The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Azure Striker Gunvolt for $8 on Steam right now

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #168135  by Don
 Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 pm
On sale until the 14th so I picked it up figuring why not. The entire game feels like a homage to Megaman X4 that I constantly find myself thinking I can double jump and jump into my death because I forgot I don't have it unless I got Anthem. Speaking of Anthem, that's literally like Maverick Zero descending with full power in X5 and it feels like the scene from One Piece where Enel randomly died immediately fighting some loser and then just resuscitated with himself with lightning power because he can. It's not to say the game is easy but throughout the game I always got the impression that it's your opposition that's hopelessly outmatched because it's like you fight the 7 Sins that have err... evil power... or something... against you, the guy with Lightning power and can randomly come back from the dead with an infinite special bar because Lumen's singing for you. Sometimes it feels like the boss should be taking damage for walking into you, not the other way around, because that's how overpowered Gunvolt feels like he's supposed to be in the story and gameplay. The enemies are supposed to have special anti-adept weapons like One Piece just to be able to hit Gunvolt!

I don't like how this game seems to be designed to be one of those score run thing, as in the entire combat system is probably meant for people to put up YouTube videos of how cool they are by memorizing the layout of everything and whatnot, and you literally just tag something the minimal number of time and then hold down your lightning field racking up the points. Speaking of the lightning field, I find it pretty hard to even see what's on the screen since that ability covers most of the screen with electricity going in random directions and if you're fighting something that can hit through the lightning field I end up just trading hits because I can't see where the telegraphed attacks are anyway. I got the feeling that you're supposed to feel awesome with your lightning field, and it is, but being blinded by your own special attack is kind of silly. The gameplay would be a lot better if it's not setup to be a score attack gimmick. That is, in a Megaman game there was never any intention to set up enemies to be fought in a gimmicky way, though you may just happen to figure out cool tricks because it helps you get through the stage faster while taking less damage.

The music is really good, and the story is pretty good too. Well, I think they just copied everything good in MMX4 and MMX5, which I have no problem with.

The presentation of this game is really great, but it's very poorly integrated into the gameplay. For one thing, the game defaults to the 'no voice' option because Inticreates couldn't bothered to have gotten US voice actors so apparently Inticreates decided the best option is to just have absolute silence instead even though they're supposed to be talking about why they're fighting and all that stuff. Of course, the chat text covers up half of your screen so good luck trying to dodge anything with your screen covered by your own lightning spam + text, though since GV is borderline indestructible so you don't lose much for trying to read the text while getting totally slapped because it's hard to actually die. I'd think the best way to actually handle this would be to have the characters actually say the stuff without having the chat pop up in the middle of battle but then that'd require the characters actually talk in English to make any sense, though I believe even in the Japanese version you'd have to have the chat clogging up the screen because there isn't an option to just listen to characters talk without the chat text.

Joule has a ton of things to say when you're back at your apartment, which really helps building the character.

The whole getting 1000 kudos for the song part is totally backwards. I'm guessing they're trying to showcase the songs but you'd have to be ridiculously good at the game to hit 1000 kudos there's no way the songs can draw you in because you'd have to master the game in the first place long before you'll hear any of them. Again it's a case of confusing cause & effect, as in you're supposed to want to get good at the game because the game is good/fun, not because there's some ranking or whatever that depends on perfect playing. MMX4 was the only Megaman game I totally memorized all the layout and everything and that's just because I played the game so many times because it's that good. There was never any special reward for knowing each level like the back of your hand but the game was good enough that you pick these things up from playing the game repeatedly.