the game.

It's fun to digging deeper into the secrets. Also:

Julius Seeker wrote:Anyone try out any good "Walking Simulators" recently? Seriously the worst name for a genre, but it looks very interesting. I haven't played any myself, and since my CK2 game has a crash blocker, I need something to fill the gap until Paradoxes has a solution or Stellaris comes out :)
The Stanley Parable. Antichamber, if that counts. Please, Don't Touch Anything is fun and cheap, though you're technically not "walking".
 #169930  by Shrinweck
 Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:23 am
If we're talking good Walking Sims I have to mention Fire Watch.
 #169934  by kali o.
 Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:37 am
A little too early to give an opinion but... Just from playing the intro, Persona 5 has me pretty hooked. Game is oozing with style and looks pretty good (on ps4).
 #170039  by kali o.
 Tue May 16, 2017 4:44 am
Shrinweck wrote:I finally got around to completing it and Tales from the Borderlands may be my favorite Telltale Games game.
You undersold it. Excellent story - excellent, excellent.

It is still a shitty Telltale "game",..but as long as you go into it expecting just a movie, well worth 20 bucks or less.
 #170043  by Zeus
 Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 pm
Tales from Borderlands is the best TellTale game I've played. I adored the story in Back to the Future but the gameplay was horrible. I'd much rather just have an interactive movie with multiple story paths than a frustratingly annoying game, regardless of how great the story is

The Batman TellTale game is very good two, second best one
 #170083  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 pm
I just finished SOMA. I feel like it was a missing puzzle piece to how life works. Why is nobody talking about this game?

Tried Sunless Sea for a while. I just couldn't get into it. The gameplay loop kinda sucks, and the writing, its biggest selling point, uses Lovecraftian absurdism as a lazy crutch.
 #170087  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:23 pm
Right now I am pretty much jumping between Crusader Kings 2 (By Odin, Tyr, and Freyr I'm addicted), Disgaea 5, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

There was an update to Zelda where you can activate an overlay on the worldmap detailing a line of Link's travels through the world, and even after 100 hours of play I had no idea that there was still about 2/3rds of the world I hadn't explored, some areas are gigantic too, pretty much everything from the Hebra Plains in the North West, around the back of Hyrule Castle, the Forest of Mist, and all the area North of Death Mountain all the way out to Akkala, probably a good region of about 60-80 square kilometers that I had never even entered, just in that one area. Even down in the South West, an area I thought I had thoroughly explored still has tons of land I have yet to visit. So, I have a lot of lands to plunder! I know I am missing a bunch of shrines and a few Faery Fountains as well, now I know where they may be located.

Crusader Kings 2 - I have been playing as a vassal, as I find I am too tempted to get too gamey playing as a leader. I still play in a bit of a gamey-like fashion, but I am having more fun with the role playing aspects; and this latest update, Monks and Mystics, has made it more fun. Basically, part of my goals of each character I play is to get initiated into the Cult of Hel, and do all sorts of American-Psycho-esque type stuff to peasants and other nobles; it's pretty much the black comedy update.
 #170096  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:20 am
kali o. wrote:
Shrinweck wrote:I finally got around to completing it and Tales from the Borderlands may be my favorite Telltale Games game.
You undersold it. Excellent story - excellent, excellent.

It is still a shitty Telltale "game",..but as long as you go into it expecting just a movie, well worth 20 bucks or less.
Apparently they just did an AMA where they said that both Tales from the Borderlands and Wolf Among Us both won't be getting sequels in the foreseeable future. Wolf Among Us just doesn't sound like it's in the cards and Borderlands sounds like Gearbox would need to okay the sequel for it to get made. Maybe in the future when they're trying to drum up hype for Borderlands 3 and its inevitable DLC?

I'm going to guess their next games will be Batman, Game of Thrones, and Minecraft... a big who cares out of me on all of those. I guess they got their hands on the James Bond license too but that doesn't really float my boat either.
 #170138  by Don
 Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm
Beat Cat Quest on Steam. It's only about 5 hours long but a very fun game. Only complaint is that the enemies don't actually get more interesting attacks later and instead just gets to more attacks at the same time so you get cases where something is using an attack that hits up/down, left/right, diagonal, and two circular around enemy position at the same time, and all you can do is pretty much run away and hope they didn't refresh another one of the circle attacks while you're making your swing animation. Dragonbane reminds me of getting Orlandu in FFT or Hero's Pike in Terranigma as it's very hard to lose the main quest once you have it, and bizarrely enough Dragonbane doesn't have additional effect on dragons or dragonbloods. Still, it's good to see a game that's slightly too short rather than just dragging out needlessly.

After doing most of the side quests, I feel this game is almost like Terranigma light. It's a very sad story told in a very hopeful (and goofy) way, but the underlying story is incredible sad. The major characters of the game also have an obvious parallel to the Ark/Elle/Yomi trio. And unlike Terranigma the dead cat count is high and it's not even pretending you can save most of them. Pretty much everything sided with the dragons are going to die. Everything on Drakoth's side is going to die. Even random peasant cats gets eaten by wyverns or something. Even the winning side, the Dragonbloods, their entire existence of Dragonbloods is some kind of tragedy consider they were either betrayed or double KOed with a dragon, and then forced to suffer eternally no matter what until the hero came around. I'm pretty sure the final weapon you get is supposed to be Dragonblood Bane as opposed to Dragonbane, because dragons are actually pretty weak in this game compared to Dragonbloods.
 #170139  by kali o.
 Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm
Shrinweck wrote: Apparently they just did an AMA where they said that both Tales from the Borderlands and Wolf Among Us both won't be getting sequels in the foreseeable future. Wolf Among Us just doesn't sound like it's in the cards and Borderlands sounds like Gearbox would need to okay the sequel for it to get made. Maybe in the future when they're trying to drum up hype for Borderlands 3 and its inevitable DLC?

I'm going to guess their next games will be Batman, Game of Thrones, and Minecraft... a big who cares out of me on all of those. I guess they got their hands on the James Bond license too but that doesn't really float my boat either.
I was never a Borderlands fan (I really havent played it) -- so for me, it wasnt the license...it was just a great game/story.