The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Help with a handheld

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #171102  by kali o.
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 pm
I really want to play Culdcept Revolt -- which means I need a DS.

I haven't bothered with handhelds for like 20 years and I am seriously confused. Can one of you more experienced people clarify the following (yes, I googled first but got frustrated and confused).

1. Which DS model should I buy (3ds, 2ds, galaxy super fucking awesome edition)? All I really care about is Culcept

2. Can the DS, any model, project/cast to my TV or do I have to play on the small screen only?

3. Any other recommended games (like strat rpgs ala. FF Tactics / Ogre Battle)?

Thanks if anyone has the answers.
 #171105  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 pm
Answers:
1. 3DS or new 3DS (super fucking awesome edition if you can find it).
2. Nope, it's a traditional handheld. You can get an XL model for a larger screen.
3. You might dig Fire Emblem Awakening. The last Tactics Ogre game was Knight of Lodis on GBA. There is the FF Tactics Advance series on 3DS, but I am not a fan of those. Some others here may be able to advise you better on that series. You might also like Radiant Historia.

Others might be of better help to you on software front, I haven't really touched 3DS in about 2 years.
 #171111  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:03 pm
If you're looking for a handheld to play FFT on, Vitas aren't overly pricey. I basically got mine as a portable Xenogears player - though I also do the old FF games (including FFT) and perhaps even Suikoden 1 and 2 at some point as well. I believe the Vita can project to screen, but you need additional hardware (like a PS3/4 or something). I've never tried it.

Nintendo Switch does the small screen to big screen very easily: and it puts a controller in your hand as well. It depends what you're looking for, but there's already a diverse library that is going to get much more interesting (at least based on the sorts of stuff I like) in 2019. Battery tends to last about 3-8 hours (3 for more intensive games like Zelda, 8 for stuff like Hollow Knight), if you are using it during travel.

Langrisser 1 and 2, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Civilization 6, Valkyria Chronicles, Banner Saga, are some strategy games already on it or coming in 2019. Others might be better to ask about this though, I've only played Disgaea 5 Complete on Switch, out of all those games. I've heard great things about Civ 6, and playing that one on PC, I've always imagined it would work better on a handheld console, or mobile due to its simplicity.

Unfortunately the mobile version of FFT doesn't work very well due to all of the small elements. I have found the Square side of mobile publishing is kind of shit, but the Enix side tends to be awesome, as they tend to go for functional rather than stylish approaches. Surprisingly, the Final Fantasy Adventure remake worked very well.
 #171117  by kali o.
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Nah -- I wouldn't touch a handheld if not for the overwhelming desire for a new Culdcept. I will look into your first suggestion (Fire Emblem) too.

But you know...as I write this...I wonder if a decent 3DS emulator exists. I don't know why I didn't think of that -- that would solve my small screen issue too.

EDIT: Citra (emulator) works perfectly. Playing Culdcept Revolt on a 65" screen with no issue. Grabbed Fire Emblem and a few others like the Pheonix Wright trilogy.
 #171123  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:37 pm
Phoenix Wright trilogy is one of my favourites, although I feel it's best played in handheld; kind of like a book.

I believe you can get it mostly free on mobile as well.