The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Langrisser Mobile

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #171090  by Don
 Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 am
So this is coming out tomorrow, and I've noticed the advertisement always reads like 'play the legendary Japanese SRPG blah blah blah' and then today someone pointed out to be that there is actually no Japanese version of the game. The voice overs are in Japanese, but no version of the game in Japanese exists. I think some Chinese guys paid $10 to the rights and figure they want to hype it up as some kind of 'Japanese game that nobody's ever played' but didn't bother even attempting to release this in Japan.

That said, from the beta the game actually plays pretty well. The marketing of this game reminds me a lot of Onmyoji, another Chinese games that has marketers that sounds like the game is a total scam but the game actually is quite respectable.
 #171126  by Don
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 pm
So this game turns out to be a lot better than I thought. One thing that's interesting is that you can just play the time rifts and it's basically getting a modern and more balanced version of Langrisser 2 for free. The difficulty is surprisingly hard but it's not like the competitive elements or even the dungeons where you get slapped silly if you didn't grind like crazy. They basically condensed the important parts of the game in the key battles so that everything feels coherent and there's always action in the story since the fodder battles are more or less trivial.

Speaking of the game itself, this feels like one of those games where you have to grind gear to get pass gear check in a MMORPG but it starts at level 25 or so. You simply can't expect to go in with the stuff you started with and get anywhere so you got to all the dungeons constantly to stay ahead, and of course every 5 levels or so there's a big jump and you get smacked silly again and repeat. Of course, if you're patient you can just level up on dailys since you get about 400 XP from doing dailys, and in this game 1 XP = 1 AP and one AP is generated once every minute, so even if you did nothing with your AP other than dailys you get about half of the XP you'd get toward leveling. Well, you got to get XP potions to level too, but the bottleneck is increasing the level cap which is heavily time-gated. I'm level 30 right now and it looks like even whales are only level 32 (you can buy more AP but apparently can only buy about 500 AP a day directly).