The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• FF14 Return To Ivalice FFT

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #172005  by Don
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:59 am
Saw this while in some other boards. Looks like it's been out for like an year, but since I don't play FF14 that's the first time I heard about it.

TG Cid: https://youtu.be/DgcwJ4jSgj0
Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Utj8XTS_w
Post Ending stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjmALhvdV1g

There are more battle stuff but they all look more or less the same. This is a timeline where the FFT heroes failed to defeat Altima and only sealed her away.

Some random thoughts:

Having the FFT moves without the move name at the end just seems lame. I mean I know it sounds dumb going 'blah blah blah blah blah... STASIS SWORD!" or whatever but I think that's the whole point of shouting out your move name after the lengthy incantation that seemingly has nothing to do with whatever you're doing. I guess it fits English better but it really messes up the environment.

Algus apparently gets his own boss battle. I'm not sure why they're obsessed with a guy who had like 5 lines and died in the prologue.

Ramza and Alma didn't have a voice actor. Apparently they're too cheap to have like the two central figure of the story actually say anything.

Meliadoul was so unimportant that they got her gender wrong (guy in green robe at the ending at the far right). Or maybe they thought you recruited her brother instead. For that matter, it seems like most people don't know Meliadoul is the older sibling compared to Izlude. That makes her the second most forgotten female of the story.

Princess Ovelia is completely forgotten and does not show up anywhere or mentioned. I guess in the original story, after Delita killed her he just went back and thought about what to get for lunch. She's probably supposed to be the lead female even though it often looks like Agrias is in that role instead and we somehow had a FFT story without her being involved in any way whatsoever. Well, the fight took place in Orbonne Monastery where you first met her, so I guess that's something.

Alma brought some popcorn just like she did on the original timeline and did absolutely nothing, even though I think it's implied that she could've easily soloed Altima on her own. I'm assuming she was supposed to be the one that takes the Ultima. If they want to go alternative timeline, wouldn't it be better that Altima gets Alma's body? I mean the idea is supposed to be that you got to stop Altima from getting Alma's body or you wouldn't even have a chance since Alma is probably meant to be the next Heavenly Knight and they're really not kidding when they say Ramza is like the weakest out of the Beoulve siblings.

The post ending stuff with Ramza and Alma acting out the opening scene of FFT seems incredibly lame. The narrator is probably supposed to be Olan's descendent who went through a lot of hardship to bring you what really happened. On the other hand, I don't think Ramza actually got shafted as the story implies. I don't think he was ever meant to be a superhero and he's more like a commander and TG Cid probably did most of the work on the final fight. Since Alma clearly did not die in the final battle it's not like he lost anything really significant there. If people like Agrias was supposed to die in the final battle the blame should go to Alma for running around in a circle like a damsel in distress instead of delivering some swift Beoulve beatdown. It's not like Ramza ever cared about his noble name anyway.

Overall I think it's still a nice gesture they bring the FFT cast back even if it's on a platformer wannabe like FF14. For some reason Square never thought they should redo FFT unless it's going to be the Algus special. You'd think this is something you can actually improve a lot in a sequel or remake since the relevant characters fall off a cliff after Gafgarion died and neither of the lead females, Alma or Ovelia, ever seemed like they're actually all that important even though most of the conflict is centered around their status.
 #172013  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 am
Sounds to me like Matsuno, and perhaps the former Quest team, had nothing to do with it. Unfortunately and ironically, Square has no reason to satisfy the canon of a property they own, this disappointing the fans who actually do care about it.

Seems like nothing has changed since Chrono Cross.
 #172014  by Don
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 am
I think they actually consulted the original team and it was like 'what if we had a FFT ending where everyone died that we can use for FF14'. In this FF14 scenario everyone died while fighting Altima which is why you're supposed to organize a party to pick up where the FFT heroes left off. I mean, it wouldn't exactly go too well if the fight went like how everyone thinks where TG Cid said "that was a powerful foe, took 2 Lightning Stabs to kill her instead of just one." In the FF14 version Agrias, Mustadio, and TG Cid got killed by Ultima and Ramza sacrificed his life and was like 'I leave this to your hands hero!' while the FF14 guys finished it off. I just thought it's pretty funny that given the whole point of Altima's resurrection was fighting over Alma's perfect body that she doesn't even appear in the final battle, unless I missed a part where it says Altima already has Alma's body (which would explain why FFT heroes had no chance).

Though not intended, I was reading the comments that TG Cid is much harder than Altima. It looks like Agrias, Mustadio, and TG Cid took some Super Saiyan pills while waiting for a worthy hero to take down Altima and stylistically it's actually pretty cool, though again anyone who is a veteran of FFT will tell you that TG Cid, let alone TG Cid plus help, sure don't need anyone's help in beating Altima. I realize it's obviously not part of the game plot, but TG Cid's brokenness is legendary. I just don't know how you can revisit FFT without acknowledging that!

In the final scene where Ramza is like 'now I can finally rest' it was Delita, Alma, and Olan who went to get him to the other side. No Ovelia at all! It always struck me as pretty weird that FFT never had any kind of effort to milk it some more unless you count War of the Lions, and it's like the forgotten stepchild of the FF universe. I know it's not the biggest FF name out there, but I'm under the impression that it is widely loved and got a loyal fanbase more than enough to make a buck and it's still treated like some kind of trash tier throwaway IP.